I have several users that are having an issue syncing their inbox's with the Zimbra server. I've seen this behavior before and I can't remember what I did to resolve it. The connector version is 5.0.2 as well as the server. I have tried creating a new profile for the user in outlook as well as totally removing and re-installing the ZCO. The problem still exists. It appears that the Zimbra connector gets about 5 megs of the inbox downloaded before it kicks outlook into offline mode. Once you allow Outlook to work online again it tries downloading until it gets to 5 megs than throws it offline again. Nothing appears in the inbox either when it says it is syncing. There is no virus scan on the machine and no firewall. The machine was working fine prior to today and no changes have been made. The odd thing is one of the users having this issue only has a 5.7MB Mailbox so I don't think this is being caused by size. Please advise.