Thread: Zimbra on Black Berry with Verizon

bangsters is offline Special Member

Default Zimbra on Black Berry with Verizon

Hi.

We have aclient who wants to use his Zimbra account with his BB phone. His BB account is with Verizon, I believe. How can I implement this? I tried downloading the Zimbra Connector for BB but it seems that only works if I have BES, not for a hosted BB with Verizon.

Please advice.

Thanks

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

That is my understanding as well - you need Zimbra Mobile, and then you run the Zimbra Connector for BB on a BES server (BES for Exchange). If you just need email, then you can use Verizon's email redirection... basically, you use RIM's network to poll (via POP) your Zimbra account. This gets you email (send/receive), but does not get you contacts/calendar/task support....

thanks! He wants the integration, not just polling via POP He needs to sync his contacts and calendar as well. any advice?

alee is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by bangsters View Post
    thanks! He wants the integration, not just polling via POP He needs to sync his contacts and calendar as well. any advice?
    for ZCB (Zimbra Connector for BES) to work, it needs to be installed on the BES server. the hosting service would need to install and maintain this product for you. the product is currently in BETA and is not recommended for production systems.

in the meantime, one thing that you could consider would be the BlackBerry Deskop. this product would be something that you installed on a client desktop and it will redirect PIM items to your device.

you might want to take a look at RIMs docs to see if this product suits your needs. there have been some threads on the forums and i believe that people have this working.

BlackBerry Desktop? But the blackberyy service is just being provided by verizon. I doubt that verizon will install anything on their servers for their customers.

gmsmith is offline Moderator

Blackberry service can be found in 2.5 forms:

1) BIS - Blackberry Internet Service - which is a service provided by your cellular carriers and allows pop/imap style access for mail retrieval only.

2) BES - Blackberry Enterprise Server - which is provided by the Zimbra server manger (whether that is your our your hosting partner). This requires a server infrastructure and licensing from RIM (and Windows). If you are hosted customer with on of the Zimbra HSPs check with them to see if they support native BES.

And the .5 is: a third product called Blackberry Desktop, which requires a Windows desktop machine you own to be connected to the Internet at all times, but will sync your calendar, contacts, email, to-dos.

Thread Information