Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZCB 6.5 BETA Programm experiences

deepblue is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    Hi Thomas

I don't have mailboxd.log, but this is in mailbox.log every 10 minutes (also occasional galsync):

My first thought is that if connections are only every 10 minutes, the BB activation request could timeout while waiting for besadmin to process the activation email...
    Sorry, maibox.log is correct.

I think, you should see other entries as well:

Code:
    2010-09-07 13:57:22,190 INFO  [btpool0-61513://zimbra.server.de/service/soap/SyncRequest] [name=user@domain.de;aname=besadmin@domain.de;mid=49431;ip=1.2.3.4;ua=ZimbraConnectorForBES/6.5.5376.7;] soap - SyncRequest
    that indicates, that the besadmin user is scanning the mailbox of user@domain.de. If you don't find an entry like that, I would think, that there is some problem on the BES.

Regards
    Thomas

drwho is offline Intermediate Member

Hi Thomas

So clearly there is no synchrequest being sent. Not sure where to go from there. It would be good if the system could simply raise an error!

richard

esantos is offline Senior Member

Same problem...
    [Installation Incomplete
    The installer was interrupted before ZCS connector for BES SMB could be installed]

I cannot find anything related to CDI.DLL. How do you assume the file name and path required?

Quote Originally Posted by esantos View Post

I cannot find anything related to CDI.DLL. How do you assume the file name and path required?
    Well as stated, I found it at C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\2057

That was on windows server 2003

I suggest you either do a search for the file or look at other folders under C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI

esantos is offline Senior Member

Oookay. By the way, there is just a mistake on file name, the correct name is CDO.DLL

Anyway, it still giving me problems.

Default My Verdict: this is extremely fragile and doesn't work

For the benefit of others I would like to share my views on this.

I have spent days trying to get this to work, with help from Zimbra support and am now giving up.

I have no doubt that a lot of effort has gone in to making this available to us, and I acknowledge the efforts that have been made, but the whole thing is extremely flakey. It seems to me that most of the issues I have seen are due to the architecture and BES rather than ZCB itself.

The problem is that we start with an excellent mail server (zimbra) on a Linux platform, but instead of developing a simple plug-in to connect to Blackberry we have to adopt a windows platform with all the complexities of setting up active directory, DNS, roles etc (which may be fine in a Windows-centric environment but appears un-necessarily complex for anyone else) in order to utilise BES which is really intended for an Exchange Server.

I found the documentation heavy going and sometimes contradictory (eg should besadmin be in the "Domain admins" group (Zimbra doc) or not (Blackberry doc)

After several rebuilds occupying many days (while I tried to resolve ambiguities in the documentation through trial and error) I eventually succeeded in activating the BB. But then the ongoing synchronisation was weird - it took a long time or not at all.

I then wiped the BB and started again - but arrived back at the point where activation failed! And despite reboots etc I have never again had a successful activation.

It seems to me that too many platforms/vendors are involved and it is difficult to pin down where the problem is. This is a sledgehammer to crack a walnut!

OK, I have had bad luck where others have succeeded, but I am pretty technically competant and it really shouldn't be this difficult!

Assuming this can be made to run reliably (accepting the fact that this is a beta test), I suggest two improvements: 1) End-to-end comprehensive documentation to enable installers from differing backgrounds to do a correct installation first time and b) troubleshooting tools/documentation.
    Last edited by drwho; 09-13-2010 at 12:55 AM.

miguel is offline Special Member

Couldn't agree more with drwho, please provide a clear way of how the thing should be done to get it working. When suggested to create the besadmin user, Should the install of bes made by the besadmin user?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information