Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Connector for Outlook 2000

  1. #1
    jwhitfield is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Connector for Outlook 2000

    Hi guys!

    First, let me just start off by saying that you're off to a pretty good start on Zimbra! Looks good!

    However...I have one problem...no Outlook Connector for Outlook 2000! This is a pretty big deal breaker right now for my company. Keep in mind that I'm trying out the network edition of Zimbra for one reason and one reason only...to keep my company from even considering Microsoft Exchange! They really want Exchange and I really need something to convince them to not fall into the trap of vender lock-in...which is my biggest concern with Exchange.

    So I guess my question is this: How soon can we expect a connector that will work seamlessly with Outlook 2000? Without this, I can't test Zimbra since everyone in our office is currently using Office 2000. And, I probably won't be able to convince them to pay for an upgrade to Office 2003 for 75 users anytime soon!

    Help!!

    Sincerely,

    Jeff

  2. #2
    KevinH's Avatar
    KevinH is offline Expert Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Well at this time Outlook 2000 support for the connector is pretty far down on our list. There is significant work to make all the features work with Outlook 2000, and from what we can tell the demand for Outlook 2000 is pretty low.

    Since your not on Exchange today I assume your using Outlook as a POP/IMAP client. If so you can use Zimbra today with the same functionality. Of course if your really worried about vendor lock-in then take a look at Thunderbird. They make a very good IMAP/POP client.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  3. #3
    jwhitfield is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Well at this time Outlook 2000 support for the connector is pretty far down on our list. There is significant work to make all the features work with Outlook 2000, and from what we can tell the demand for Outlook 2000 is pretty low.
    Demand for Outlook 2000 compatibility may seem low...but that's probably because there aren't many yet that are seriously looking at Zimbra as an alternative. That could change provided you give future customers the option. Research has shown that there are many small to medium sized businesses that still use Office 2000. The reason why so many still use it is simply because many administrators and business owners simply aren't compelled to spend the money to upgrade to something like Office 2003. It's the old "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" mentality.

    In my case, I can't very well convince my managers to upgrade to Office 2003 simply because it'll work with Zimbra...that's not even an option right now. The upgrade alone would probably cost us around anywhere from $6000 to $10000 for 75 mixed licenses of Office 2003 Standard and Professional. That's a pretty serious chunk of change just to allow our uses the ability to take full advantage of everything Zimbra has to offer. If I presented this idea to them then they definitely will not go for it simpley because, in the end, going with Zimbra would cost more initially that going with Exchange 2003...which is what they're deadset on anyways.

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Since your not on Exchange today I assume your using Outlook as a POP/IMAP client. If so you can use Zimbra today with the same functionality. Of course if your really worried about vendor lock-in then take a look at Thunderbird. They make a very good IMAP/POP client.
    Using POP/IMAP isn't even an option. My managers want Exchange-like functionality...the ability to have integrated e-mail, calandering, public folders, calander and e-mail sharing, hot-sync with PDA phones, the works...pretty much all that Exchange has to offer. IMAP won't allow for this in the same manner that a proper Outlook connector does.

    The goal for Zimbra should be to allow customers as many options as possible and to entice them with a solid solution for an Exchange replacement. Without a proper Outlook 2000 connector, you'll simply be locking out a good number of customers who would otherwise greatly consider using your product...myself included. I honestly think you should reconsider making it a greater priority than it already is. In the end, you'll gain a much greater userbase than you already have. Without it, customers like myself will end up having no choice but to give in to our peers and buy back into Microsoft (choke! choke!). Ugg!

  4. #4
    KevinH's Avatar
    KevinH is offline Expert Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwhitfield
    Demand for Outlook 2000 compatibility may seem low...but that's probably because there aren't many yet that are seriously looking at Zimbra as an alternative. That could change provided you give future customers the option. Research has shown that there are many small to medium sized businesses that still use Office 2000. The reason why so many still use it is simply because many administrators and business owners simply aren't compelled to spend the money to upgrade to something like Office 2003. It's the old "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" mentality.
    Many customers today are choosing to use the AJAX web client. You get full Outlook/Exchange like feature set but with zero-admin and zero-footprint.

    Quote Originally Posted by jwhitfield
    In my case, I can't very well convince my managers to upgrade to Office 2003 simply because it'll work with Zimbra...that's not even an option right now. The upgrade alone would probably cost us around anywhere from $6000 to $10000 for 75 mixed licenses of Office 2003 Standard and Professional. That's a pretty serious chunk of change just to allow our uses the ability to take full advantage of everything Zimbra has to offer. If I presented this idea to them then they definitely will not go for it simpley because, in the end, going with Zimbra would cost more initially that going with Exchange 2003...which is what they're deadset on anyways.
    Were finding that many enterprises are keeping there software a bit more up-to-date(Outlook 2000 being 2 versions back). Outlook 2003 has been out for quite some time so those that have not already upgraded are doing so. We'd rather spend engineering effort on new and innovative features which push enterprise messaging forward than trying to backport to older released products initially. That said if we hear more interest in Outlook 2000 or Outlook XP support we will make priority adjustments.

    Quote Originally Posted by jwhitfield
    Using POP/IMAP isn't even an option. My managers want Exchange-like functionality...the ability to have integrated e-mail, calandering, public folders, calander and e-mail sharing, hot-sync with PDA phones, the works...pretty much all that Exchange has to offer. IMAP won't allow for this in the same manner that a proper Outlook connector does.
    What are you using today that gives you Exchange-like features? Your first post said you don't want to consider Exchange but I'm curious what solution you have in place today that gives you the feature set you require?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  5. #5
    biztux is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    9

    Default IT Guys v.s. Management Issue here.

