Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions on migration

chr00t is offline Member

Default questions on migration

Hello all, I have Release 7.1.4_GA_2555.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 NETWORK edition. We are currently taking over IT from another company who has an exchange server offsite (not sure of version). I asked them to setup an account for me that has access to all email accounts from the clients domain which they did. I'm planning on using the migration assistant, but I'm not sure what access I will need to their server. They are also asking what protocol I will be using for the transfer. I read your guide and I dont see any of my questions answered. Would greatly appreciate some help as I'm new to zimbra

LowPass is offline Active Member

Hello

This document is preatty straightforward on how to set up a exchange to zimbra migration..
    You will need an account with full administration access to the exchange server, a dedicated MAPI profile and the migration is carried on through MAPI protocol.
    See ya,
    Mike

chr00t is offline Member

Thanks LowPass. The exchange server which is offsite and hosted by the old IT provider has several domains for other customers, so I doubt they will give me full administration access to the exchange server. The account they created has access to all email accounts for the clients domain however. Do you think this will work? I have full admin access to our new local AD domain.

Hello chr00t,

I think it will work, but I've never been in such situation as I always been given full control of the exchange servers when migrating, I suggest you to give a try to the Exchange migration wizard but keep yourself open to a "backup" migration option (like imapsync).
    See ya,
    Mike

chr00t is offline Member

When you say imapsync, are you meaning in the migration wizard, select "MS Exchange IMAP server"?

Hello chr00t,

I actually mean Imapsync: an IMAP migration tool ( release 1.488 ), you can find a guide in the Zimbra Wiki: Guide to imapsync - Zimbra :: Wiki

The downside of this method is that you need all user passwords and IMAP access to the server for it to work.
    See ya,
    Mike

chr00t is offline Member

Ill try that & let you know. Thanks!

chr00t is offline Member

They have set me up with 1 email account that has access to all the others. Is there a way I can logon as my account to pull all the others down with imapsync?

Yes, you can use the --authuser1 switch to specify the administrator userid and --password1 for the password

e.g.:
    Code:
    imapsync --dry --host1 exchange.exmaple.com --user1 user@example.com --authuser1 ExchangeAdminAccount --password1 AdminPass123 --host2 zimbra.example.com --user2 user@example.com --authuser2 zimbraAdmin@example.com --password2 ZimbraAdminPass123 --justlogin
    this command will allow you to perform a login test without touching the actual data.

I also suggest to redirect stdout and stderr to different files in order so better see if any problem arises.
    See ya,
    Mike

chr00t is offline Member

Sweet, thanks Mike! I'll try that out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information