Thread: Veeam Backup

crandall348 is offline Member

Default Veeam Backup

Has anyone used Veeam to backup Zimbra?

ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by crandall348 View Post
    Has anyone used Veeam to backup Zimbra?
    Hi crandall348,

Pls look at DR Best Practices In a Virtualized Environment?

ccelis.

Chicken76 is offline Intermediate Member

Hi crandall348,

I'm using Veeam Backup to backup the whole VM that runs ZCS. Do you have any specific questions/problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken76 View Post
    Hi crandall348,

I'm using Veeam Backup to backup the whole VM that runs ZCS. Do you have any specific questions/problems?
    Do you have to stop Zimbra services when you backup the VM? I'm running Zimbra Open Source
    Last edited by crandall348; 10-31-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Do you have to stop Zimbra services when you backup the VM? I'm running Zimbra Open Source
    I'm also running the Open Source edition and I'm backing up the whole VM without stopping Zimbra services. I'm even doing this during the day, when people are probably logged on, and doesn't seem to affect performance to a noticeable level and only takes about 10 minutes to run. Of course, my setup is not big, only about 30 accounts, so if you have a lot of emails stored and a lot of accesses, it might take longer and see a slowdown.

Veeam is able to do consistent backups (I think it does a snapshot, backs that up and then merges that snapshot back), so if you're restoring one of those it would be like powering up a machine after a power failure. Research the problems one might encounter after an unexpected power failure to get an idea of how good/reliable those backups are and what to expect. Personally, I've had Zimbra servers lose power and had no problem upon power-up, but that only happened a handful of times, so ...
    Always test your backups!!! <- can't stress this enough

But don't rely only on Veeam for backups. I also backup (just Zimbra) nightly, when I can afford to stop it. There are guides on the forums for that.

Don't take my word as a guarantee. I have limited experience with either Zimbra and Veeam. (have started using Veeam a few months ago, and Zimbra a little more than a year ago)

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken76 View Post
    I'm also running the Open Source edition and I'm backing up the whole VM without stopping Zimbra services. I'm even doing this during the day, when people are probably logged on, and doesn't seem to affect performance to a noticeable level and only takes about 10 minutes to run. Of course, my setup is not big, only about 30 accounts, so if you have a lot of emails stored and a lot of accesses, it might take longer and see a slowdown.

Veeam is able to do consistent backups (I think it does a snapshot, backs that up and then merges that snapshot back), so if you're restoring one of those it would be like powering up a machine after a power failure. Research the problems one might encounter after an unexpected power failure to get an idea of how good/reliable those backups are and what to expect. Personally, I've had Zimbra servers lose power and had no problem upon power-up, but that only happened a handful of times, so ...
    Always test your backups!!! <- can't stress this enough

But don't rely only on Veeam for backups. I also backup (just Zimbra) nightly, when I can afford to stop it. There are guides on the forums for that.

Don't take my word as a guarantee. I have limited experience with either Zimbra and Veeam. (have started using Veeam a few months ago, and Zimbra a little more than a year ago)

Hope this helps.
    Are you using the Veeam Free Backup Edition?

Are you using the Veeam Free Backup Edition?
    No, the Essentials pack (the one with Veeam One).

danielfarrelly is online now Special Member

We use Veeam to backup the system image of Zimbra. Would not recommend backing up the actual mail store (aka /opt) unless it's a smaller install. If you're a larger environment, you'd probably be better off sticking to the built-in Zimbra backup, then snapshotting the actual mail store at the SAN level.

Quote Originally Posted by danielfarrelly View Post
    We use Veeam to backup the system image of Zimbra. Would not recommend backing up the actual mail store (aka /opt) unless it's a smaller install. If you're a larger environment, you'd probably be better off sticking to the built-in Zimbra backup, then snapshotting the actual mail store at the SAN level.
    We have about 120 email users.

danielfarrelly is online now Special Member

We have about 120 email users.
    How large is your mail db; more important, how large are the vmdk(s) comprising your mail store?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information