Thread: webmail and Zimbra

amicheals is offline Starter Member

Default webmail and Zimbra

Hello,

I user Apple Mail right now. Our website hosting company hosts our email. They are mainly IMAP. The question I have is, with Zimbra will I be taking over hosting our email. Will my sever take over that operation? Can I still use zimbra and have my hosting provider host my email? Also I use a mac for my client computer, but a linux server for file storage and such, which machine would I install zimbra?

rajahd is offline Special Member

Zimbra has 2 major components:

First, it's an e-mail server. In general you would only install Zimbra if you are planning to "host" your e-mail.

Second, it has an integrated web mail user interface allowing you to use your web browser instead of a locally installed e-mail application to access the e-mail on the Zimbra server. This interface works only against a Zimbra server so it's not really practical to use it to replace a front-end e-mail program by itself (i.e. if you're not planning to host any e-mail services). You can however use most e-mail clients to go against the Zimbra e-mail server just like they can go against your current e-mail host.

While it's probably not impossible, I think it would be quite a bit of work to set up a Zimbra server which is simply a "front-end" for an outside e-mail server.

Hope this helps.

amicheals is offline Starter Member

Default webmail and zimbra

Thank you very much for your response, that really cleared it up for me. We only have on server on a LAN. We only have one network card installed, would we need another network card installed for us to be able to host our email? or can it use port forwarding (from our ISP providor).

Once again thank you very much for your response.

The number of network cards isn't an issue - the computer you're installing Zimbra on simply has to be able to access the internet and probably needs to be accessible *from* the internet. For instance, if you plan on hosting your own e-mail services, other e-mail servers on the internet need to be able to find and connect to your internal e-mail server. Setting up an e-mail server can be a pretty daunting task if it's your first time. There are many other areas besides just setting up the e-mail server which come into play such as making DNS adjustments to point mail to your server.

Also, to answer a question I missed in your original post, Zimbra is specific to Linux so it needs to be installed on a supported Linux operating system. I don't think Mac OS X qualifies as a support operating system (if I'm wrong hopefully someone else will speak up and correct me). Of course you can use any web browser on your Mac to access the Zimbra web user interface on the Linux server.

Are you looking to in-source your e-mail hosting and stop paying an ISP for e-mail services? If so then Zimbra may be a good option for you. If you're simply investigating options for accessing e-mail on your ISP's server from your Mac (and other workstations) then Zimbra is probably not the right choice.

Hopefully one of the veteran Zimbra members/employees can point you to some good tutorials, walk-throughs, and how-tos.

Klug is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rajahd View Post
    I don't think Mac OS X qualifies as a support operating system (if I'm wrong hopefully someone else will speak up and correct me).
    Actually, OS X is one of the supported OSes.

Heh, yep a quick look a the install page shows OS X smack dab in the middle of the list. Guess I glossed over it the last time I was on that page.

Thread Information