Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migration from Mdaemon 6.8.5

pappas.chris is offline Junior Member

Question Migration from Mdaemon 6.8.5

Hello,

Zimbra freakin rocks!! Nice job on everything, the users that are helping me test it out are totally blown away.

I am definitely ready to switch from Mdaemon (which is great but not open source!) and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good how-to.

I have read about imapsync, and I know that I have to export my account data, but I have custom mailing lists created using ODBC mySQL queries of our custom built online contact management system. Is there any way to make dynamic mailing lists in zimbra, using this information from the db?

Thanks!!
    Chris

rwc101010 is offline Active Member

Mdaemon does have an option in the admin UI to output the entire account list in a comma delimited format (including clear-text passwords), that you can use to script the recreation of user accounts on Zimbra (though the CSV file requires a bit of cleanup to remove un-neccesary entries). Alias configurations are not included in the account data, though they can be recovered as a text file from the Admin UI or the file structure. I have found no way to cleanly transfer the user calendar, though the user address books exist in the file structure as TXT or XML (depending on the version of Mdaemon you're using) which can be parsed and reformatted as a CSV for import in the Zimbra user address book (with the requisite amount of script-fu, of course) - unfortunately, Mdaemon seems to be missing an "export" option for both calendar and address books.

I've heard that the IMAPSync works well, but as I had just a few accounts (and their passwords), I was able to use an IMAP client to drag mail from one server to the other - while preserving read status and directory structures of the user mail accounts.

I'm not sure about an answer to your last question . . . I'll leave it for others to address.

If you've got specific question feel free to post them and I'll see what I can do to help.

Robert
    Last edited by rwc101010; 04-03-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Left out a section of my response - oops ;)

Default Zimbra SERIOUSLY needs mailing list tools, not just distribution lists

Thanks for the quick response, I will keep all of that in mind while migrating the user accounts. The real deal-breaker for me will be the mailing lists though, I'm not sure I can afford to move away from MDaemon until Zimbra has some serious mailing list capability. I am sure that I am not the only person who would REALLY like to see this in Zimbra.

I am willing to try setting up mailman on another mail server but this will require the use of another email for the list, and I have spent the last few years trying to teach everyone how to use the existing one. Re-training these guys is a nightmare that I'd rather not have come true.

Does anyone know whether or not this is a feature they are looking to add in a serious way? I looked at their bugzilla to try and vote for this feature, but let's just say it was a little confusing. Actually I had no freakin idea what to do or how to browse the bugs to find a suitable "feature" to vote on.

I am willing to pull my weight on this one, I'm quite a capable programmer and if pointed in the right direction I am sure I could hack something together... it would just be SO much easier/safer/popular if this could be managed and work alongside zimbra.

Thanks

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Can you define what you mean by mailing list, and distribution lists?

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific

By distribution list, I mean the lists you can create in the Zimbra administrator console, they are basically just a list of addresses that the dist. list address aliases (or forwards, or however it works) but anyone can send mail to this distribution list

By mailing list, I mean one that has an ACL (Access Control List) and prevents non-members from posting, has moderators, etc.

Mdaemon has a pretty good set of features for this, including the ability to make the mailing lists from a database query (so we can use a custom web interface to manage the lists) and I'm wondering if this is a possible direction for Zimbra! (I sure hope so because everything else is awesome)

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Gotcha.
    It's comin. Did you vote for it in the bz?

We really do take votes seriously.

where do I go to vote for this feature? I have tried searching on bugzilla for mailing list, ACL, and mailman, and I voted on the "bug" (or is it an enhancement) for integrating mailman - http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8968

Is this what you are referring to? Cause I definitely vote in favor of this feature!

mr_egypt is offline Starter Member

Default Ask about mailing List

Good Day , really i want to ask about feature in mdaemon if it exist so i need to know how to reply about the mails using the name of mail list when any one send mail to my list and i need to reply i need to show the name of the list rather than my mail so when the repl arrive to the sender it appear to him as it sent from the list name not my private mail thanks for all .

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mr_egypt View Post
    Good Day , really i want to ask about feature in mdaemon if it exist so i need to know how to reply about the mails using the name of mail list when any one send mail to my list and i need to reply i need to show the name of the list rather than my mail so when the repl arrive to the sender it appear to him as it sent from the list name not my private mail thanks for all .
    If I understand you correctly, you should look at Mail Identities in the users Option tab.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

mr_egypt is offline Starter Member

Default Dear Bill

Dear mr/Bill good day;
    1st thanks for replying me but sorry i can't find the mailing identifies in the options tab for the users i use mdaemon SMTP/POP/IMAP server: v9.5.6
    so if you have any more available options for my problem it'll be so nice thing from you thanks dear .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information