Thread: Alternatives to Network Edition ActiveSync

yonatan is offline Special Member

Default Alternatives to Network Edition ActiveSync

I've have an NE version 6 server that's using the free 10 user license that was available with the zimbra appliance (now MIA).

I want to upgrade to version 7, but I read some where that my license will no longer work. This means I can either pay for the NE starter pack or go to the OSE.

If I move to the OSE I'll lose ActiveSync which would really suck.

There appears to be two main alternatives: Z-Push and ZeXtras Mobile Module.

What experience does anyone have with these two and how do they compare with Zimbra's NE ActiveSync?

Thanks

lytledd is offline Elite Member

I don't know about ZeXtras, but on my small home system, in which I run Zimbra 7.20 OSE on ESXi 5 Free, I have 3 users that use ActiveSync, 2 Android phones and 1 IPhone 4.

I use Z-Push for ActiveSync for phones and I use Funambol for my 1 user that insists using Outlook.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Quote Originally Posted by lytledd View Post
    I don't know about ZeXtras, but on my small home system, in which I run Zimbra 7.20 OSE on ESXi 5 Free, I have 3 users that use ActiveSync, 2 Android phones and 1 IPhone 4.

I use Z-Push for ActiveSync for phones and I use Funambol for my 1 user that insists using Outlook.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

How is Z-Push working for you? Was it easy to install and setup? I guess you created a separate vm for Z-Push, right?

federico.bertola is online now Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by yonatan View Post
    How is Z-Push working for you? Was it easy to install and setup? I guess you created a separate vm for Z-Push, right?
    Hi Yonatan,
    I've used Z-push for many month last year, I chose it as it free but when I tried ZxMobile (the zextras' Activesync module), I saw that:
    • it's more intergrated with zimbra,
    • it can be managed by the zimbra admin console,
    • it's written in java, like mailboxd and simple to install and setup
    • it's well supported thru the official forums

So I guess that it can be more scalable and performant, expecially with hundreds of users of my enviroment.
    In my case, I chose zextras because many users have had problems to configure the devices, most of times they try to set the "zimbra hostname" as activesync server, but in my enviroment Z-pust had another address (i.e. mobile.domain.com), so now I no need for another server (and I save my money with less amazon ec2 hosts).
    Federico Bertola
    CTO @ StudioStorti

Hey Federico,

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll have to look at ZxMobile in more detail.

lytledd is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by yonatan View Post
    Hi Doug,

It's working very well, and it was pretty straight forward to setup. Yes, I created a separate VM for both z-push and funambol.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

soxfan is offline Moderator

Just as another point of reference, I am using z-push, with the zimbra backend, as well. Overall I thought it was relatively easy and straightforward to setup. I guess my only knock is that there is one HUGE thread here on the Zimbra forums that you have to search through to find info. There are a couple of other sites that have some info on setting it up, so it might be better to search for those first. Right now I am the only one in our company using this setup and it works great. However we are looking to migrate about 25-30 users over to Androids, so I will find out real soon about scalability.

Thread Information