Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Printing/copying/exporting contacts

  1. #1
    DeltaBlast is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alkmaar, netherlands
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Printing/copying/exporting contacts

    Hi!

    There is an option to print your contacts list in the zimbra webinterface, but most of the names and e-mailadresses just get cut off by the table end. Quite the waste of paper, printing all that

    While I was messing around with contacts I also noted that you can't copy contacts, only move them. Shouldn't be too difficult to add a move button I think? Would be appreciated

    And lastly, there is no way to export them. It would be nice to export them in csv or something. But maybe I'm just nitpicking

    Keep up the good work!

  2. #2
    p24t is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Hmm ya, the printing contacts seems kinda useless if it doesn't print the whole thing. There's a bug for that: Bug 27048 - printing contacts with long email addresses doesn't print entire details

    There's an RFE for the copy as well. Bug 23027 - Allow copying of contacts to multiple Address Books

    If you want to export your contacts, go to Preferences -> Address Book, and use the export option. It gives several different formats for different programs.

  3. #3
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,201
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBlast View Post
    There is an option to print your contacts list in the zimbra webinterface, but most of the names and e-mailadresses just get cut off by the table end. Quite the waste of paper, printing all that

    While I was messing around with contacts I also noted that you can't copy contacts, only move them. Shouldn't be too difficult to add a move button I think? Would be appreciated
    I believe there are some RFEs in bugzilla for printing & copy options have a search there and vote for any you find. If there isn't one that meets your requirements then feel free to file a new enhancement request.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBlast View Post
    And lastly, there is no way to export them. It would be nice to export them in csv or something. But maybe I'm just nitpicking
    Of course you can export contacts as a .csv, (it's always been there) look in the user preferences or use the REST interface.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  4. #4
    DeltaBlast is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alkmaar, netherlands
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Ah! I found the export function! I would have expected it under the adress book, next to printing and moving instead of in preferences, though

    And it's good to see that the printing thing is already noted as a bug.

    And Phoenix, the description of this forum (the user forum) reads "Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.". Which is what I did. So saying I should file an enhancement request kinda defeats the purpose of the forum then

    I hope I didn't sound to negative, because aside from the problems we had (and are having right now), I love the way Zimbra works and we're testing our new Zimbra 5 server now (we're still on 4.5 for the users) which I love even more. Thanks!
    Last edited by DeltaBlast; 06-11-2008 at 06:58 AM.

  5. #5
    p24t is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Well, the "what you’d like to see added in the future" pretty much means file an RFE now doesn't it?

  6. #6
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,201
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBlast View Post
    And Phoenix, the description of this forum (the user forum) reads "Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.".
    Glad you told me that.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBlast View Post
    Which is what I did. So saying I should file an enhancement request kinda defeats the purpose of the forum then
    Whatever this forum is called, the correct place to make requests for feature enhancements is Bugzilla. That will get the attention of the developers and feature requests can be prioritised.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  7. #7
    gilpete is offline Starter Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Exporting contacts to outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBlast View Post
    Hi!

    There is an option to print your contacts list in the zimbra webinterface, but most of the names and e-mailadresses just get cut off by the table end. Quite the waste of paper, printing all that

    While I was messing around with contacts I also noted that you can't copy contacts, only move them. Shouldn't be too difficult to add a move button I think? Would be appreciated

    And lastly, there is no way to export them. It would be nice to export them in csv or something. But maybe I'm just nitpicking

    Keep up the good work!
    As to exporting to Outlook, I have found a way to do it, but it takes a little work. Click on Preferences, then the Addresses under my name, then the Address Book tab at top of screen, then highlight the first name, hold down shift key and highlight last name so all names are highlighted, then clicked on Forward, then Send the email with the names attached. When received by Zimbra, you have to Download All (go to bottom of list), give the folder a name, and they will download into a Zip file. Then you can open the Zipped file with Internet Explorer and drag them into Outlook "Contacts." Then I did an "Alt S" for each open Contact record to Save & Close each one.

    Instead of Sending the attached names to Zimbra, I sent them to an Outlook account. After receiving in Outlook, then I highlighted the attachments, I clicked on the Contacts tab at the bottom left of the Outlook screen, and Dragged the attached Contact records into Contacts. Then I did an "Alt S" for each open Contact record to Save & Close each one.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 05:32 AM
  2. Importing Cardscan contacts through Outlook
    By mtense in forum Administrators
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
  3. A Treo, a Mother, and shared contacts
    By Bruce in forum Zimbra Mobile
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 01:36 PM
  4. Cannot delete Contacts
    By zzzzsg in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 01:50 PM
  5. vbscript to convert Thunderbird contacts
    By zzzzsg in forum Administrators
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •