Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Mail filter defaults to 'any' and not 'all'

  1. #1
    andybz is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Mail filter defaults to 'any' and not 'all'

    We just had a problem here with one of our users creating a mail filter on some spam. It seems that Zimbra by default selects 'any' as the choice and not 'all'.

    This user's action was to Discard the mail, but the mail filter included his email address in the To field, so all mail addressed to him ended up being discarded.

    Can the Zimbra guys change the default from 'any' to become 'all' by default if you right click and email and select 'Add Filter'?

  2. #2
    Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    719
    Rep Power
    9

  3. #3
    andybz is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Thats what I'm looking for. Thanks!

  4. #4
    mmluba's Avatar
    mmluba is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    While mail filters are an end-user solution to spam that trickles through, it makes me wonder whether using them to really setup Zimbra filters to essentially "blacklist" specific messages is a wise solution. While spam will always manage to slip through, in a case like this I'd recommend users to setup to move messages to Junk, not Discard and watch to make sure things are running smoothly.

    Unless an end-user is tech savvy at setting up mail filters with 100% confidence, I'd recommend not using "discard" for anything. In fact, I do remember being warned strongly by a Zimbra employee to not use the Discard function unless absolutely necessary.

  5. #5
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,586
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmluba View Post
    While mail filters are an end-user solution to spam that trickles through, it makes me wonder whether using them to really setup Zimbra filters to essentially "blacklist" specific messages is a wise solution. While spam will always manage to slip through, in a case like this I'd recommend users to setup to move messages to Junk, not Discard and watch to make sure things are running smoothly
    IMO, the mail filters should never be used to filter spam. There are adequate resources in Zimbra to filter spam, if those services aren't doing the job then the investigation should be directed at 'why' the spam is getting through. The user should not move the message to Junk using a filter as this has no effect on training the filters, they should always use th Junk button when the spam hit's their inbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmluba View Post
    Unless an end-user is tech savvy at setting up mail filters with 100% confidence, I'd recommend not using "discard" for anything. In fact, I do remember being warned strongly by a Zimbra employee to not use the Discard function unless absolutely necessary..
    That's quite right, users should be careful using this feature - the above mentioned RFEs should go some way to alleviate this problem. If they really need a 'Discard' rule they should at least test their filer by moving the target mail into a temporary folder to make sure it isn't deleting valid email. I have seen several users that have used Discard and wondered why they stopped receiving mail from x days ago.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  6. #6
    blazeking is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California!
    Posts
    226
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I had exactly this problem - user "stopped receiving" e-mail. Turns out a discard rule was improperly setup. Is there a way to remove the "discard" option altogether?

  7. #7
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,586
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blazeking View Post
    I had exactly this problem - user "stopped receiving" e-mail. Turns out a discard rule was improperly setup. Is there a way to remove the "discard" option altogether?
    No, not at the moment. There's a couple of RFEs in bugzilla to give warnings about setting a discard option (I think it's fixed in 6.0 if you want to check).
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •