Page 78 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: Z-Push Zimbra Backend (Push Email, Contacts, Appointments & Tasks)

liverpoolfcfan is online now Outstanding Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonallport View Post
    Just came across this one, can't see anyone else mentioning it so I thought I'd just point it out.

I've just tested my first Android client on z-push and the username field is formatted DOMAIN\username as one string. If you then try to wipe/delete this client through provisioning, the '\' in that field means that the form will not display. If I manually amend the address (remove one of the two '\'s) the form will display but, understandably, the wipe/delete will not work.

Admittedly I have a sample size of one, and that's not an OEM android build (American Android booted from SD on HTC HD2 - Gingerbread w/cyanogen) so I don't know if it applies to any other handsets.
    Do you need to enter a domain for your environment ?

We have multiple Samsung Galaxy S phones here and never enter a domain - just the login name - when setting up the email accounts. A domain name is never stored against the record in the provisioning database.

jonallport is offline Special Member

Thanks for the comment.

No, I don't rely on domain and indeed there are no issues without it. It was just an observation really.

The way I tell users to setup their phones is "Follow the manufacturer's instructions for 'Exchange', 'Microsoft Exchange' or 'ActiveSync', with the following parameters..." (servername, U/N, P/W, etc.)

My concern was that rather than storing domain as a separate string and sending {domain}\{username}, the Android client just has {domain\username} as a single string which causes the issues with the provisioning pages, seemingly because of the "\\" passed as part of the username parameter.

I agree that leaving the domain out will not cause and sync issues, but it's inevitable that some users will enter the domain parameter on their phones (nature abhors a vacuum, or blank form field), and because of that the remote wipe will not work. I won't be using any Android handsets in the wild for the time being, but I'll be wary of this should that situation arise.

jimorin is offline Intermediate Member

Hi,

I have two questions.

My first one is what is the expected delay for z-push to send the mails?
    Sometimes I received the mail instantly, sometimes after 10 mintutes the mail have yet to be pushed.

My second one is what are the performance requirement for z-push?
    I'm actually testing z-push on a test server, I'm wondering how powerfull a production server have to be for z-push and I can't find spec requirement for z-push anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jimorin View Post
    My first one is what is the expected delay for z-push to send the mails?
    Sometimes I received the mail instantly, sometimes after 10 mintutes the mail have yet to be pushed.
    There are multiple factors that affect performance. The client (phone) & the carrier network coverage are the primary ones. Typically for well-behaved clients with good coverage, you would expect to receive emails within 20 seconds. z-push normally runs a 10 second ping cycle - during which it will notify the phone if there are any changes to the folders being 'ping'ed. And, once a ping has been responded to by z-push, it is down to the phone how quickly it reconnects to look for the actual changes.

Quote Originally Posted by jimorin View Post
    My second one is what are the performance requirement for z-push?
    I'm actually testing z-push on a test server, I'm wondering how powerfull a production server have to be for z-push and I can't find spec requirement for z-push anywhere.
    No idea on this one. I guess it would depend on how many clients you have.

Probably best to ask both questions on the z-push forums to look for official answers.

glennbtn is offline Loyal Member

I take it that the issues currently with iphones not sending attachments at the moment are down to Z-push and not the zimbra backend part?

Quote Originally Posted by glennbtn View Post
    I take it that the issues currently with iphones not sending attachments at the moment are down to Z-push and not the zimbra backend part?
    No. It is actually a zimbra backend issue with parsing the messages produced by iOS5. Please try out version 51.9 from the SVN trunk which has a major rework of the code to handle parsing/attachments and pm me to let me know if it fixes your issues. Also, please read the updated release notes carefully - as HTML and multi-folder support is also introduced for iPxxx devices.

xaled is offline Starter Member

Default How to control multiple calendars

Hi,

I just got the latest z-push and backend running and really enjoying the features.

There is one question I have concerning the synchronization of multiple calendars. There are multiple shared calendars in my zimbra account. On my IPhone I receive calendar entries from the shared calendars that are switched off in the web client.

Is it possible to have only activated calendars to get synchronized over z-push?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by xaled View Post
    Hi,

I just got the latest z-push and backend running and really enjoying the features.

There is one question I have concerning the synchronization of multiple calendars. There are multiple shared calendars in my zimbra account. On my IPhone I receive calendar entries from the shared calendars that are switched off in the web client.

Is it possible to have only activated calendars to get synchronized over z-push?

Thanks.
    When you say latest - do you mean Release 51 - or the latest trunk version 51.9 ?

With an iPhone, and version 51.9, you should be able to turn on/off calendars.

For any other phones - Read up on the SmartFolders feature. If you enable it, then simply add a "-" character to the end of the shared calendar folder in your Web Client and it will no longer sync to the phone.

xaled is offline Starter Member

thanks for the quick reply.

I mean 51.

I'll update to 51.9 and check the SmartFolders functionality. If it wont work I'll get back to the forum.

gtr33m is offline Loyal Member

Default Remote provisioning to fix up clients

I recently updated to 51.7.as12.1 primarily to allow html emails.

It has been working fine for a few weeks now, with the exception of the occasional email with no body text.

One of the caveats of the upgrade is the necessity of resetting the clients as the 'state' folder works differently. The problem I am faced with is resetting the remote clients so that they can access emails.

Some of the clients are physically remote and I am faced with walking them through dropping and re-creating the email accounts on different devices over the phone, a task which is very painful and not always successful.

Is there a way to fix the problem using remote provisioning, or something I can do on the server to fix the problem? If it's a matter of combing through the state folder and deleting some files, this is easier than the other option.

Thanks,

Mark
    Mark Hawkins

Medalist

Page 78 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread Information