Thread: Missing Email Problem

prox is offline Intermediate Member

Default [SOLVED] Missing Email Problem

Hi Everyone,

We're currently running Release 4.5.10_GA_1575.UBUNTU6 UBUNTU6 NETWORK PROFESSIONAL edition. I hope you don't mind if i give a brief introduction before I begin to convey my problem. Thank you.

Previously we were running ZCS 4.5.5 GA 838 and the Outlook Connector that we were using came along with this version (ZCS 4.5.5).
    From that point on we never installed any new Outlook Connector versions that came out with (ZCS 4.5.6, 4.5.7, 4.5.9) as to reinstall the outlook connectors for 100 users would be very troublesome and the users would get irritated at updating the connectors with every server update.

Everything was running fine till we encountered missing inline texts sometimes, not always when we forwarded or replied mails, so to reproduce the problem and bring it up in the forum would be difficult. We decided to solve the problem by upgrading both the server and the outlook connector to the latest version ZCS 4.5.10 GA 1575 somewhere around last month.

It managed to solve the problem of missing inline text... but caused an even bigger problem of missing emails.

E.g. of a mail sent
    To: jholder@zimbra.com; mmorse@zimbra.com
    Cc: phoenix@zimbra.com; someone@zimbra.com

The recipients in bold (mmorse@zimbra.com and someone@zimbra.com) MAY sometimes not receive anything at all. This only happens when mail is forwarded or replied INTERNALLY, externally we will never know if the other party receives the email or not unless they reply. So far this has been an internal problem only.

Anyone have any idea how to solve this problem? If I upgrade to the latest version of ZCS 5.0.2 GA (does this version support Network Professional Edition, outlook connector and mobile synching?) will it solve this problem?

Sorry its quite lengthy. Need to get this solved over the weekend urgently. Advise and support would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by prox; 03-16-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: [SOLVED]

bump~~~~~~

Any help or reply would be appreciated please? Thank you.

None of the users are using AVG, which I've read up on previous missing inline text which other zimbra forum users have faced in the past.

2days have past and I guess I'll be in hot soup by tomorrow. Could someone at least advise me about upgrading from ZCS 4.5.9 to ZCS 5.0.2? My users are using NETWORK PROFESSIONAL EDITION, so if i upgrade all my users will have to reinstall the outlook connector right? Does ZCS 5.0.2 have support for Zimbra Mobile? Thank you very much.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Don't remember seeing this anywhere in bugzilla - there's always a first, but let's get you on the latest versions to see if it's still a problem.

Yes of course 5.0.2 supports Zimbra Mobile!

Don't forget to read the release notes. 4.5.11 & 5.0.2 Released!
    (You don't have to go via 4.5.11, but if you have any ldap replicas you should do so & follow the note on that as well.)

I can't stress enough the importance of making a backup first: CLI - zmbackup Network Edition Only - Zimbra :: Wiki

You can use the ZCO 4.5.x connector just fine against a ZCS 5.0.x server. It will work, simply without any of the new 5.0 features. Later the users can upgrade to the latest ZCO per their convenience, no need to upgrade the connectors first and then the server.

Of course do upgrade a few of the connectors so we can see if this problem is reproducible. If so, grab some logs & send them to support: Outlook Troubleshooting Options - Zimbra :: Wiki

Thank you so so much for the response mmorse. I really really appreciate it.

You answered all the questions that I needed for assurance before upgrading to the latest version of ZCS 5.0.2. Support has also just replied with similar information.

Will get the upgrade done burning the midnight oil and test the system overnight before the 100user production environment has a go at it tomorrow morning.

Hopefully this time the users in To: and Cc: won't be missing any mails. Thank you so much once again.

mmorse is offline Moderator

You had me chuckling at the To: & CC: lines you used

Hi Mike and everyone in the forum. I just came back from a long and well rested vacation so I'm sorry I couldn't post/share the response/solution before that.

I would like to thank forum support and also Zimbra support ticket team. The cause of the missing email being sent To: and Cc: was a "user problem"

Being an executive user they can never be wrong or can never be blamed for making changes that will cause missing emails. Back to the cause...

The missing email was caused by a filter the user created -->

--------
    zimbraMailSieveScript: require ["fileinto", "reject", "tag", "flag"];

# Filter1
    if anyof (header :contains "from" "SPAM@chilemaq.cl" , header :contains "to" "user@domain.com" , header :is "subject" "MASSIVE Discounts" ) {
    discard;
    stop;
    }
    --------

The mistake in the above filter is "ANYOF" when it should only take effect if "ALLOF" the following conditions are met.

With regards to email contents and meeting invites having blank content... My users are still experiencing even on WebMail, emails with blank content and only when "viewed original" will the full content be shown. So i ran a google search and dug up some old zimbra forum archives. It seems that mime header errors could be the cause of the problem. I could not confirm it as the zimbra.log.5.gz file for that particular time/date was strangely missing. So I just followed the post to disable header errors by:->
    vim amavisd.conf.in
    @bypass_header_checks_maps = (1);
    $bad_header_quarantine_to = undef;

I'm not sure if this will solve the problem of missing content but I hope it will.

Hope this post will benefit other users.
    Cheers.

Thread Information