Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: User settings?

  1. #1
    Rubble is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    8

    Default User settings?

    1. Can't stand tooltips. Can a user disable them on buttons/menus, but leave them when hovering over message headers?

    2. Popping up a menu. Maybe I'm old school, but I want to press my left mouse button, hold it, and have my menu show up. And when I let up on the mouse button, I want the menu to go away. Possible?

    3. Because menus "stick", I often find myself finding a bit of "whitespace" in the UI to click on to make the menu go away (when I don't want to choose something). Near the upper left, I often end up clicking on the Zimbra logo that takes me to zimbra.com unexpectedly. Sheesh. Can I at least disable the URL?

    4. Header pane. I'm used to Pine, ucb mail, etc. New messages are at the bottom of my list of messages, not the top. So I click on the column to reverse sort order on receive date. It sorts ok, but presents me with the first 100 messages of my queue (which has about 4000 messages in it). I want it to have the most recent messages in it. But there's no way to go to the end. I have to click on Next 100, Next 100, .... And of course the next time I start the web client, I'm back where I started. This is unusable.

    5. Speaking of the header pane, why do you have to break it up into units of 100 headers (max)?? Every mail client I've used shows all my headers, and I just use the scrollbar to get to the beginning or end, I don't have to sift through clumps of headers. I know, you'll say there are too many headers to display at once. But that can be faked. Just set the scrollbar to indicate the total count, but only fetch 100. Scrolling can cause another fetch to happen, when required.

    Other than these items it is a pretty nice client. But these little issues are annoying coming from Kontact/Thunderbird/Pine.

    Thanks,

    -B

  2. #2
    dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,433
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Bugzilla is *that* way -->

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    1. Can't stand tooltips. Can a user disable them on buttons/menus, but leave them when hovering over message headers?
    Nope. Nobody's ever requested that before. Please feel free to add an ehancement request in bugzilla, though with no other votes this is minor enough that it probably won't be done soon on our end. Unless you've got the urge to contribute some code...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    2. Popping up a menu. Maybe I'm old school, but I want to press my left mouse button, hold it, and have my menu show up. And when I let up on the mouse button, I want the menu to go away. Possible?
    I can't comment on "old school", but I think this should be possible, albeit nontrivial. Again, a bugzilla entry is a good idea here. And again, with no votes it probably won't be addressed for a while in the absence of community-contributed solutions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    3. Because menus "stick", I often find myself finding a bit of "whitespace" in the UI to click on to make the menu go away (when I don't want to choose something). Near the upper left, I often end up clicking on the Zimbra logo that takes me to zimbra.com unexpectedly. Sheesh. Can I at least disable the URL?
    With the Open Source edition, no. The license expressly forbids that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    4. Header pane. I'm used to Pine, ucb mail, etc. New messages are at the bottom of my list of messages, not the top. So I click on the column to reverse sort order on receive date. It sorts ok, but presents me with the first 100 messages of my queue (which has about 4000 messages in it). I want it to have the most recent messages in it. But there's no way to go to the end. I have to click on Next 100, Next 100, .... And of course the next time I start the web client, I'm back where I started. This is unusable.
    I'll agree that paging to the end of your mailbox is unusable. Dealing with new mail at the top of the folder instead of the bottom -- not quite so unusable. Again, bugzilla is that way, but again, nobody's asked for this before and it's a smallish change that may require a bunch of code, so fix time may not be fast.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    5. Speaking of the header pane, why do you have to break it up into units of 100 headers (max)?? Every mail client I've used shows all my headers, and I just use the scrollbar to get to the beginning or end, I don't have to sift through clumps of headers. I know, you'll say there are too many headers to display at once. But that can be faked. Just set the scrollbar to indicate the total count, but only fetch 100. Scrolling can cause another fetch to happen, when required.
    You'll notice that virtually every webmail solution works like Zimbra rather than like Thunderbird. But it's a reasonable request, and I think that there's already a bug in bugzilla that you can vote for...
    Last edited by dkarp; 02-27-2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling-fu
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

  3. #3
    cdamon is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    3. Because menus "stick", I often find myself finding a bit of "whitespace" in the UI to click on to make the menu go away (when I don't want to choose something).
    Hitting the Esc key will also make the menu go away.

    -Conrad
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 10:06 AM
  2. Post instsallation problems
    By Assaf in forum Installation
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 11:38 AM
  3. Services stopped working
    By lilwong in forum Administrators
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 09:19 AM
  4. Fedora Core 3, Clean Install - Not working!
    By pcjackson in forum Installation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 07:38 PM
  5. Network edition - strange behavior
    By goetzi in forum Installation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 03:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •