Thread: Why not just focus on native apps?

d2globalinc is offline Special Member

Default Why not just focus on native apps?

Why should we have to install a seperate app to get what we need on our tablets and phones, why not focus on making the native applications work with zimbra.. I dont see a seperate app install for Microsoft Exchange...

Shane
    - SLM -

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by d2globalinc View Post
    Why should we have to install a seperate app to get what we need on our tablets and phones, why not focus on making the native applications work with zimbra..
    The native apps are provided by the phone manufacturers and use Activesync (under licence from Microsoft). They are generally poor implementations, look at all the problems with Mail for Exchange on the Nokia phones.

I dont see a seperate app install for Microsoft Exchange...
    Yes you do, it's the one provided by the phone manufacturer.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Actually exchange is built into the core of android, google paid MS for the use of it.. Manufacturers can also put their own in there as well to work with their own widgets, etc.

If they are poor implementations, then work with google to make them better. We already have a separate app implementation with Touchdown, what we want is an integrated out of the box solution that works.. Apple seems to be able to do it with iOS, but again, zimbra can't seem to keep up with the activesync methods, so it breaks from time to time with zimbra updates.

Zimbra is still using activesync with its client, so licensing issues have nothing to do with this, otherwise there would be a separate zimbra protocol available for everyone to use with their apps.
    - SLM -

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Yes you do, it's the one provided by the phone manufacturer.
    Google pays MS for ActiveSync licensing, Exchange is included in the base install of Android. Manufacturers only choose to make their own in order to include functions into their custom UI's like HTC's Sense, or Samsungs Touchwiz, etc. But the base Exchange app is in there, and you can find apps already in the market that support EXCHANGE compatibility..
    - SLM -

halr9000 is offline New Member

Actually, I for one really prefer having a separate app. I know that some like having everything in the same place, but I think that it's important to have the option for separation. For example, when I'm on vacation, the last thing I want to see in my personal email inbox is a work email, or for a meeting reminder to pop up while I'm reading a book on the beach.

lespaul20 is offline Intermediate Member

Google pays MS for ActiveSync licensing, Exchange is included in the base install of Android. Manufacturers only choose to make their own in order to include functions into their custom UI's like HTC's Sense, or Samsungs Touchwiz, etc. But the base Exchange app is in there, and you can find apps already in the market that support EXCHANGE compatibility..
    Do you have an Android phone? Even Google's implementation of Activesync is not perfect and is missing features, notably tasks. I haven't tried K9 but to me it's like a universal remote, it work with a bunch of servers not necessarily perfect with any particular server. Probably not much better than the OEM's unified mail client. I could be mistaken but having dedicated app allows VMware to do things outside of the Activesync protocol.

I own 2 Samsung Galaxy Tabs, 1 Mototorola Xoom, two Evo 4G's and one Evo 3D.. So yes.. I own android devices ..

And like I was saying - why not build a conduit using a protocol (not activesync) that works with zimbra, and then dumps the data into the native apps databases..

Similar to how Touchdown enables contacts from exchange to be synced into the native address book, and back again.. Then there wouldn't be the need to remake yet another new interface, users could use the native apps and use widgets, etc that interface with those apps databases..
    - SLM -

Thread Information