Thread: Copy from Outlook Does not reflect in Webmail

akara is offline Starter Member

Default Copy from Outlook Does not reflect in Webmail

Howdy,

I have setup zimbra on a linux server, and installed the outlook connector. In my infinite wisdom, I decided to copy the emails from the PST file directly into the zimbra server (using copy and paste).

Outlook seems to see all of the emails on the zimbra server, however webmail does not see any emails or folders. The syncing process works both ways if I create emails and folders.

This is very weired. Anyone encoutered such a thing?

Klug is online now Moderator

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by akara
    I decided to copy the emails from the PST file directly into the zimbra server (using copy and paste).
    From what I read here, you did not create a brand new Outlook profile in order to use the ZCO and you are now in "strange mode".

This (not using a specific profile) is not supported and leads to strange beheviour.

You should start over, doing the things as they're "supposed" to be done : import your Outlook PST file to the server using the provided tool, then install the ZCO and create a brand new profile in Outlook (with ZCO as delivery).

Once this is done, on your first Outlook launch (with this profile selected), the ZCO will sync the content of the server (full of your previously correctly imported PST data) into the profile.

akara is offline Starter Member

Howdy...

Actually, I created a new profile within outlook, then openned up the pst file and started copying emails across.

I have noticed that zimbra thinks that the mail storage for this user is 0K aswell.

My question is where is this email stored?

I will run the import wizard and see if that works.
    Last edited by akara; 03-01-2007 at 05:53 AM. Reason: additional comments.

pss7 is offline Junior Member

I have exactly the same problem right now.

copying emails from a local .pst file to zimbra works..but they are not on the zimbra server only in the local .zdb fileset.

I tried that with another machines - with the same (bad) result.

maybe someone can reproduce the problem on his workstaton too?
    -> just copy emails from a pst file (create a pop3 account for example) and move them to teh zimbra account

copying emails from an external imap account to zimbra works via outlook - emails are also accessable via the webinterface.

copying emails from teh .pst file to the imap account an then to zimbra..works lol

zimbra server: 6.0.7_GA_2476.RHEL4 (01.com hosting server) client: outlook 2010, win7 64bit, zco: 6.0.6089.9

Outlook 2010 Import Issues [Outlook 2010 Import Issues] seems that my hunch is right - outlook user can not be sure, that there emails are really on the zimbra server
    Last edited by pss7; 01-15-2011 at 10:43 AM.

AH23 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by pss7 View Post
    I have exactly the same problem right now.

copying emails from a local .pst file to zimbra works..but they are not on the zimbra server only in the local .zdb fileset.

I tried that with another machine - with the same (bad) result.

maybe someone can reproduce the problem on his workstaton too?
    -> just copy emails from a pst file (create a pop3 account for example) and move them to teh zimbra account

copying emails from an external imap account to zimbra works via outlook - emails are also accessable via the webinterface.

copying emails from teh .pst file to the imap account an then to zimbra..works lol

zimbra server: 6.0.7_GA_2476.RHEL4 (01.com hosting server) client: outlook 2010, win7 64bit, zco: 6.0.6089.9

Outlook 2010 Import Issues [Outlook 2010 Import Issues] seems that my hunch is right - outlook user can not be sure, that there emails are really on the zimbra server
    Would it help to have a .tgz to import from? which seems to be Zimbra's native import format, I had to do the conversion from Outlook to Zimbra Desktop a couple days ago and ran face first into a wall trying to get the .pst into Zimbra Desktop. However I was able to solve the problem using these steps (have tried with outlook 2000 - 2010 and it's worked for me)

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...no-server.html

(step by step is at the bottom in an attached .doc)

Hope that's helpful

thx for the link, but it does not help, since it is a common use case to copy emails from on folder to zimbra - not just for one time migration tasks.

if the bug is real, every outlook 2010 user who copy emails from one pop3 account to zimbra will have data loss.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

That is a duplicate of this bug: Bug 51869 – Import contacts using OLK 2010 - that bug has been fixed but not gone through QA or targeted for release yet - you will be notified of updates to the bug as you're on the cc list.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

QA? you mean Quality assurance?

sorry for being ironic, but you are about 6 month late for checking the zco.

this bug will cost MANY outlook users data loss - you should release a fix immediately - not just anywhere Q1

Thread Information