    I believe the situation is the same as I often come accross here in Australia and in Europe. The MANAGEMENT TEAM want the functionality of Exchange, the IT guy knows what a mess that will create, so he is desperately attempting to get a SOLUTION (Zimbra) which provides the functionality, without the extreme costs and "Vendor Lock-in" and poor performance of Exchange.

    Questions:
    Does the Zimbra client (Networked Version) also work as a web client ?
    or
    Does the Networked Version allow for Imap / Pop3 connections from the internet ?

    Millions of end users demand the functionality of Outlook, and would gladly use an alternative to Exchange if available simply because most Exchange driven organizations have downtime due to database crashes, server problems (Windoze issues) etc...

    Take a closer look at what users in the real world are using.
    Australian Government Sector:
    36% Outlook 2000
    34% Outlook 2002
    16% Outlook 2003 or Later
    14% Other (Lotus Notes etc...)

    Australian Enterprise Sector:
    32% Outlook 2000
    38% Outlook 2002
    20% Outlook 2003 or Later
    10 % Other (Lotus Notes etc...)


    We need an outlook connector which works with Outlook 2000 and onwards if Zimbra is to be the success it should be.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by biztux; 01-29-2006 at 07:20 PM.

  6. #6
    KevinH's Avatar
    KevinH is offline Expert Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biztux
    Questions:
    Does the Zimbra client (Networked Version) also work as a web client ?
    or
    Does the Networked Version allow for Imap / Pop3 connections from the internet ?
    Yes both the open source and network edition include the web client, POP3, and IMAP. All three also support native SSL as an option. You can see the web UI in action on our hosted demo here:

    http://www.zimbra.com/demo
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  7. #7
    cristianlf is offline Starter Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Outlook

    Hi, I'm trying to use Outlook to get my mail, but it dosen't work, it keeps asking my pass. I even try Telnet to see my mail, but never accept my pass. So I only can see my mail in the web aplication. Please tell me how can i get my mail using Outlook or thunderbird.

    thnx.
    Cris.

  8. #8
    bobby is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    518
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    so you're trying to use pop (or imap)? it sounds like maybe the server or client wants to use ssl but the other doesn't

    what shows up if you run this:

    su - zimbra
    zmprov gs <servername> | grep -i pop


    or you can check in the admin console whether ssl is enabled for pop or imap

  9. #9
    jwhitfield is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    What are you using today that gives you Exchange-like features? Your first post said you don't want to consider Exchange but I'm curious what solution you have in place today that gives you the feature set you require?
    My company is currently using a program called FirstClass and, no, it does not offer anywhere near Exchange-like functionality. I abhor it and will gladly let my company switch it out for anything BUT it. We're a small company (less that 100 employees) and although our overall revenue is alright we simply haven't had the budget to consider upgrading our mail server to something better. This has been going on for the better part of a little over a year. Management wants Exchange or, as they would say, "Outlook! We want Outlook!". We're predominantly a Windows network...except our mail server is on a Mac! Go figure! So, my thinking is that we can greatly reduce our TCO by moving our mail server and even our file servers to Linux boxes. We can still keep some of the core Windows services on a separate box for things like Active Directory, SQL databases, print services, and such...just keep the really heavily used stuff on something more stable and reliable. At the moment, this is a losing battle...there is likely to be very few things I can do to convince them otherwise, which is ironic. They really want to save money and encourage me to find ways to do so...and yet they don't mind spending more money on a couple of new Windows servers for file and mail services. Go figure!

    The figures that biztux posted are what I would expect. I'm guessing that here in the States, the figures are somewhere likely to be around 50% for businesses that still use Office 2000 and XP...that's quite a bit! So, without an Outlook connector that works for both Outlook 2000 and XP you're looking at a niche market of roughly anywhere from 15 - 20% of all small business users...still pretty good, but your market would be way better if you did have a multi-version connector in place.

    Ok...so let's do the math on how much Zimbra would cost my company as opposed to going with Exchange 2003. To be liberal, Exchange is likely to cost us around $1200 plus $35 per user. With 75 users, that amounts to around $3825. Granted, it could be more...but I'm just estimating. Now, let's look at the cost of Zimbra. For the Small Business Edition, it's $2900 for 100 users. Great price! However, let's add in the cost of what the upgrades would be for Office 2003. Again, let's be liberal and say that the cost is around $150 for Office 2003 Standard upgrades. That would be around $11250; added to the licensing cost of Zimbra and you have a grand total of $14150! Hmm...quite a bit of a difference there. Plus, I'm not even estimating the cost of Office 2003 Professional upgrades in the mix either...which we would need a few of. So, on that note, would you say that it would be difficult at best to convince the management of my company to upgrade Office for all users and go with Zimbra? To them, because Exchange will already work with Outlook 2000, they could save money just by buying into it. Sorry guys...but it looks like I won't be able to get my company to consider Zimbra instead of Exchange right now. Once they buy into Exchange, that's pretty much it. Sigh!

  10. #10
    stacyspear is offline Starter Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    If Zimbra is cost prohibitive, look at some of the other linux mail servers. For instance Scalix. Not sure of the cost. You are right, once you go Exchange, you are done. But, it seems as if you haven't considered everything. Active Directory and Exchange are like glue. If AD isn't right, exchange won't be. Consider that cost and DNS (required by AD, and Exchange) into your math. Even hiring someone like me who does AD migration for a living, could help your math out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 11:21 PM
  2. Migration from Exchange 2000
    By prodigy in forum Migration
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 06:17 AM
  3. Outlook 2000
    By steve_burrows in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 04:23 AM
  4. Exchange 2000 Migration
    By rwjblue in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 07:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •