Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Calendar features we'd like

  1. #1
    pjl
    pjl is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    8

    Question Calendar features we'd like

    In our current calendar service (Oracle Calendar 9.0.4.2) we can select people for a meeting then hit 'Suggest a Meeting' to get list of possible times and dates when everybody in the list is available.

    Also in Oracle Calendar an admin can give a user the right to enter calendar holiday dates that appear in all users' calendars.

    Are these features that are available in Zimbra and I can't find?

    If not would the Zimbra team consider them as possible additions?

  2. #2
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,201
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjl View Post
    If not would the Zimbra team consider them as possible additions?
    You should search bugzilla for that feature, if you find anything vote on it and if you don't then file an RFE and vote on it. Bugzilla is the place to make feature requests as well as file bug reports.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    mmorse's Avatar
    mmorse is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjl View Post
    In our current calendar service (Oracle Calendar 9.0.4.2) we can select people for a meeting then hit 'Suggest a Meeting' to get list of possible times and dates when everybody in the list is available.
    It won't spit out a list persay; however zimbra does have a schedule tab, when you make a new appointment- which will graphically show free and busy times.

    Also in Oracle Calendar an admin can give a user the right to enter calendar holiday dates that appear in all users' calendars.
    Do you want to include those holidays in people's personal calendars? Personally, using gcal I occasionally turn the 'US Holidays' off; so I would think users would prefer a separate calendar called 'holidays' so they can turn the cal on/off? You can easily give someone/many people manager rights to this shared calendar.
    Right now there are a few minor glitches if your using 4.5.5, for instance changes aren't pushed to logged in users-they have to hit refresh; but being a holiday calendar I wouldn't think it would change all that much, so I would think just automatic refresh on login would suit you fine.
    -for instance bug 6082

    Here's some more discussion: Shared Calendars
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-07-2007 at 05:14 AM.

  4. #4
    pjl
    pjl is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Suggest a time and date...

    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    It won't spit out a list persay; however zimbra does have a schedule tab, when you make a new appointment- which will graphically show free and busy times.
    That's OK but it only shows you free and busy times for the day that you've tried to make the appointment on. This is OK if you have a small number of people who have lots of available time - useless if you have a largish number very busy people.

  5. #5
    pjl
    pjl is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    8

    Default statutory holiday information

    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Do you want to include those holidays in people's personal calendars? Personally, using gcal I occasionally turn the 'US Holidays' off; so I would think users would prefer a separate calendar called 'holidays' so they can turn the cal on/off? You can easily give someone/many people manager rights to this shared calendar.
    Well that's how you like to use it but we have 5000+ people here who like the holiday notification feature Oracle Calendar. I'll attempt to add it to bugzilla...

  6. #6
    mmorse's Avatar
    mmorse is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjl View Post
    That's OK but it only shows you free and busy times for the day that you've tried to make the appointment on. This is OK if you have a small number of people who have lots of available time - useless if you have a largish number very busy people.
    You can use the arrows to scroll through dates...but I take it you want a list generated that is easily printable-search and open a request if there is none
    Last edited by mmorse; 04-14-2008 at 08:48 PM.

  7. #7
    mmorse's Avatar
    mmorse is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Do you want to include those holidays in people's personal calendars? Personally, using gcal I occasionally turn the 'US Holidays' off; so I would think users would prefer a separate calendar called 'holidays' so they can turn the cal on/off? You can easily give someone/many people manager rights to this shared calendar.
    Well that's how you like to use it but we have 5000+ people here who like the holiday notification feature Oracle Calendar. I'll attempt to add it to bugzilla...
    You actually asked them if they like it fixed, and can never hide the view of those events? Open a request-I really meant to stress: in the mean time you could give everyone a shared holiday calendar.

  8. #8
    NOZIL is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bordeaux, France
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    You can use the arrows to scroll through dates...but I take it you want a list generated that is easily printable-search and open a request if there is none
    But pjl is right. When people is very busy, you have to use the arrows many many many times to find a good date and time !!! And the name of the day is not displayed, so you often find free time that is finally a saturday or sunday

    So vote for :
    Bug 7173 - Calendar Scheduling Wizard
    and
    Bug 14534 - Add name of day in schedule tab

  9. #9
    mmorse's Avatar
    mmorse is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    20

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Calendar features for Education?
    By kabbey in forum Developers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 06:16 PM
  2. Outlook/Zimbra Private Appointments Issue
    By Smurthey in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 07:29 AM
  3. Calendar speed
    By pere.serrano in forum Users
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 06:55 PM
  4. Calendar Use Case
    By enthenergy in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 06:16 PM
  5. M2 Experiences?
    By jordandeamattson in forum Users
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •