Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: two-way icalendar sync with open source edition?

glitch23 is offline Special Member

I can't remember if this option was in 0.3.1 but in 0.5 under the Preferences section you can adjust the amount of time between calendar refreshes. I've also noticed that changing items doesn't reflect in Zimbra's calendar, hopefully the wonderful people at mozilla can make this happen soon... As far as I recall its already built into zimbra's SOAP API.

colin7151 is offline Intermediate Member

at current is there anyway to do something similar to this (read/write access with ical and the oss edition) with outlook 03 or 07 ?

Lath is offline New Member

I installed Lightning 0.5pre, and am able to send invitations. This is great!

gbr96 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by glitch23 View Post
    I can't remember if this option was in 0.3.1 but in 0.5 under the Preferences section you can adjust the amount of time between calendar refreshes. I've also noticed that changing items doesn't reflect in Zimbra's calendar, hopefully the wonderful people at mozilla can make this happen soon... As far as I recall its already built into zimbra's SOAP API.
    The refresh option for calendars shows up in Lightning 0.5. I can successfully add and modify events to my Zimbra calendar. What I can't seem do right now is delete calendar entries from Lightning. The calendar entries always reappear after the calendar auto-refreshes. I believe Lightning 0.6 (alpha) behaves this way as well.

redhat is offline Active Member

Not sure if any of this information applies to Zimbra Network Edition, but I hope it does since that's what we are running. I have a bunch of people that love Thunderbird and want to keep using it.

I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 and Lightning 0.5 and Provider for Google 0.2.1 all on Windows XP Pro.

Reading my Zimbra calendar works fine, a little slow but not too annoying. Trying to create any new events in Lightning generates an error that says:

Error number: 0x0
    Description: Publishing the calendar file failed
    Status code: 404: no such item

I selected iCalendar for the new calendar type. And I must have the correct URL since I had to log in and then Lightning shows my calendar correctly.

Doesn't writing to Zimbra require a different URL? Is there another place in Lightning to enter a URL for posting to Zimbra?
    Last edited by redhat; 06-12-2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Should mention that I'm using Zimbra Network Edition

I'm evaluating the open source edition right now but am in the same boat as you as far as having a large number of Thunderbird users. As much as I like the Zimbra web client, I imagine a large number our users will want to stay with Thunderbird, at least for the time being.

I am using Thunderbird 2.0.0, Lightning 0.5, but am NOT using the Google Provider. Not really sure how that will help me to connect to Zimbra. Anyway, like I said before, I can connect just fine to my Zimbra calendar from Lightning. I can view my calendar entries, add new entries, and modify certain aspects of existing calendar entries. It seems for some reason that I can modify the time but cannot change the day on existing calendar entries. Weird. As stated earlier, I also cannot delete calendar entries from Lightning. In both of these cases, the calendar entries revert back to what they were before when Lightning auto-refreshes or when I manually reload remote calendars.

Anyway, you are correct in that you should be using iCalendar format. The URL you enter should look something like this:

http://Address_of_Zimbra_server/serv...lendar?fmt=ics

You should be prompted for a username and password after creating the calendar. Does the URL you're using look something like the above?

redhat is offline Active Member

Now that's interesting because I'm using a URL that looks like the one in an earlier message in this thread. I have something like this:

http://mydomain.com/zimbra/home/user...lendar?fmt=ics

That's where I was getting confused because it seems that this URL is read only. But that's what people seem to be using.

I'm going to switch to your type of URL and see what happens with the Google Provider thing installed.

Here is the wiki which talks about linking to your remote Zimbra calendar using iCal:

How To Link Remote iCal Calendar - ZimbraWiki

I tried a URL similar to what you're using, and also referenced earlier in this thread, and both seem to work. I also don't seem to have any problems changing the day of a calendar event from Lightning as I previously had said. Not sure what I was doing before to make me think that. I still cannot delete calendar entries from Lightning though.

I'm still not sure why having the Google Provider extension installed is necessary. I've connected just fine without it installed with the exception that I cannot delete calendar entries from Lightning. Lightning's base extension provides for iCalendar and CalDav support - installing the Google Provider should not add anything extra to Lightning's iCalendar support. Thinking that having that installed might in fact be causing you problems, I tried installing the Google Provider extension. But, I still can connect just fine to my Zimbra calendar with this extension installed.

What version of ZCS are you on? I've had success now connecting to my Zimbra calendar from Lightning with version 4.5 and 5.0 beta. Lightning build? I'm using version 5.0, build 2007053004. I've also connected now using the URL format you've used before

http://Zimbra_server_address/zimbra/...lendar?fmt=ics

and the one I was using before

http://Zimbra_server_address/service...lendar?fmt=ics

both with the same success.

ikiini is offline Intermediate Member

I get this error quite frequently..Does anyone have any idea what this is and how do i deal with it?

There has been an error reading data for calendar: testgs. It has been placed in read-only mode, since changes to this calendar will likely result in data-loss. You may change this setting by choosing 'Edit Calendar'.

At one time i had to restart my machine because the calendar was not showing up at all. Please let me know what you guys think.

-B

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information