Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java Outlook Connector

marstonstudio is offline Junior Member

Default Java Outlook Connector

Heard about this java outlook connector on the JavaPosse podcast.

http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t62045.html
    http://www.moyosoft.com/joc/

It costs about $250 for a developer's license so I can't imagine that it would provide a viable foundation for an alternative for the zimbra outlook connector. But I thought it looked interesting.

mintra is offline Special Member

Default This would not be an easy alternative

Zimbra wanting a minimum 50 user perpetual licence really screws up me being able to sell the network version to all my smaller customers.

So I am on the hunt for a MAPI alternative.

This java thing looks a bit difficult, however has anyone tried the bynari connector with Zimbra?

I guess this would work and the outlook calendars would sync, but they would not sync with the web based calendar.

John

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by mintra
    however has anyone tried the bynari connector with Zimbra?
    This most likely won't work. It would need to talk to our server via our SOAP api and I doubt they designed it that way.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by mintra
    Zimbra wanting a minimum 50 user perpetual licence really screws up me being able to sell the network version to all my smaller customers.
    Have you looked at hosting for these smaller shops?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

mintra is offline Special Member

Default Yes butlimits my choice

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Have you looked at hosting for these smaller shops?
    Problem I have is that we have sold a lot of Cobalt Qube systems and our customers are used to having mailserver on site. This is also a lot quicker if you mail is 100Mbit rather than xDSL 1Mb with contention.

Where I have most anger is the customer I have with 15 users and we have run tool to move everything from their exchange 2003 server. However they have chosen to stick with outlook and outlook makes imap confudiong for the customers.

The result is that the open source version is a duff product compared to excahnge in the eyes of the outlook user.

I wish they would go for thunderbird.

With Zimbra I give them more and they feel they get less.

I would not mind that the fact you do not sell the mapi connector separately if I could actually supply a mail server tosmall custommers with a hosted backup server.

As it stands Zimbra discriminate against smaller customers. I can by 5 user packs for excahnge.

I would not be so utterly frustrated if Zimbra was not such a good product and the help we have had from you was not so good.
    Last edited by mintra; 03-14-2006 at 01:33 PM.

In the future we may have options to purchase Network Edition licenses for groups smaller than 50. It's just not something we have available today. Out of curiosity, what do you pay for Exchange today? What price/packs would you consider reasonable for Zimbra to acceptable for your smaller clients? It would be interesting and valuable to hear your feedback.

iansbrainstorm is offline Active Member

With outlook connector a 10 licence pack in my experience would cover a lot of small businesses. Charge a bit more per licence. Do that and my credit card is ready to go. I can highly reccomend http://www.milwaukeemicro.com/ as an exceptionaly good host with brilliant customer service even though they are on the other side of the world. The only issue I find with hosting is there is not a lot of flexability because as I understand any changes made on the server affect all domains on that Zimbra server.

People want facilities like corporate exchange server even for personal use and to be compeditive with free email services like Gmail products like Zimbra need to be ahead of the game and accessable to all. A 50 user licence cuts a lot of people out.

At some point we'll offer smaller packs and web ordering. Today if you can't afford a 50 user pack then your best bet is to use a hosted provider. Hosted email gives you an Outlook connector for the smallest of groups, without the cost/hassle of needed to maintain a server, and worry about backups etc.

iansbrainstorm is offline Active Member

Yes I understand and agree with that totally except a host will have options set on their server that covers all their hosted clients. I am told that if I want a change it will affect every domain hosted. Am I correct in understanding Zimbra licences must be used all on the same server?

Zimbra has COS (class of service) so you can easily set options for a group of users or individual users. If there are options that are only set server wide and effect some users then we should make that a COS value. In general that should never be the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information