Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Native app for contacts sync for Android

hybrid512 is offline Active Member

Hi,

We added https support recently and we tested it on our own Zimbra OSE with self signed certificate so I can say this is working very well.
    Our test phone is an Acer Liquid with a cooked ROM under Android 2.1.

Since the minimal requirements for LVContacts are Android 2.x.
    The Motorola DEXT is not based on Android 2.x but after some Googling, it seems there's an update of the firmware that has been released few months ago ... since I have no DEXT, I can't confirm anyway.

If you didn't already buy the phone, I would recommend looking at a more recent one since the DEXT is definitely not a bleeding edge model ... If you want to stick to Motorola, you should have a look at the Milestone which have the same features (aka a physical keyboard) but is more powerful, has a better resolution and is based on Android 2.1.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by dkbk View Post
    Hi

Seems like a great program there.

We're currently using a OSE edition with a self-signed certificate and one of the phones we're looking at would be the Motorola DEXT.

Have you had any issue with the phone or with self-signed certificate in the past ?
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi
    www : http://www.lezard-visuel.com

LVSync - Sync your Zimbra's contacts, calendars and tasks on Android without the need of ActiveSync !

dkbk is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid512 View Post
    Hi,
    If you didn't already buy the phone, I would recommend looking at a more recent one since the DEXT is definitely not a bleeding edge model ... If you want to stick to Motorola, you should have a look at the Milestone which have the same features (aka a physical keyboard) but is more powerful, has a better resolution and is based on Android 2.1.
    Regards
    Thanks for your reply.

I too was under the impression DEXT would be upgradable to 2.x but that seems to have changed after my latest search.

My issues is with my mobile carrier as they carry a very limited selection of android devices with physical keyboards. The DEXT was actually just launched this month (with the 1.5 OS obviously)!

I'm currently evaluating all of our options but I do like the Android platform much more than comparable BB's.

Ooops, I just saw I was talking about the Motorola "Milestone" but this is the name here, in Europe, it is called Motorola "Droid" in the US.
    For other models with real keyboards, it seems there are a few ones announced but too difficult to say which are there or will be good ... at least, I know the Motorola "Droid" exists and is available.
    I would say that, by now, this is the best pretender for a real keyboard, otherwise, if touchscreen is good for you, you can take a look at the HTC Desire, HTC Incredible or the Google Nexus One.
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi

LVSync - Sync your Zimbra's contacts, calendars and tasks on Android without the need of ActiveSync !

trauntop is offline New Member

<rant>
    I bought this app yesterday and I'm very disappointed. Not only did you add a "ro" to the app's name (it doesn't appear in any of your screenshots), which I found out later stands for read-only and makes it almost useless, it also always "force closes" with my account. When I go through the logs I found an "out of memory" message.

With a new fresh account It seemed to work. At least I was able to "sync" one contact with my phone (G1 with Cyanogenmod 6.0.0).

Also there is no way for a non-french speaking person to contact you on your website. The contact form is available only in French.

I'm not sure whether I can be @rsed to get my £1 refunded. Maybe the app will work one day.
    </rant>

Sorry for the rant above, but I thought I finally found a way to sync my contacts with the OSE. I also found it very dishonest of you not to mention on your website or your FAQ that it is not a two-way sync.

Quote Originally Posted by trauntop View Post
    <rant>
    I bought this app yesterday and I'm very disappointed. Not only did you add a "ro" to the app's name (it doesn't appear in any of your screenshots), which I found out later stands for read-only and makes it almost useless, it also always "force closes" with my account. When I go through the logs I found an "out of memory" message.

With a new fresh account It seemed to work. At least I was able to "sync" one contact with my phone (G1 with Cyanogenmod 6.0.0).

Also there is no way for a non-french speaking person to contact you on your website. The contact form is available only in French.

I'm not sure whether I can be @rsed to get my £1 refunded. Maybe the app will work one day.
    </rant>

Sorry for the rant above, but I thought I finally found a way to sync my contacts with the OSE. I also found it very dishonest of you not to mention on your website or your FAQ that it is not a two-way sync.
    Hi,

I find your rant against us quite unfair since this application is developped on spare time based on an internal need for ourselves and some of our customers.
    We're earning nearly nothing with it, it's a very "niche" market and the money we earn don't even pay the time passed on the developpement.
    Now, the idea of the application was to be able to have your Zimbra contacts on your phone, we never claimed that is was a complete sync solution, it has advantages over other solutions (sync all your address books, sync your shared address books, fully integrated in the android contacts making it usable for daily use with your phone such as passing a call, sending a SMS, an e-mail, doesn't need ActiveSync and so, works with Zimbra OSE, ...), it also have some drawbacks such as 1-way sync.

Now you're encountering crashes with the application, I'm sorry about that but you could simply send us a bug report so that we could help you instead of flamming us on a public forum which is quite unfair since, even if it's not worse the money, I take time to answer to every request as fast as I can.
    Now you're saying our contact form is Franch only and there is no way for a non french speaker to contact us, apparently, it didn't discouraged many of our customers who contacted us before.
    I agree that we should have an english contact form since the LVContacts website is in both languages ... we will correct this asap, this is on our todo list for a long time now but I guess that a very standard contact form with only 3 mandatory fields (name, email and message) is not that unacceptable.

Anyway, concerning your problem, as you said, you're encountering an "Out of memory" error which is quite self explanatory ... LVContacts stores the contacts db on the internal memory, this is an Android restriction, and thus, if your internal memory is filled and your contact db is huge, then, you should encounter such problem.
    Make some space on your internal memory and try again ... if you still have problem, I invite you to contact and send us your logs so that we can try to fix your problem.

Concerning your comment about a refund, I remind you that you can cancel your purchase within 24h on the Google Market and then be totally refund.

Now, you can think we are "dishonnest" but I guess all this would have been very simply solved with just an e-mail instead of ranting on this forum which is certainly not the best place for that.

Regards.
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi

Ho, I forgot, concerning 2-way sync, this will be introduced in the next major release which will be version 2.0 and will be renamed "LVSync".

The features we're working on for this release are :
    • contacts and also calendars/task sync
    • 2-way sync on every elements
    • GAL sync
    • contact pictures
    • Corporate licencing system so that companies can deploy and control the application on their devices with only one Google account and a web administration panel

... plus many fixes and little improvement here and there.
    This is a complete rewrite of the application but we are quite busy these times so we're completely over schedule and it is very hard to give any release date so far.

For those who buy LVContacts, you'll be updated freely, this new application will replace LVContacts, this is not a separated application.

Regards.
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi

Hi,

LVContacts 1.9 has been released and it adds many new synced fields from Zimbra that were not synced before such as company and every e-mail/phone/IM/URLs/address fields.
    It also fixes a few bugs.
    This is the last LVContacts release (except if there are few bugs reported to fix), this is a transitional release before LVSync which will replace it soon.
    Sorry again for the delay, we were announcing September at first but we're now definitely over schedule and I won't announce any new release schedule by now, the only thing I can say is that we're not so far from it.

Regards.
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi

LiljedahlPA Guest

I tried to find LVContacts on Android market but couldn't find it. Have you withdrawn it?

I have android 2.3, could that be the problem?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LiljedahlPA View Post
    I tried to find LVContacts on Android market but couldn't find it. Have you withdrawn it?
    It's still there for me when I search, you are searching for 'lvcontacts' I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by LiljedahlPA View Post
    I have android 2.3, could that be the problem?
    You have Gingerbread installed on your phone? AFAIK, it shouldn't make any difference as long as you can search the Android Market.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi,

I was using LVContacts myself on my phone (HTC Desire 2.2) and never had any trouble to find it on the Market.
    Since very recently, I installed a custom rom with 2.3 and I still can find it on the Market and as far I can tell, it's working very well under 2.3 either so, I don't really understand why you can't find it.
    There are only 2 restrictions to find it on the Market :
    - running Android >2.x
    - beeing able to access paid applications (ie. beeing covered by Google Checkout)

If you answer these 2 conditions, then there should be no reasons not to find it but if this is the case, I must admit that I don't why and how to fix this anyway

Regards
    LEZARD VISUEL
    Walid Moghrabi

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information