Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Outlook Junk E-mail vs Zimbra Junk folders

  1. #1
    beq
    beq is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Outlook Junk E-mail vs Zimbra Junk folders

    When Outlook accesses a Zimbra account via IMAP, it seems to be impossible to rename or delete the "Junk E-mail" special folder that Outlook creates. Even if that folder was deleted on the server, Outlook will just re-create it again.

    Conversely, it also seems to be impossible to rename or delete the default "Junk" folder in Zimbra (either in Outlook or in the Zimbra web client).

    How can I reconcile these two folders into one folder, and have both Outlook and the Zimbra web client treat the same folder as the special spam folder?


    P.S. From my limited testing previously, I think that when using the Outlook Connector, the Zimbra MAPI provider transparently translates "Junk E-mail" in Outlook to "Junk" in the Zimbra server (is this correct?). The problem is that my current hosted Zimbra provider (Brinkster) does not support the Outlook Connector so I have to use IMAP.

  2. #2
    dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,433
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I don't think there's a straightforward way to do this. Please file an enhancement request in bugzilla and we'll look into it. The probable solution would be to add a new /ol switch that you can append to your IMAP login name; when specified, we'd map "Junk E-mail" to "Junk".
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

  3. #3
    sturgis is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    France
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkarp View Post
    I don't think there's a straightforward way to do this. Please file an enhancement request in bugzilla and we'll look into it. The probable solution would be to add a new /ol switch that you can append to your IMAP login name; when specified, we'd map "Junk E-mail" to "Junk".
    Did you find a workaround for this issue?
    I have outlook in spanish creating a folder called "correo electronico no desado" and zimbra a "Junk" folder.
    Is there a way to tell Outlook to point to Zimbra's Junk folder??

    Thanks
    s t u r g i s : )
    http://toi.tokao.com

  4. #4
    Waffles is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    *dig*

    Bringing this thread back from the dead.

    I've spent the better part of 8 hours today trying to work around Outlook's craptacular IMAP implementation. And I honestly don't know what magical combination of words I used to actually find THIS thread from a google search but I've been trying to google this all day.

    Has there been any recent developments on something like an /OL switch that would remap "Sent Items" to "Sent" and "Junk Email" to "Junk" and "Deleted Items" to "Trash" ?

    This would be the holy grail of developments.

  5. #5
    Metaspace is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Just did some digging on this issue as I am having it too.

    There seems to be no straight-forward way of achieving this neither through Zimbra nor through Outlook.

    I am surprised no one from Zimbra has taken a position on this to either clarify the status or to at least confirm presence/lack of solution.

  6. #6
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,201
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaspace View Post
    I am surprised no one from Zimbra has taken a position on this to either clarify the status or to at least confirm presence/lack of solution.
    What is it that you're mad at? An answer was given by a member of staff on 2007-10-17 asking for an RFE to be filed, did you search bugzilla for any RFE? If you have searched bugzilla and there is an RFE then vote on it to give it added weight, if there isn't an RFE then feel free to file one.

    Without an RFE or bug report being filed then nothing will get done on this 'problem', bugzilla is the correct place to file enhancement requests.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  7. #7
    Waffles is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Enlighten the ignorant here.

    What EXACTLY would I put for the RFE here? I'm not sure WHAT I'm asking for here.

    "IMAP Folder remapping - Some method to allow a user to remap imap folders. Example: mail moved to 'Junk E-Mail' via an imap client would actually go to 'Junk' on the zimbra server"

    Does that sound reasonable? I don't know if I'm asking for the wrong feature to solve this delima.

  8. #8
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,201
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkarp View Post
    I don't think there's a straightforward way to do this. Please file an enhancement request in bugzilla and we'll look into it. The probable solution would be to add a new /ol switch that you can append to your IMAP login name; when specified, we'd map "Junk E-mail" to "Junk".
    Well, as Dan asked for the RFE I'd suggest something like the highlighted text or the title of this thread. You can always put a link in the RFE and reference this thread, give as meaningful description as you can and don't worry - the guys on triage are very bright at sifting through bug reports and RFEs.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  9. #9
    Metaspace is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Phoenix,

    It has been over two years since this initially was raised.
    I can deduce by your posts that this has still not been looked into at all.
    At the same time the Outlook plug-in cannot be made available neither free, nor at any reasonable cost due to some 'licensing' issues.

    As Waffles rightly points out, the definition of a RFE would be somewhat difficult for an outsider. Would it not be best of an insider were to define and formulate the RFE based on the discussion and questions here, and then post a link to said RFE here confirming that the Zimbra team have correctly understood the requirement ? To me, the highlighted by you text does not intuitively form in my head as a definition of the solution. Again, what you have cited here is something the insiders would understand and, as it happens in this case, was formulated by and insider.

    Finally, to cut a long enough by now message a bit shorter:
    Can team Zimbra please have a look at this thread and come up with a statement whether the issue here can be addressed at all. And if by chance it can be addressed, we would all be grateful for some timescale.

    Thanks,
    M

  10. #10
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,201
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaspace View Post
    It has been over two years since this initially was raised.
    I can deduce by your posts that this has still not been looked into at all.
    At the same time the Outlook plug-in cannot be made available neither free, nor at any reasonable cost due to some 'licensing' issues.
    Nothing will get looked at without an entry in bugzilla as either a bug report or a Request For Enhancement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaspace View Post
    As Waffles rightly points out, the definition of a RFE would be somewhat difficult for an outsider. Would it not be best of an insider were to define and formulate the RFE based on the discussion and questions here, and then post a link to said RFE here confirming that the Zimbra team have correctly understood the requirement ? To me, the highlighted by you text does not intuitively form in my head as a definition of the solution. Again, what you have cited here is something the insiders would understand and, as it happens in this case, was formulated by and insider.
    It's not difficult for anyone to file an RFE, the guys doing triage on the bugs are quite adept at understanding what people are asking or if it's not clear they will ask for clarification.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaspace View Post
    Finally, to cut a long enough by now message a bit shorter:
    Can team Zimbra please have a look at this thread and come up with a statement whether the issue here can be addressed at all. And if by chance it can be addressed, we would all be grateful for some timescale.
    Why is it difficult to file an RFE in your own words describing the problem you're experiencing or what it is you want changed?
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 07:01 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 10:06 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 09:05 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 06:39 AM
  5. port 7071 not listening OS X install
    By leeimber in forum Installation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2006, 10:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •