View Poll Results: Which mobile device do you prefer to support ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPhone

15 71.43%
  • BlackBerry

4 19.05%
  • Windows Mobile

2 9.52%

Thread: ActiveSync or SyncML

uxbod is offline Moderator

Question ActiveSync or SyncML

We are looking at how we can support both types of synchronization methods for our prospective clients. Having tested a iPhone with Zimbra Mobile that works straight out of the box. Moving onto a BlackBerry using Funambol to sync with Zimbra we ran into quite a few issues; duplicate calendar entries, appointments being re-sent, appointments being sent with incorrect email address! From researching, the later, I believe the problem occurs when using two calendar sources are configured on the BB.

Which devices do you support for your clients ? What issues have you ran into ? Do you even use ActiveSync clients on BBs ?

bdial is offline Moderator

we probably have 2 dozen windows mobile devices and an equal amount of blackberrys among our staff. The windows mobile devices have been rock solid when it comes to sync'ing. I can't remember the last time I had an issue with someone's device not syncing properly. On the other hand, we have nothing but problems with our blackberry devices. Duplicate address books, devices needing several activations to finally work, and hte server just taking a crap seemingly once a week and needing restart. And of course RIM won't talk to you if you tell them you're running zimbra even if you pay for BES.

Additionally we have several people using their personal iphones and I have my droid that uess the activesync protocol and have also been rock solid. it's nice that zimbra mobile is an addon that is not per-user so we can provide the ability to all employees on their personal devices. We do not do this for people with personal blackberrys because it would require a bes license.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Thanks, bdial. Yeah my manager ended up with 3500+ duplicated calendar appointments! Fortunately was able to craft a perl script to go through the MySQL tables and generate a zmmailbox deleteitem list to delete them

The BBs do appear to be very temperamental when connected to a server that is not a BES. We ran them at a previous employer connected to Domino and that worked fine via BES.

tobru is offline Active Member

Hi,

I also have duplicated calendar entries (each entry 4 times), after trying funambol sync with thunderbird. Can you please post your perl script?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
    Tobias

dave_kempe is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

hanging out for BES express to maybe solve the blackberry syncing problem.
    I hope the dudes at Zimbra HQ are putting pressure on RIM to get them a beta, being a partner and all.
    http://www.solutionsfirst.com.au/hosting/zimbra/
    Australia's premier Zimbra Hosting Partner
    Resellers wanted!

MACscr is offline Special Member

Why didnt you list android? Its the top selling smartphone os right now.

I am just getting into Zimbra and I am not even sure how I am going to handle the blackberry issue. Cant believe its considered an enterprise phone and doesnt support activesync. BES express requires windows, so thats pretty much not an option either as I cant stand MS servers and just not worth the additional expenses being that I am not sure how much use I would get out of it. Im considering astrasync, but Ive read a few bad things about it. Notifysync's price makes it a non option. Dave, did BES express end up working out for you?

Im thinking about doing the syncml thing, but I really dont want to have to manage a funambol setup and it seems to integrate into zimbra in kind of a hackish way. I really wish zimbra had native syncml support.

matzup is offline Junior Member

I also want a native SyncML support.
    But i don't prefer any of the listed devices.

I use Meamo/Meego and it has already a SyncML-App.

fruitloaf is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    Why didnt you list android? Its the top selling smartphone os right now.

I am just getting into Zimbra and I am not even sure how I am going to handle the blackberry issue. Cant believe its considered an enterprise phone and doesnt support activesync. BES express requires windows, so thats pretty much not an option either as I cant stand MS servers and just not worth the additional expenses being that I am not sure how much use I would get out of it. Im considering astrasync, but Ive read a few bad things about it. Notifysync's price makes it a non option. Dave, did BES express end up working out for you?

Im thinking about doing the syncml thing, but I really dont want to have to manage a funambol setup and it seems to integrate into zimbra in kind of a hackish way. I really wish zimbra had native syncml support.
    I'm doing part of an evaluation of Zimbra for someone and for Blackberries they've simply decided to use one of the Activesync apps (Astrasync probably but there is also Notifysync) rather than have to go down the BES route. For the number of BB devices they're thinking about its simply not worth the cost.

serj is offline New Member

Thumbs up

iPhone + Zimbra Mobil = convenient solution

Thread Information