Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exchange 2003 Migration Issues

JordanPWilliams is offline New Member

Angry Exchange 2003 Migration Issues

To the Devs,

First and foremost, I am a proud licensee of the software. I can't explain how liberating it is to find a product that competes in the same back yard as Exchange.

Simply brilliant.

On to the issues.

I'm currently migrating to from a Windows SBS 2003 server to an Ubuntu 6.10 + Zimbra NE setup.

I seem to have some issues running the migration wizard. I have successfully imported 10 of the 12 accounts, with varying results.

I always receive the 899351 KB Microsoft warning which I have no idea how to resolve. I have followed the Regsvr directions to no success, so I will look to manually importing the Calendars.

However, I continue to have issues migrating two user accounts. They have ~7.500 and ~9.500 items to import, and they both get to about 70% before a fatal error that stops them dead in their tracks. It's curious however, because I successfully imported another account that was close to ~10.000 items with no issues. I am running the migration wizard directly on the Exchange 2003 server as the Administrator. The Zimbra server exists across a 4.6Mbit connection to my data center.

I get a COM exception 80004005 error with approximately 10-15 "Message too large" warnings.

This is getting somewhat frustrating as the two accounts i'm trying to import are the most important, and I must have resolve somewhat quickly.

Other than that. This is a brilliant product. My only last gripe is that i'm patiently awaiting a proper Outlook 2007 MAPI connector + Migration tool.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jordan Williams
    DynaTek Media Corporation
    Director of Technology

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Hi

Welcome to the forums.

Do you actually know the size of the messages that are causing the problems? You can change the message size that Zimbra accepts with the following commands:
    Code:
    zmprov mcf zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize 51200000
    zmprov mcf zimbraFileUploadMaxSize 51200000
    Obviously change the file size to something that is in excess of the ones causing the problem and run the commands as the Zimbra user. If you don't know the size then just increase it to 50MB for example. You can get the defaults for the fields by running the above commands with 'gcf' (and no parameter) instead of 'mcf'
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Hi

Welcome to the forums.

Do you actually know the size of the messages that are causing the problems? You can change the message size that Zimbra accepts with the following commands:
    Code:
    zmprov mcf zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize 51200000
    zmprov mcf zimbraFileUploadMaxSize 51200000
    Obviously change the file size to something that is in excess of the ones causing the problem and run the commands as the Zimbra user. If you don't know the size then just increase it to 50MB for example. You can get the defaults for the fields by running the above commands with 'gcf' (and no parameter) instead of 'mcf'
    Phoenix,

Thanks for the swift reply.

I will try this setup and see where I get in regards to the warnings. I'm a little confused however, and does this mean that if the warnings are kept to a minimum I won't receive the deadly COM Exception?

Thanks!

Jordan Williams
    Director of Technology

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Actually the code is a MAPI_E_CALL_FAILED which is a generic error. If it gets that error and then complains about the message size make the changes I suggested and try those accounts again. If there's a further problem let us know what happens.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Actually the code is a MAPI_E_CALL_FAILED which is a generic error. If it gets that error and then complains about the message size make the changes I suggested and try those accounts again. If there's a further problem let us know what happens.
    Thank you!

I am currently attempting to migrate the problematic accounts now. I will post the results.

Also, any ideas how I can get the calendar issue to be resolved? It says to refer to Microsoft KB 899351 and I've followed that solution, but the system still gives me the error and does not transfer the calendar information. Again, it's not the most critical problem at the moment as I can use manual migration methods to transfer that data, but it would be nice to understand the root cause.

Regards,

Jordan Williams
    Director of Technology

manish is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JordanPWilliams View Post

Also, any ideas how I can get the calendar issue to be resolved? It says to refer to Microsoft KB 899351 and I've followed that solution, but the system still gives me the error and does not transfer the calendar information. Again, it's not the most critical problem at the moment as I can use manual migration methods to transfer that data, but it would be nice to understand the root cause.
    Does the Administrator (the admin account used for migration) have Send-As/Receive-As permissions on the 'Administrative Groups' or Servers or 'Mailbox Store' of the users that are getting migrated?

Are you able to migrate calendar data for any other user apart from the 2 accounts you have mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by manish View Post
    Does the Administrator (the admin account used for migration) have Send-As/Receive-As permissions on the 'Administrative Groups' or Servers or 'Mailbox Store' of the users that are getting migrated?

Are you able to migrate calendar data for any other user apart from the 2 accounts you have mentioned?
    Manish,

The administrator account being used has full access to the mailbox store in question. That should prove enough credentials for the migration tool, no?

Back to the original problem, after using the fixes that Phoenix provided, I was still hit with a barrage of Warnings and eventually the COM Exception which terminated the migration process early again.

I'm sorry to be a thorn in your sides.... I do appreciate the help. Shall I make it official and submit a support email?

Regards,

Jordan Williams
    Directory of Technology

manish is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JordanPWilliams View Post

The administrator account being used has full access to the mailbox store in question. That should prove enough credentials for the migration tool, no?
    Receive-As permissions need to be given apart from Full Access. See:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa996343.aspx

-------
    When you grant a user full access permissions to a mailbox, that user has full access to only the mailbox for which the permissions are applied. With full access permissions, the user can open and read the contents of the mailbox.

When you grant a user has Receive As permissions to a mailbox database, that user can log in to all mailboxes within that database, but is not able to send e-mail messages from those mailboxes. Also, if you grant Receive As permissions at the storage group level, the specified user can log in to all mailboxes within all databases in the storage group.
    ------

Please upload the log file for investigation.

godzilla8nj is offline Intermediate Member

Apologies for butting in, but is there anything more layman than http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa996343.aspx available? We never had cause to go this deep with Exchange and since it's live I want to make sure I don't cripple it in configuring it to play nice with the migration tool. FYI, we're on SBS 2003.
    Last edited by godzilla8nj; 07-25-2007 at 12:01 PM.

godzilla8nj is offline Intermediate Member

Additionally am having trouble using ZCSExchangeMigrationWizard-4.5.6_GA_1023 Version 4.5. Migration of large mailbox fails partially through folder import. From log:

25-07-2007 15:34:39 [7572]: Progress log is: C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ZCSExchangeMigr ationWizard-4.5.6_GA_1023\a09c6ad57aef5ad82c69fe8285010760.m2l
    25-07-2007 15:34:39 [7572]: Zimbra::MAPI::MailboxScanner::Scan. calling NamedProps::Init() using the root store folder
    25-07-2007 15:34:39 [7572]: Zimbra::Mapi::NamedProps::Init. NamedProps::Init() succeeded!
    25-07-2007 15:34:39 [7572]: Starting mid scan
    25-07-2007 15:34:39 [7572]: Clearing internal progress log entries
    25-07-2007 15:34:39 [7572]: Entries cleared
    25-07-2007 15:34:39 [7572]: Unknown exception occured, skipping to next mailbox
    25-07-2007 15:34:39 [7572]: Exception Address: 0x43a013
    25-07-2007 15:34:40 [7572]: CORE: Generated core dump: C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ZCSExchangeMigr ationWizard-4.5.6_GA_1023\ZimbraCore_07252007_153439.dmp
    25-07-2007 15:34:40 [7572]: Waiting for work
    25-07-2007 15:34:40 [7572]: Worker thread exiting

Deleting the mailbox and retrying fails at same point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information