Thread: Hosted Service to onsite Zimbra

Sylvester20007.com is offline Junior Member

Default Hosted Service to onsite Zimbra

Hello,

Since this is my first post on your forum I would like to take a line or two as to say Hi and thanks for any help anyone can offer. I come from a background of windows servers and have been only working with linux for about 1 year from beginner to where I am now which I think is not bad progress as I migrated 12 Linux servers from P2V using nothing but terminal.

I am now trying to move our company away from hostgator hosting our emails and insted using Zimbra as I prefer it over Exchange in this enviroment. I am however suffering a bit with this task as I cant get my head around some of the concepts.

I need some guidence and would apreceate any help I can get. Ill detail where I am at.

Installed and configured Zimbra on a new CentOS 6.1 Linux VM.
    thats it.......

I am now trying to get my head around mx records and A records. I am lost compleatly.

This is what I want to accomplish.
    I have a website site at www.sylvester20007.com I need this to remain active along with the FTP sites and all that stuff, at the same time I want the emails that go to @sylvester20007.com to go to my onsite zimbra server.

I have not done anything on my linux CentOS DNS server regarding the config as I cant get my head around what im ment to do with it in the first place or if ment to do anything to it to start with.

I have not changed anything in terms of firewalls yet.

I need to know what I need to change where on my network to get this going.

I'm sorry to have gone on a bit, just needed to make sure I was making some kind of sence.

In advance I apreceate any help anyone can offer to get my brain working in the right direction, I'm quite sharp so I'll pick up what your saying very quickly with little or no effort.

Kind Regards

Jevon

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

This has been covered many times in these forums and there's a wiki article about it. If you're behind a NAT router (or firewall) you will need a Split DNS set-up, it's fairly straightforward to configure just follow the instructions and then check it with all the commands in the 'Verify...' section of that article. If you're not behind a NAT router or firewall that article will give you the information on what's necessary for your Public DNS server record configuration with the obvious change of using the Public IP rather than a private LAN IP.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    This has been covered many times in these forums and there's a wiki article about it. If you're behind a NAT router (or firewall) you will need a Split DNS set-up, it's fairly straightforward to configure just follow the instructions and then check it with all the commands in the 'Verify...' section of that article. If you're not behind a NAT router or firewall that article will give you the information on what's necessary for your Public DNS server record configuration with the obvious change of using the Public IP rather than a private LAN IP.
    Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the reply, I did have a search but couldnt find the right phrase to search with, where can I find the Wiki?

Many Thanks

Jevon

I've given you a link to the article in my previous post and the link to the wiki is at the top of this page.
    Regards

Bill

Ok,

I am affraid I dont understand the concept of this split DNS and why its relivent to me, would ou be so kind as to say in laimans terms?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester20007.com View Post
    I am affraid I dont understand the concept of this split DNS and why its relivent to me, would ou be so kind as to say in laimans terms?
    I thought I'd also explained that in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    If you're behind a NAT router (or firewall) you will need a Split DNS set-up, it's fairly straightforward to configure just follow the instructions and then check it with all the commands in the 'Verify...' section of that article. If you're not behind a NAT router or firewall that article will give you the information on what's necessary for your Public DNS server record configuration with the obvious change of using the Public IP rather than a private LAN IP.
    That article (and my comments) describes what's necessary for DNS A & MX records for a mail server.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information