Thread: Replying/forwarding mail sent to Outlook personas

mjdl is offline Intermediate Member

Unhappy Replying/forwarding mail sent to Outlook personas

I've designated one of the email address personas I've set up in Zimbra as the "Outlook identity", so that all replies I send will use that email address, EXCEPT When replying or forwarding messages sent to one of the email address personas I've set up, in which case the email address will be that of the persona (I've used the options in the Zimbra web client persona preferences to activate this behaviour). Up until the Zimbra server/connector upgrades 5.0.7+, this setup worked perfectly: replied or forwarded email went out as if originating from one of my email addresses it was originally sent to, and the Outlook message reply composition form had a grey background strip message just above the Subject and To fields indicating "This message will be sent from xyz@example.com", where xyz@example.com was one of my addresses the original email was sent to.

Now all that no longer works: replies to messages sent to one of my email address personas just originate from whatever I've designated as my "Outlook identity", as the aforementioned message on the reply message composition form never appears.

Was just a fluke that this feature originally worked with the Outlook connector (actually one of the principal reasons I switched to Zimbra), or is this feature something that I should expect to work in the Outlook connector?
    Last edited by mjdl; 10-16-2008 at 03:40 PM.

mlanner is offline Special Member

mjdl,

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm facing the same problem with one of our users and he's not very happy. :S

No, I never resolved the problem.

MJDL

Nicoboum is offline Junior Member

Hi,

Did any of you managed to get this resolved ?

I'm facing this problem with a bunch of users, they're not very happy neither :/

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Please update your forum profile with the output of the following command (do not post the output in this thread):

Code:
    zmcontrol -v
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicoboum View Post
    I'm facing this problem with a bunch of users, they're not very happy neither :/
    To start with, you need to provide some details of the exact problem including your Zimbra and Outlook Connector versions, you could also provide a log file (see the wiki or forums for details on how to get a log file) for review. You might also want to open a support case and/or file a bug report for this problem and you could start with a search of bugzilla to see if this problem has already been reported.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Nicoboum is offline Junior Member

Thank you for your answer, i'll try to be more accurate (I'm french, i'll probably make some gramma mistakes though...).

First of all, i've not access to the server through ssh, i can only manage it through the admin web page (the administrators and hosters roles are splitted in kind of a strange way here..), so i won't be able to tell you the output of the command you suggested, i'll ask the hoster to do so..

My connector version is 6.0.7. The server version written in "About Zimbra Server" on the web interface is "Version 6.0.7_GA_2476.RHEL4.NETWORK".

There is a bug report seems to be close to my problem here :
    Bug 46521 – When sending from a persona within Outlook, the sender address shows within the TO: section within the sent folder of the Web UI

I don't think it's necessary to open a support case since it is EXACTLY the problem mentioned earlier by mjdl.

I'll describe my exact situation :
    There's a mailbox which is used to answer to send newsletters and other things. I shared this mailbox with the users concerned, and allowed them to reply using this address.
    On Outlook, they are getting the mails, but when it comes to replying, the mail is send using their own mail addresses (In french it appears like "user@domain.com de la part de persona@domain.com", which is probably the translation for "user@domain.com from persona@domain.com").

So, i created personas on each of their Outlook, and now, they have access to a drop down menu where they can choose the persona used for the reply.
    The thing is, therefore, our configuration was made in such a way so that the sender was automatically set (we used IMAP and SMTP server).

Now, they are constantly mistaking, and they are blaming us (we changed the way they worked, i can understand).

So the question is : Is there a way to automatically respond using the address of the shared mailbox instead of our own ?
    Or is there a way to configure personas depending on the folder it is sent from ?

Thank you, and sorry for my english.

edit: Most of the users are using Outlook 2007, some are using Outlook 2003, but I didn't tried with this version yet.
    Last edited by Nicoboum; 08-06-2010 at 05:02 AM.

I am not using Zimbra any longer (the change is not a result of this bug).

Thread Information