Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Identities and aliases problem: wrong address given out by 5.0.6

  1. #1
    dspillett is offline Loyal Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Identities and aliases problem: wrong address given out by 5.0.6

    I've saw this problem in 5.0.4 too and ignored it assuming that it was user error, but I've seen it again and reproduced it several times...

    Problem: When I send mail using an identity that matches an alias setup for an account, Zimbra sets the from and replyto headers to the main address of that account.

    I use a catch-all sub-domain so I can give companies and groups I deal with different addresses to contact me on - so I can easily kill an address if a company/group/individual passes my address on intentionally or through lack of due diligence. I have the catch-all sub-domain pointing to my main account except addresses that now attract spam which are aliases of another account. For example:

    If I setup an identity in the account for me@doman.tld with the from and reply-to settings set to addr1@sub.domain.com the from and reply-to headers of the outgoing mail are given as spamtrap@domain.tld and if I do the same for addr3@ (i.e. any of those not aliased elsewhere so go to me@domain.tld) the headers of the outgoing mail are set as me@domain.tld.

    As the point of using a sub-domain and identities like this is hiding the main account a bit, this defeats the purpose. Is this a bug or behaviour-as-designed for some reason? If the latter, is there any way of changing the behaviour? The accounts in question are all set to "allow sending email from any address".

    Edit: additional info:
    * If I specifically set someaddress@sub.domain.tld as an alias of me@domain.tld, outgoing mail from and identity with the address someaddress@sub.domain.tld is still always me@domain.tld despite what is set in the identity's settings.
    * If I set an identity to have an address that is not known to my local Zimbra install at all (such as doesnotexist@example.com), the behaviour is as desired: the outgoing mail carries headers stating doesnotexist@example.com and not me@domain.tld.

    Edit: additional additional info:
    * I've confirmed that if I remove the catchall and/or aliases the behaviour is as expected (i.e. the address specified for the identity is given out), and re-adding the catch-all setting recreates the problem behaviour (the address given out is the address the catchall points to, not the address in the identity)
    Last edited by dspillett; 06-28-2008 at 10:10 AM.

  2. #2
    dspillett is offline Loyal Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I know it is rude to thread bump, but... Has anyone else noticed this issue, or could it be specific to my setup?

    I have tested a hacky work-around that seems to work well enough. I'll post the details here if the problem still persists (and if the workaround still works) after I've upgraded to 5.0.7 in the coming weekend's maintenance period.
    Last edited by dspillett; 07-03-2008 at 03:55 PM.

  3. #3
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,586
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    I can confirm that the bahaviour you're seeing does happen (on 5.0.7). I'd consider the reply should go to the alias address or the one you've set. That seems like a bug to me, could you please file an entry in bugzilla. - check first to see if if it's already been filed.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  4. #4
    dspillett is offline Loyal Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    could you please file an entry in bugzilla. - check first to see if if it's already been filed.
    Will do that later today, when I have time to search and (if needed) create myself a bugzilla account and knock together a proper bug report. I'll put together a human readable version of the hacky workaround too, as it might help other users (and, you never know, might help the devs in tracking down the gremlin).

    Edit: looks like it has already been reported: Bug 29658 – persona email address not used
    I've added my extra info to that bug, including the workaround I'm currently using.
    Last edited by dspillett; 07-05-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •