Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Native app for contacts sync for Android

hybrid512 is offline Active Member

Well, LVSync is beeing worked on currently ... we are very late simply because we're a small company and we had too much work these last month giving us no time to work on this project.
    Remember that LVSync is, at least currently, a spare time project, we're not earning much money from it and thus, it has lower priority compared to our regular activity.
    Anyway, as I said, we are now working on it again since we had a bit more ressources that we can dedicate to this project.
    I know this is a long time since last release but the new version really is a major release since we're working on these features :
    - 2-way sync
    - GAL sync
    - contact pictures sync
    - calendar sync
    - tasks sync (with dedicated task application since there is no task API for Android)

I guess you'll like the new release but I really can't tell you when it will be ready since it needs a lot of code rewrite.

Regards.
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi
    www : http://www.lezard-visuel.com

LVSync - Sync your Zimbra's contacts, calendars and tasks on Android without the need of ActiveSync !

storm is offline Advanced Member

Hi,

That's great to hear! I had started the bewildering process of learning Android development myself in order to create a similar app, though my skills in that area are lacking.

I was wondering if there was a beta-test of LV Contacts Zimbra sync that I or others here could help test?

Also, is there any way we can donate money to help your development?

I ask because the current one-way sync doesn't work on my 2.3 device. Also, other methods - Nitrodesk Touchdown, built-in exchange, and carddav-sync, miss many fields (due to Zimbra not sending certain fields, and most multiple fields via cardDAV or Exchange/activesync. And poor mapping.)

Thus, I believe using Zimbra SOAP with specific mapping to Android Contacts is definitely the right way forward.

I would suggest that getting Android to use the fileAs value specified by the Zimbra user, as opposed to the full names of a contact, may be a challenge - all other sync methods fail to achieve this!

Many thanks,
    Störm

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid512 View Post
    Well, LVSync is beeing worked on currently ... we are very late simply because we're a small company and we had too much work these last month giving us no time to work on this project.
    Remember that LVSync is, at least currently, a spare time project, we're not earning much money from it and thus, it has lower priority compared to our regular activity.
    Anyway, as I said, we are now working on it again since we had a bit more ressources that we can dedicate to this project.
    I know this is a long time since last release but the new version really is a major release since we're working on these features :
    - 2-way sync
    - GAL sync
    - contact pictures sync
    - calendar sync
    - tasks sync (with dedicated task application since there is no task API for Android)

I guess you'll like the new release but I really can't tell you when it will be ready since it needs a lot of code rewrite.

Regards.

myriad is offline Active Member

Default Try aCal while you wait for LVsync to be ready.

I use aCal (purchase version), and for $3 it works well (not great), but at least it works! It is available on the market. Zimbra should have its own app also IMHO.

Cheers Myriad. That's good for those awaiting native calender sync. There are some other cool calDav apps on Android Market to now.

Of course, it doesn't help with native syncing Zimbra of contacts.

This is essential because at present there is no way of 2-way syncing Zimbra with Android without *losing data* if you use various fields (such as multiple mobile phone numbers, multiple web sites etc...). The only way to implement lossless 2-way syncing is via SOAP. LVContacts is the only alive project for this at present.

myriad is offline Active Member

What about Z-push backend?

Hi,

Could you explain what's going wrong with your 2.3 powered device ?
    I personaly have an HTC Desire running Android 2.3.4 (Oxygen rom) and I have no problem with LVContacts.
    Can you give me more details on your setup ?

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by storm View Post
    Hi,

That's great to hear! I had started the bewildering process of learning Android development myself in order to create a similar app, though my skills in that area are lacking.

I was wondering if there was a beta-test of LV Contacts Zimbra sync that I or others here could help test?

Also, is there any way we can donate money to help your development?

I ask because the current one-way sync doesn't work on my 2.3 device. Also, other methods - Nitrodesk Touchdown, built-in exchange, and carddav-sync, miss many fields (due to Zimbra not sending certain fields, and most multiple fields via cardDAV or Exchange/activesync. And poor mapping.)

Thus, I believe using Zimbra SOAP with specific mapping to Android Contacts is definitely the right way forward.

I would suggest that getting Android to use the fileAs value specified by the Zimbra user, as opposed to the full names of a contact, may be a challenge - all other sync methods fail to achieve this!

Many thanks,
    Störm
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi

LVSync - Sync your Zimbra's contacts, calendars and tasks on Android without the need of ActiveSync !

You're right, using native Zimbra SOAP API is the only way of getting every functionnalities you have in Zimbra such as GAL data, shared elements, ...

Cheers Myriad. That's good for those awaiting native calender sync. There are some other cool calDav apps on Android Market to now.

Of course, it doesn't help with native syncing Zimbra of contacts.

This is essential because at present there is no way of 2-way syncing Zimbra with Android without *losing data* if you use various fields (such as multiple mobile phone numbers, multiple web sites etc...). The only way to implement lossless 2-way syncing is via SOAP. LVContacts is the only alive project for this at present.
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi

You're right, using native Zimbra SOAP API is the only way of getting every functionnalities you have in Zimbra such as GAL data, shared elements, ...
    Exactly -

a) LVContacts at present is one-way sync
    b) I may as well use Carddav-sync or any other solution which can work one-way only (to protect my data) - and which work better than LVContacts
    c) in any case LVContacts doesn't sync all Zimbra fields (even if you ignore custom fields).
    d) LVContacts has never worked for me (possibly since I [necessarily] have over 2000 contacts). I'm trying again now in case it was my build of Cyanogen.

CardDav-sync is what I'm using at the moment. It's very well designed and has a responsive developer. I have one account to sync one-way only from my Zimbra main contacts folder to my device, and I have another account to sync the other-way (one-way only) which syncs contacts I create on my phone to another folder in Zimbra. It's clunky, but it works. Any other method results in me losing contact data.

Unfortunately, cardDav will not (in the medium term) be a solution, as CardDAV, Zimbra, and Android/Google each have deficiencies which mean there will never likely be a smooth sync of all contact fields both ways.

a) I know, this is beeing worked on but as I said, we're lacking time to work on LVSync as much as we would like

b) Cardav-sync is certainly good but not better, you must set every address book you have one by one and I'm not even sure you can access shared contacts and I'm not also even sure you can retrieve every contacts fields due to some Caldav restrictions so, this is a working solution, but not a better one. The fact is that you had troubles running LVContacts but you're a specific situation, for most of our users, no one encounters those troubles.

c) What do you mean ? I won't say LVContacts sync absolutely every fields but there are many many elements synchronized so if there is some specific field that you require that is not synchronized, just tell us so that we can correct this.

d) I don't know why LVContacts doesn't work for you, most of the bugs we encountered we're related to local storage exaustion since the contact sqlite db has to be stored on the local storage and can't be moved to external storage, with 2000 contacts, you certainly need space for this and this could be the reason why you have troubles running LVContacts. Anyway, this is just an hypothesis.

Now, you seem to imply that we're not responsive but I personnaly try to answer to every requests in order to help people who have problems running our software but we are very busy these last month and we're not earning money from this so we have to spend our time on our top priorities and, unfortunately, LVContacts is not top priority.
    We're sorry about that, we have plenty of ideas and new stuff we would like to implement, at that moment, we just finished a working task manager and we will be working on task synchronization soon but things are coming slowly, slower than we would like and certainly slower than you would expect but we're doing our best.

Anyway, we're not saying our application is the best, however, this is certainly the only "native" one and the only, at that moment, which is going to evolve the right way with the ability to take benefit of every features and functionnalities of Zimbra since this is the only one which doesn't depend on a proprietary protocal such as ActiveSync or a generalist one which implies many limitations. We're using the native SOAP Zimbra's API, this is the big difference and this is the only efficient solution, now anyone can do what we did or what we're expecting to do in the future but at that very moment, we're the only one doing this way.

Exactly -

a) LVContacts at present is one-way sync
    b) I may as well use Carddav-sync or any other solution which can work one-way only (to protect my data) - and which work better than LVContacts
    c) in any case LVContacts doesn't sync all Zimbra fields (even if you ignore custom fields).
    d) LVContacts has never worked for me (possibly since I [necessarily] have over 2000 contacts). I'm trying again now in case it was my build of Cyanogen.

CardDav-sync is what I'm using at the moment. It's very well designed and has a responsive developer. I have one account to sync one-way only from my Zimbra main contacts folder to my device, and I have another account to sync the other-way (one-way only) which syncs contacts I create on my phone to another folder in Zimbra. It's clunky, but it works. Any other method results in me losing contact data.

