Thread: Split Domain Not Needed?

chainsaw is offline Intermediate Member

Default Split Domain Not Needed?

I have read through the split domain article which for me seems to be overkill for my environment. Here is what I want to do:

1. Bring up new ZCS Network addition in the same domain as current mail server, set the MX to a lower priority.

2. Create a few mail accounts that do not reside on the primary mail server for testing purposes. It is my understanding that if an account does not exist on the primary MX mail server in a single domain, delivery will be passed along and attempted to the secondary MX server. Am I correct in this assumption of how MX's work? If this is true, I can effectively test the new Zimbra server fully for a period of time while the original mail server is still in production. This is really my biggest question.

3. After I am satisfied with test results. I plan to lower TTL on public MX records to something like a minute.

4. I will then create all accounts on the Zimbra server to match the original mail server.

5. Make DNS changes after business hours one evening.

6. Point everyone's mail client settings to the new server the next morning.

Our environment consists of less than 30 users and is currently using a POP3 mail server is my reasoning for this method. Of course, I will need to follow up with each user and import the local .pst files into Zimbra after migration. What am I missing here? Any gotcha's that will get me? Thanks in advance.

soxfan is offline Moderator

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but what you've stated is not my understanding of how MX records work. I believe a sending server will check to see if the server with the higher priority is up and running, and if it is it will attempt to deliver the message there. Only if the primary / higher priority server is down / unreachable will it attempt to go to the lower priority server. There is no checking to see if the user exists. Also note, that a lower number indicates a higher priority; ie an MX record with a 10 has a higher priority than an MX record of 20.

chainsaw is offline Intermediate Member

Thanks for the reply. You may well be correct about that aspect of how MX's work. I will know soon enough as I am almost finished with my Zimbra build, and yes I did give it a priority of 20 with my production server having a priority of 10. If my theoretical plan mentioned above fails, any other creative ideas of testing the secondary server, specifically receiving from external sources, before I migrate? I suppose I can schedule an hour or so down time, shutdown the production mail server, run a series of tests on the new Zimbra server to ensure everything works.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    If my theoretical plan mentioned above fails,
    It will, for the reasons that soxfan stated.

...any other creative ideas of testing the secondary server,
    It's been mentioned before in your other thread: Split Domain.

......specifically receiving from external sources, before I migrate?
    There's no problems receiving mail from external sources or are you talking about the External Accounts feature?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information