Thread: Abandoned?

sabre307 is offline New Member

Default Abandoned?

From what I am seeing, it would appear that the VZA app for Android has been abandoned by VMWare. Right now it seems to crash on every ICS phone on the market and there has only been one version of it ever released as far as I can tell. So, with that in mind, I have one request to make to VMWare; If you are going to abandon the project, please Open Source it so that some of us who have Android development abilities can take the torch and continue on with it?

Zimbra is a great product, but the Community Edition doesn't support ActiveSync, so you can't get good synchronization with your phone. On top of that, certain things, like tasks and the briefcase, won't sync even if you do have the Network Edition, so this is greatly needed for the community. Come on VMWare! I can understand that you need to be careful where you expend effort and money, but there are lots of people who will finish the project for you at no cost to you.

Thanks, I'll get off my soap box now.

soxfan is offline Moderator

You're right, the app appears to have been abandoned by VMware / Zimbra, which is kind of a shame because I thought it showed a lot of promise. It was announced as a "fling", an specifically stated that it might never go any further. Still, it would have been nice to announce that they were abandoning it, and maybe even remove the link, especially since they asked for feedback on the app, but then never really responded to any follow up questions. Just poorly handled in my opinion.

As far as ActiveSync support with the Community Edition, have a look at the z-push / zimbra backend solution that is discussed in the main Mobility forum. If you have even basic knowledge of setting up and administering Linux servers it really is pretty easy to setup. We are using this solution now and it works really well. It even does Tasks. Not sure about the Briefcase, but I seem to remember someone asking about this somewhere in the forum.

sabre307 is offline New Member

Thanks for the heads up on z-push, I will look into that!

MACscr is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    You're right, the app appears to have been abandoned by VMware / Zimbra, which is kind of a shame because I thought it showed a lot of promise. It was announced as a "fling", an specifically stated that it might never go any further. Still, it would have been nice to announce that they were abandoning it, and maybe even remove the link, especially since they asked for feedback on the app, but then never really responded to any follow up questions. Just poorly handled in my opinion.

As far as ActiveSync support with the Community Edition, have a look at the z-push / zimbra backend solution that is discussed in the main Mobility forum. If you have even basic knowledge of setting up and administering Linux servers it really is pretty easy to setup. We are using this solution now and it works really well. It even does Tasks. Not sure about the Briefcase, but I seem to remember someone asking about this somewhere in the forum.
    Briefase is being removed very soon, so having it is a moot point anyway.

fschloegl is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    Briefase is being removed very soon, so having it is a moot point anyway.
    Where did you read this? I can't find it in the forum, or at bugzilla.

Klug is offline Moderator

I think it's better to say "briefcase might be removed and replaced by what is currently known as Octopus".

I still don't know really how Octopus will replace (or not) the default briefcase in ZCS, with which features in OSE and which features in NE.

hybrid512 is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by sabre307 View Post
    From what I am seeing, it would appear that the VZA app for Android has been abandoned by VMWare. Right now it seems to crash on every ICS phone on the market and there has only been one version of it ever released as far as I can tell. So, with that in mind, I have one request to make to VMWare; If you are going to abandon the project, please Open Source it so that some of us who have Android development abilities can take the torch and continue on with it?

Zimbra is a great product, but the Community Edition doesn't support ActiveSync, so you can't get good synchronization with your phone. On top of that, certain things, like tasks and the briefcase, won't sync even if you do have the Network Edition, so this is greatly needed for the community. Come on VMWare! I can understand that you need to be careful where you expend effort and money, but there are lots of people who will finish the project for you at no cost to you.

Thanks, I'll get off my soap box now.
    Anyway, there are many alternatives for Zimbra Community Edition to get sync with your mobile, to give some of them :
    • Z-Push (plenty of tutorials here and there on this forum and elsewhere);
    • zExtras which is commercial and does like Z-Push, ie. adding an ActiveSync layer on the Coummunity Edition;
    • LVSync which syncs contacts, calendars and tasks natively with Zimbra (Active Sync not needed);
    • CalDAV/CardDAV Sync which uses the CalDAV/CardDAV protocol for contacts/calendars sync.

and there are probably more ...
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi
    www : http://www.lezard-visuel.com

LVSync - Sync your Zimbra's contacts, calendars and tasks on Android without the need of ActiveSync !

app
    app is offline New Member

Thread Information