Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Zimbra have a few questions

tom11011 is offline Member

Default New to Zimbra have a few questions

Hi Group,

I'm new to Zimbra and have a few questions. We are a service provider and have been using Qmail for a long time now. We are looking to move beyond it because of the lack of a web front end other than squirrel mail.

1.) Is the Zimbra Open Source product suited to the service provider customer? We have many customers, each with their own domain.

2.) Do users login with email address or username? I ask because it is possible there are users with potentially the same username under different domains (aka sales@domain1.com and sales@domain2.com) etc..

3.) Besides general LDAP support, is there any other included support/features in the open source version for droid/iphone ?

4.) MS Outlook is supported on the desktop right?

5.) Any shared calendaring functions in the Open source product.

Thanks!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You caould have got all these answer from the forums and Documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
    1.) Is the Zimbra Open Source product suited to the service provider customer?
    Yes.

We have many customers, each with their own domain.
    You can have as many domains as you like.

2.) Do users login with email address or username? I ask because it is possible there are users with potentially the same username under different domains (aka sales@domain1.com and sales@domain2.com) etc..
    The user name (for the primary domain on your server) and the fulle username@somedomain.com for others - you can also force the primary domain to use that format.

3.) Besides general LDAP support, is there any other included support/features in the open source version for droid/iphone ?
    What the significane of your question about openLDAP? You can use any client that supports IMAP with the open source version.

4.) MS Outlook is supported on the desktop right?
    Yes, as an IMAP client. You could also use Zimbra Desktop.

5.) Any shared calendaring functions in the Open source product.
    Yes, exactly the same as there is in the Network Edition.

Do take a look at the Product Documentation and the forums/wiki/blog to see what features are in the product versions and whether they would meet your needs.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I will, thanks Bill.

I will, thanks Bill.
    Hey Bill (or other knowledgeable person)

I installed the open source version of the product this weekend to give a test. I haven't worked with IMAP/SMTP in a while as we use exchange alot.

I'm figuring out though that just about every ISP is now blocking port 25 for smtp. I couldn't use my MS Outlook on the desktop at all as a result and was forced into the web application which is ok.

However, I'm running into the same issue on my android based smart phone, no email for droid either? I'm thinking you must have a solution like Microsofts RPC over HTTP with active sync like ability hopefully to make this trial work.

I'm figuring out though that just about every ISP is now blocking port 25 for smtp.
    You'd have to use a service that relays mail to your server via port 587 (the Submission port), you can also use that port for any client that needs to submit mail to the server (or for relay) - that port requires authentication.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You'd have to use a service that relays mail to your server via port 587 (the Submission port), you can also use that port for any client that needs to submit mail to the server (or for relay) - that port requires authentication.
    Can you recommend such a service? Other than opening up port 587 on the firewall, is there any other configuration on zimbra needed?

Can you recommend such a service?
    I'm afraid I have never used any of those services so I'm reluctant to recommend any one over another but I seem to remember that DynDNS offered that sort of service (I have used them for DNS services). There might be some recommendations in the forums or there's always a web search

Other than opening up port 587 on the firewall, is there any other configuration on zimbra needed?
    No, nothing else would be needed. Are you absolutely sure that port 25 inbound is blocked? If it's just the outbound port 25 then you could relay through any mail server (such as gmail or your ISP).
    Regards

Bill

Yes, I'm actually looking at that right now. The built in app on the droid doesn't seem to allow a smtp username/password combo that is different for both imap and smtp which is a problem as my gmail has a different login than my zimbra email.

I appreciate your help though, hopefully zimbra will have something like active sync or exchange rpc over http in the future, I'll keep my eye on zimbra as it matures.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I'm afraid I have never used any of those services so I'm reluctant to recommend any one over another but I seem to remember that DynDNS offered that sort of service (I have used them for DNS services). There might be some recommendations in the forums or there's always a web search

No, nothing else would be needed. Are you absolutely sure that port 25 inbound is blocked? If it's just the outbound port 25 then you could relay through any mail server (such as gmail or your ISP).

I appreciate your help though, hopefully zimbra will have something like active sync or exchange rpc over http in the future
    Are you talking about the Open Source or Network Edition of Zimbra? The NE version has the ability to synchronise outlook & smartphones with ZCS the open source version does not.
    Regards

Bill

axiomcrs is offline Intermediate Member

Do you know if the trial version of Zimbra NE allows for mobile access, both iphone and android?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information