Thread: BES for Multiple E-Mail Domains

derek.rose is offline Intermediate Member

Default BES for Multiple E-Mail Domains

Using ZCS Network Edition 6.0.5 - BES Connector 5.0.19 - is it possible to configure this so that it can be used for more than one e-mail domain in a hosting environment? Right now we have one client up and running, but would like to be able to add this functionality for other domains if possible.

Klug is offline Moderator

Currently it's possible with some limitations.

You can't share a BES server between several domains _and_ access the domains GAL (from the mobiles).

[SOLVED] ZBC - 1 ZCS NE server with multiple domains - Only 1 domain appears in G

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    Currently it's possible with some limitations.

You can't share a BES server between several domains _and_ access the domains GAL (from the mobiles).

[SOLVED] ZBC - 1 ZCS NE server with multiple domains - Only 1 domain appears in G
    Thanks for the reply, so it seems unless I want to spend the cash on a dedicated BES for each e-mail domain, I would have to wait for BESX to be supported and provision a server of that type for each domain going forward? Technically I could follow the steps in that link but I don't want to go down a path that wouldn't be supported by Zimbra.

Would you agree with that statement?

I don't know if this is supported (or not).
    You should ask support.

However, if you use a dedicated BESX (when supported) per customer, you'll still need to setup a VM (or dedicated server) per customer, with a W2003 licence, etc.
    It's not a "no cost" solution at all.

It's cheaper because you don't pay for a BES server for each customer but it's still costly.

I don't know if this is supported (or not).
    You should ask support.

However, if you use BESX (when supported), you'll still need to setup a VM (or dedicated server) per customer, with a W2003 licences, etc.
    It's not a "no cost" solution at all.
    I would agree with you there - although much cheaper. We have mostly a Virtual environment on ESX with Windows Data Center licensing which means we have our OS licensing covered. To get our BES server up and running for the first time, it costs us near 5400k for the Server licensing, CALs and support.

Quote Originally Posted by derek.rose View Post
    To get our BES server up and running for the first time, it costs us near 5400k for the Server licensing, CALs and support.
    Yes, I know 8-((

On our side, we ask each customer to provide his own BES licences and CAL, while we provide the VM, W2K3 licence and service.

RIM (and the carriers, who are the BES licences resellers) are able to do extremely low prices on licences/CAL to end customers, as long as the customers pay for the "BES data plan" to the carrier (that's where they're doing most of their money)...

Yes, I know 8-((

On our side, we ask each customer to provide his own BES licences and CAL, while we provide the VM, W2K3 licence and service.

RIM (and the carriers, who are the BES licences resellers) are able to do extremely low prices on licences/CAL to end customers, as long as the customers pay for the "BES data plan" to the carrier (that's where they're doing most of their money)...
    That is a very interesting approach. Do you have any cost examples for what customers have had to pay when they buy from RIM or a carrier? Or any documentation/links that may list the cost models?

Also how do you work out support? Do you also have your customers buy support from RIM to cover their CALs, and authorize you to call on their behalf?

Do you have any cost examples for what customers have had to pay when they buy from RIM or a carrier? Or any documentation/links that may list the cost models?
    I don't know if this exists abroad (but in France it does).
    I have two examples: one customer got his BES and 10 CAL for free, for another one the BES was free and he has one CAL free per paid CAL.

It depends on the carrier reseller, the contract "size", etc.
    I obviously have no official documents on this (beside the RIM contract we did not sign, for several reasons).

It's part of the commercial dialog between the customer and his carrier reseller:
    C: You did not tell us we'll need to pay a lot of money for BES/CAL (and BES specific dataplan) to sync our mobile devices!
    R: Sorry, it's the way Blackberry work.
    C: Look at this spreadsheet. BES/CAL + BES specific dataplan is so expensive, it would be cheaper for us to switch the BB to iPhone (or whatever). And change carrier, BTW.
    R: Well, what about some rebate on licences?

Also how do you work out support? Do you also have your customers buy support from RIM to cover their CALs, and authorize you to call on their behalf?
    Never had issues for the moment, feeling lucky 8)

If it happens, we'll do as we do with Zimbra: either get the customer to open the ticket for us (and cc us) or use the customer support account directly.

Thread Information