Thread: outlook w/o connector and outlook 2007

fchassaing is offline Intermediate Member

Default outlook w/o connector and outlook 2007

We are migrating to zimbra NE because our old mail server wouldn't do it any more, and I found that zimbra was a good solution to our problems.
    I've got NE to have support and the ability to share calendars and contacts for my outlook users.
    So first of all, I'm a bit disappointed that connector provided with GA 4.5.7 won't work with outlook 2007. I guess I have to wait for 5.0 to become GA...
    Second, I only want calendar and contacts to be sync'ed with outlook. All the users who are using outlook are using it only for calendar and contacts, they all use something else to read their mail (mostly thunderbird. some outlook express, and all are invited to switch to the web client). Is it possible to get only calendar and contacts items in outlook ? Can this work connector-less (given my first remark) ?
    thanks

Klug is online now Moderator

Hello, bienvenue sur le forum (welcome to the forum).

Quote Originally Posted by fchassaing View Post
    So first of all, I'm a bit disappointed that connector provided with GA 4.5.7 won't work with outlook 2007. I guess I have to wait for 5.0 to become GA...
    There's a "beta connector" (downloadable from the support portal) if you want to test it : http://www.zimbra.com/forums/outlook...-overview.html

Second, I only want calendar and contacts to be sync'ed with outlook. All the users who are using outlook are using it only for calendar and contacts, they all use something else to read their mail (mostly thunderbird. some outlook express, and all are invited to switch to the web client). Is it possible to get only calendar and contacts items in outlook ? Can this work connector-less (given my first remark) ?
    AFAIK, you can not have only calendar/contacts to be synched : if you use the ZCO, everything will be synced.

Either you get them to use the webclient for everything (no more need for Outlook) or, the other way round, Outlook for everything (with local sync).
    Last edited by Klug; 10-18-2007 at 11:30 AM.

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Just sync calendar and contacts

fchassaing is offline Intermediate Member

OK merci pour la réponse (thanks for the answer ;-)
    In fact, as those outlook users may work offline, zimbra desktop may be another way around...
    second, the "outlook' layer is also convenient for those who have a smartphone (2 blackberries, 3 HTC smatphones, 1 Nokia) for syncing the calendar (read appointments) and contacts to their PC.
    Maybe should I consider zimbra mobile as an add-on, just for this, and have activesync sync to outlook (or maybe to zimbra desktop, if that works)

Klug is online now Moderator

In fact, as those outlook users may work offline, zimbra desktop may be another way around...
    If they're "offline users", you should get them to user Outlook only until zDesktop is available (still alpha, running very nicely, but still alpha).

second, the "outlook' layer is also convenient for those who have a smartphone (2 blackberries, 3 HTC smatphones, 1 Nokia) for syncing the calendar (read appointments) and contacts to their PC.
    Maybe should I consider zimbra mobile as an add-on, just for this, and have activesync sync to outlook (or maybe to zimbra desktop, if that works)
    The smartphones can sync with Outlook (using their own software) or directly with the Zimbra server OTA (using Zimbra Mobile). But unfortunately, there's no afforable solution to fully sync the BlackBerry OTA (you can get the pushed mail but that's all).
    Sounds like another "plus" to use Outlook and only Outlook 8)

If you're using Zimbra Mobile, the smartphones will sync directly with the server (no more need for a special software between the smartphone and Outlook), just like Outlook syncs with the server and/or zDekstop syncs with the server.

Example : you're using Outlook with the ZCO and Zimbra Mobile. If you create a meeting in Outlook, it will automagically sync to the Zimbra server (while you're online with Outlook). On your first smartphone sync (manual or automatic), you'll be able to see the meeting on your smartphone (through Zimbra Mobile). Hop, magie.
    And if you change something to the meeting from the phone and sync it to the Zimbra server, then Outlook will automagically see the changes (when online, obviously).

You can not have the smartphones compagnon softwares (ActiveSync, Nokia PC Suite, Blackberry Desktop) to sync with zDesktop, these softwares only sync with Outlook.

BTW, you should complete your profile.

Thread Information