Thread: Migration From Novell OpenExchange 4.1

stevenjo57 is offline Member

Default Migration From Novell OpenExchange 4.1

We are currently operating with Novell's OpenExchange collaboration suite OpenExchange 4.1.

I am considering testing Zimbra, but two things are making me hesitate.

1) How do we migrate our existing email in OpenExchange to Zimbra? I'm not overly concerned about calendar and files, but I have to find an easy way to migrate the email.

2) We have several hundred "global" or "Universal" email folders that allow our employees to save email in. This means we can put all emails involving a client into one folder. I have seen it mentioned that Zimbra does have "shared email" but I was wondering how that worked.

I suppose we could just make a universal user, much like Cyrus in OpenExchange, and then share it to everyone that needs it.

Thanks for your help.

Klug is offline Moderator

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenjo57
    1) How do we migrate our existing email in OpenExchange to Zimbra? I'm not overly concerned about calendar and files, but I have to find an easy way to migrate the email.
    Email is the easiest (I thinkg), using imapsync.
    For calendars, you might have to use ics import/export (I have not tested that at all, I don't know how it works).

2) We have several hundred "global" or "Universal" email folders that allow our employees to save email in. This means we can put all emails involving a client into one folder. I have seen it mentioned that Zimbra does have "shared email" but I was wondering how that worked.
    AFAIK, "shared email" is only available in the ZCO (Outlook Connector) for the moment and should be available soon to the WebUI.

I suppose we could just make a universal user, much like Cyrus in OpenExchange, and then share it to everyone that needs it.
    It might work. Which client (WebUI, Outlook other) do you plan to be using ?

stevenjo57 is offline Member

Thank you for your prompt reply.

We use Thunderbird as an email client. The "shared folders" can be subscribed to because we create them using Cyrus on OpenExchange and give others the right to subscribe.

Users simply create an IMAP Thunderbird account and after logging in, the folders we're allow to access magically appear.

The email in OpenExchange has nothing to do with Microsoft or Outlook or Outlook exchange. I think they're simply *.eml files in directories?

As for Thunderbird, I might be willing to scrap it, because the interface for Zimbra, with its AJAX qualities is much better than most web interfaces.

Thanks!

Thread Information