Thread: Persona behavior in Outlook

wroozeboom is offline New Member

Default Persona behavior in Outlook

I recently installed the Zimbra Connector for Outlook on a fresh machine with Outlook 2007. The connector is 5.0.5, the server is 5.0.4. My service provider will be upgrading the server to 5.0.5 this weekend.

I have multiple personas set up on the server, and these were imported correctly to Outlook.

I noticed that I can only set the "Use this persona as Outlook Identity" for one persona. I can send an email correctly from Outlook, and it appears to come from that persona.

However, it doesn't seem like I can send an email from any of the other personas. I would have expected that when I create a new email, there would be a drop down where I could select which persona to send from.

Am I missing something, or is this a bug? It would seem logical to be able to be able to send from a persona without having to go set it as the "outlook identity".

Any ideas? Thanks.

Just an update on this. My client is 5.0.5 and the server is 5.0.6, and this is still an issue. When I create a new email, I don't have an option to send from a different persona other than the "current" one, which is set on the Personas tab in Outlook.

Can someone from the Zimbra team tell me if this is a bug, or am I expecting something that ZCO was never meant to do?

Thanks.

djingo is offline Intermediate Member

We are having the same problem.

In another post I was told that this feature would be implemented in 5.0.6 but I just updated and do not see any changes.

It would be really nice to have an answer from the zinbra team:

Is there a way in outlook 2003/2007 to set the "from field" according to the personas configured for the user ? ( something like the dropdown menu when you have multiple accounts)

Thanks all!

cdavis is offline Starter Member

We have the same problem. We are using connector version 5.0.2615.6 and server version 5.0.6 with Outlook 2003. The Personas tab shows up in Outlook and syncs with the server, but nowhere in Outlook can we choose which account to reply as. It always defaults to the main account.

Anyone from Zimbra that can clarify if there is any solutions and/or if this feature will be implemented ?

Thank you

Maurice Knarren is offline Starter Member

When composing a new message in Outlook you can select menu 'View' -> Show 'field from'.
    Now it's possible to send your message on behalf of another person. You can select the from address from your global address list.

This works fine for me on all 5.0.x ZCO versions.

Although there seems to be a little problem (bug?) with the 5.0.2615.6 client.

When sending on behalf of another person the reply-to address is set to myself. With the previous client versions it worked fine...

(Server is running 5.0.6_GA_2299)

Thanks for the reply Maurice. I was not aware that you could set the From field to anything you want in Outlook.

However, this isn't really a solution. I see that the reply to address does not match the from address, and on the receiving end, it shows the "sent on behalf of" your default account message.

What most of us were expecting, was to be able to use the personas in Outlook similar to how they can be used through the web interface. This means when composing a new message you can select to send it from any of your personas. And on the receiving end, it looks completely normal...the reply to address matches that of the persona and there is not "sent on behalf of" in the from field.

I'm surprised nobody from Zimbra has stepped in to tell us what ZCO is supposed to do. If it's a bug, fine. If ZCO isn't meant to do this, fine. Just please let us know.

And it takes a lot to open everytime the address book to select the correct sender. There should be a drop down menu containing the configured personas.

gtrkev is offline Starter Member

Default Persona drop down list - Outlook 2003/2007

I'm using Outlook 2003 with connector version 6.xxx

When I create a NEW e-mail, there is a dropdown next to the "Send" button that says "Accounts". That lists all the different persona's.

It looks like you will need to select the persona you want from the dropdown for each e-mail while using outlook. I do not see the dropdown in the main outlook screen. You have to be composing a message. Maybe that works the same in version 5.0.

andy.robbins is offline New Member

Default Must "Apply" before Accounts button appears

For anyone who runs into this thread researching the same problem as I am, there seems to be a bug with older versions of Outlook (my org is running 2003) where the Accounts drop-down button on the new message window does not show up even though you're running the latest version of the ZCS Connector for Outlook and your configured personas seem to have imported correctly.

To get the "Accounts" drop-down button to appear, I had to go into Tools --> Options --> Personas and click "Apply". Once I did that, the "Accounts" button shows up. Took a while to figure that one out.

Thread Information