Unfortunately, cardDav will not (in the medium term) be a solution, as CardDAV, Zimbra, and Android/Google each have deficiencies which mean there will never likely be a smooth sync of all contact fields both ways.
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi

Hey, I think there was a bit of confusion here. Apologies if my words seemed harsh. As I've stated previously, I really appreciate the work you do... and indeed as I said in a previous post today, your software is the only viable option with potential for native 2-way Zimbra contact sync.

My response was to your earlier post, where you asked what was wrong with my device, but the other issues/questions I mentioned weren't addressed. I didn't realise you were the developer at that point, I thought you were a user that had just misunderstood my post, which is why I wrote my points a) to d), to explain why LVContacts wasn't suitable (for my use case)... yet!

a) I know, this is beeing worked on but as I said, we're lacking time to work on LVSync as much as we would like

b) Cardav-sync is certainly good but not better, you must set every address book you have one by one and I'm not even sure you can access shared contacts and I'm not also even sure you can retrieve every contacts fields due to some Caldav restrictions so, this is a working solution, but not a better one. The fact is that you had troubles running LVContacts but you're a specific situation, for most of our users, no one encounters those troubles.
    I agree, as I said in my last post. I wasn't trying to compare them, just in my use case. I also made it clear that I felt CardDAV was an incredibly useful stopgap app, though not a sustainable option for me since I need all fields synced and preserved.

You certainly can't pick every field at the moment, and probably ever - due to Zimbra (failing to implement CardDAV 4 protocol yet, failing to include multiples of certain fields in its CardDAV implementation, and not including certain standard properties - I've filed a number of bugs for these in Zimbra bugzilla - search CardDAV) and due to CardDAV limitations (even with upcoming CardDAV 4, many fields aren't supported).

I use Card-dav sync because at the moment it's the closest I can get to 2-way sync (albeit a clunky workaround) - even if LVContacts was working for me.

I'm not sure if you can access shared contacts, most probably not.

I agree it's a pain to have to setup an account for each addressbook, though personally I prefer to have granularity and set different properties for each in any case (for example syncing priority).

c) What do you mean ? I won't say LVContacts sync absolutely every fields but there are many many elements synchronized so if there is some specific field that you require that is not synchronized, just tell us so that we can correct this.
    I meant just that, that not all Zimbra fields are synchronised. I'll get you a list when I next can. Also, afaik custom fields are not synchronised(?) this would be useful in the future. I should have mentioned that CardDAV sync doesn't either, though that was mentioned elsewhere in message.

d) I don't know why LVContacts doesn't work for you, most of the bugs we encountered we're related to local storage exaustion since the contact sqlite db has to be stored on the local storage and can't be moved to external storage, with 2000 contacts, you certainly need space for this and this could be the reason why you have troubles running LVContacts. Anyway, this is just an hypothesis.
    Good point. I'll clear lots of space and try this out. My contact storage (including photos) is usually about 12MB

Now, you seem to imply that we're not responsive but I personnaly try to answer to every requests in order to help people who have problems running our software but we are very busy these last month and we're not earning money from this so we have to spend our time on our top priorities and, unfortunately, LVContacts is not top priority.
    I didn't say you were unresponsive, just that CardDAV Sync was responsive. I said this because the developer has worked well and made improvements all along according to my and other users suggestions, and communicated well.

I don't expect that level of responsiveness, though it's nice, I didn't mean to imply you were not responsive. (Though I had emailed a couple of times with no response.) I didn't feel aggrieved, you had made it clear that things were very busy and not the priority at the moment. I empathise, and I appreciate the amazing work you do, I'm sure all the readers here do.

We're sorry about that, we have plenty of ideas and new stuff we would like to implement, at that moment, we just finished a working task manager and we will be working on task synchronization soon but things are coming slowly, slower than we would like and certainly slower than you would expect but we're doing our best.

Anyway, we're not saying our application is the best, however, this is certainly the only "native" one and the only, at that moment, which is going to evolve the right way with the ability to take benefit of every features and functionnalities of Zimbra since this is the only one which doesn't depend on a proprietary protocal such as ActiveSync or a generalist one which implies many limitations. We're using the native SOAP Zimbra's API, this is the big difference and this is the only efficient solution, now anyone can do what we did or what we're expecting to do in the future but at that very moment, we're the only one doing this way.
    You're absolutely right, which is why we're all so keen on your software. That's also why I've offered to donate or help. I'm sure others would to if you wanted donations.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information