Thread: ZCO default msi settings not working

zfeschtli Guest

Default ZCO default msi settings not working

Hi all,
    we have the problem that the customized settings in the zco msi do not work. if we create a new profile in outlook all the settings are empty.

does anybody have the same problem? any newer version available which fixes this problem?

thanks a lot for any hint/help.
    Patrick

ps. we are using: ZimbraOlkConnector-5.0.13_GA_2790_5.0.2893.13.msi

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

Default ZCO Customizations

The new version coming out in a few days has different behavior and would probably solve your problem, but this should still be able to work with the existing version. I suggest uninstalling and re-installing the Outlook connector on the machines in question. I would download the .msi again, and do your customization. On the re-install, make sure that it doesn't assume you are upgrading; make sure it's a real install. Upgrade doesn't change any registry keys. If it things it's an upgrade, we can get change that.

Let me know what happens.

Note that you can wait for the new version (5.0.15). That one handles things differently. In any case, I suggest an uninstall and re-install.

zfeschtli Guest

thanks for your answer.

i found now the problem. we deploy the package by GPO. the settings from the msi goes into the registry but only into the default user part. all our users do already have profiles so the values are never loaded into the current user profile.

why you don't write the settings to local machine and read it while starting up outlook from there? never saw such a strange way to provide default settings for users.

hope the next version will do it better.

thanks and regards
    Patrick

Default 5.0.15 -- new registry behavior

The new version is 5.0.15. It is out now. In the new version, we write all default values to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zimbra. Anything the user does goes into HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZIMBRA. When querying values, we will first look under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and if we don't find the value there, we will look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. If we don't find the value under there, we will use a default value. If users have anything lying around under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, we will use it. We debated this point, and figured that some users would want us to use the HKCU values, and others wouldn't. So we picked the one that seemed most logical.

In order to avoid any unwanted behavior, I think the best thing to do with the new version is to uninstall the old version, and reinstall this one. You can do your customizations on the new msi, and all those keys and values will be written to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ZIMBRA. If you really wanted to start out fresh, you would want to delete everything from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZIMBRA. Sometimes the installer doesn't clean up everything.

Make sure it's really a new install, though. I have seen cases where GUIDS under HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion \\Uninstall part of the registry stick around, and we think it's an upgrade rather than a new install.

Of course, this is up to you though -- it's just a suggestion, and I just want to make sure you are aware of the new behavior.

zfeschtli Guest

oh this sounds cool! thanks a lot for the answer. i have 2 more questons now.

1. how to get the latest version. do I always need to download the hole package just for the new ZCO?

2. is it also possible to pre configure the users e-mail address so that he has just to provide the password and not anything more? i couldn't find anything in the documentation. how is the registry key called it there is a way to do that?

thanks a lot for your help
    Patrick

I imagine you can get the new version the same way you got the other versions. I'm not sure, but it's probably on the support portal.

As for pre-configuring the email, that is not supported. When you config, we default to the windows USERNAME environment variable. If your Zimbra username is the same as that environment variable, then you can just enter the password.

Forgot to mention. Usually, we say that you should upgrade the server first, so that you wouldn't want to run a 5.0.15 ZCO with a 5.0.13 server. Sometimes server changes can be incompatible with older ZCO versions. It's generally ok to run an earlier ZCO version with a later server version.

I'm pretty sure that in this case though, you'll be ok just downloading ZCO.

zfeschtli Guest

thanks a lot for your answers. the new version 5.0.15 works fine and i'm happy. hope we can solve our problems we have with the server also by installing the latest version.

I like your support and the response time. thanks again.
    patrick

Thread Information