Thread: Is Zimbra right for me?

mk399 is offline New Member

Default Is Zimbra right for me?

Hello there, I'm wondering if I could get some help figuring out whether Zimbra is the right solution for me/my company. We are a non profit startup looking to provide web services to other non profit charities. One idea we had for fundraising was to allow users to have custom email addresses @ whatever their local charity is. I am looking for a web based email client that would allow users to sign up for mail boxes @animalshelter.org (for example) but also allow them to check other email addresses via pop3/imap in the same web based client. Gmail just released this ability, I think. In short, we want the end users to be able to check all their emails in one place: a web based portal on our site.

I looked at the flash demos and went through the hosted demo but I'm still a little unclear - is Zimbra what I want? If so, can we use the open source edition for free? Or will we need to purchase the paid version? If Zimbra is NOT what we want, then could someone kindly point me in the right direction?

I appreciate any help & advice - thank you!

inigoml is offline Project Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mk399 View Post
    I looked at the flash demos and went through the hosted demo but I'm still a little unclear - is Zimbra what I want? If so, can we use the open source edition for free? Or will we need to purchase the paid version? If Zimbra is NOT what we want, then could someone kindly point me in the right direction?
    I appreciate any help & advice - thank you!
    Yes, it' is.
    Zimbra supports several domains in same server, with users distributed across different domains (or having the same account with several domains suffix).
    In 4.5 version (last one), a POP3/IMAP4 aggregator has been included, so you can download your message from others servers in your own account. Moreover, an identity profile system has been include, so you can send an email from differents accounts from your main zimbra account.
    Both OSS and NE editions have this functionalities enabled. I recommend NE edition because it has more functions enabled (searching INSIDE attachments is GREAT), and zimbra support is recommended (although not imperative since these forums are excellent)
    http://www.zimbra.com/products/product_editions.html.

I think that license pricing for a charity organization will be very competitive. Contact with zimbra sales support.

Anyway, OSS version will be fit your requirements.

mk399 is offline New Member

Thanks for that great answer! I don't know if you work for Zimbra or not, but if not, they are lucky to have you on the forums!

I will contact Zimbra and see what their basic pricing for us would be. However, I doubt we could afford even $5 per user per month... in which case, since the software is open source, we can try to add in some of our own features, right? (Like the "advertising" feature where it shows a user a banner ad, which doesn't seem to be in the free version.) If so, are there hourly consultants we can pay, who are familiar with the Zimbra code? (And where would I find them?).

inigoml is offline Project Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mk399 View Post
    ...software is open source, we can try to add in some of our own features, right? (Like the "advertising" feature where it shows a user a banner ad, which doesn't seem to be in the free version.) If so, are there hourly consultants we can pay, who are familiar with the Zimbra code? (And where would I find them?).
    I suppose there will be no problem modifying OSS version. However I've not read Zimbra license for OSS, so I'm not the right person to response.
    You will not have any problem installing OSS version. However, I'm not sure if modify code with consultants will be affordable... usually price per hour is quite expensive, and the profile required to work with Ajax technologies is not cheap since it's a new tech.
    Try OSS version. I think there is an VMWare image available, so you will not need to install anything but WMware server (free for download).

Thread Information