Thread: Initial Impressesions

soxfan is offline Moderator

Default Initial Impressesions

I have been using the VMware Zimbra for Android app over the last week and I just thought I would pass along my initial impressions. I am using the app on a Droid2 to connect to my Zimbra server, FOSS version 6.0.10, in conjunction with the zimbra z-push backend. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it so far. I haven't really had any issues to speak of yet. Very easy to navigate within the app, and it seems to be pretty responsive. I just watched the video and found out about a couple of tricks that I hadn't stumbled upon yet.

There are a couple of things that I think could be improved upon:

1) In general I'm OK with only being able to sync up to a month max of email messages, but I think there needs to be some way to retrieve additional, older messages either through the search function or some type of "get more" function. There are times when I would want to pull up an older message that I know I have saved (probably in one of my folders), but with this app there doesn't seem to be any way to do this. Am I missing something?

2) It seems like the resource usage of the app is pretty high, both in terms of memory and battery life. Definitely noticing my battery draining a lot more quickly since I've been using it. Since I want to have the app notify me when I get new email and/or about upcoming calendar events it seems like I need to keep it running at all times. Again, am I missing something here?

Lastly, and this might have more to do with me connecting through the zimbra z-push backend, but I noticed a couple of people mentioning the Zimbra Briefcase, however I have not been able to see where I would access this in the app. It is not showing up in my folder list, and I don't see any other way to navigate to it. Not really a big deal for me, but if there is a way to access the Briefcase I'd like to know how.

Thanks,
    John

lytledd is offline Elite Member

1) In general I'm OK with only being able to sync up to a month max of email messages, but I think there needs to be some way to retrieve additional, older messages either through the search function or some type of "get more" function.

I agree!

2) It seems like the resource usage of the app is pretty high, both in terms of memory and battery life. Definitely noticing my battery draining a lot more quickly since I've been using it.
    This I don't agree on, ever since Sprint released Android 2.3.3, battery life has been great (I'm on an EVO) and I haven't noticed any drain since using the Zimbra app. The "Battery Status, What has been using the battery" doesn't even list the Zimbra app in the top 5 applications.

Since I want to have the app notify me when I get new email and/or about upcoming calendar events it seems like I need to keep it running at all times. Again, am I missing something here?
    I don't seem to have this issue, but it may be because I'm running the Zimbra mail widget.

Lastly, and this might have more to do with me connecting through the zimbra z-push backend, but I noticed a couple of people mentioning the Zimbra Briefcase

I'm running Z-Push as well and don't have the briefcase. But, we run NE at work and they do have it.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Thread Information