Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Outlook 2010 connector issues

  1. #1
    MACscr is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Outlook 2010 connector issues

    Running the outlook connector on Windows 7 Pro 64bit and office 2010 32bit with the 32bit outlook connector. Zimbra server is offsite at a datacenter.

    1) how can i disable error reporting emails that are titled "Local Failure Notice" from appearing to users? I would prefer that it either just appear in a log on the server or emailed to the server admin.

    2) it seems that a lot of integration options arent showing in Outlook. No zimbra share options when right clicking on a calendar or contacts list, etc.

    3) probably more a migration issue, but many imported calendar items just say Busy and no longer say the the subject of the actual event.

    4) Ever noticed that the outlook zimbra connector takes up a lot of bandwidth even way after the imports have been completed? I am not 100% on this, but the small offices internet appears to be extremely slow (almost unusable at times) the same day i switched them to zimbra from imap/pop3.

    Thanks for your time, I sincerely appreciate any ideas/solutions.

  2. #2
    MACscr is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Actually it looks like the initial syncs are still happening. If i stopped outlook on all the systems for a few days, then simply loaded the pst files on the zimbra server, then loaded the pst's through a local browser, would outlook stop trying to sync those files because they are already there? They have about 10GB to 12GB of total pst files and their upload speed is only 768kbps, so its literally going to crawl for over a week or two. Definitely have to find a solution.

  3. #3
    fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,334
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    If you don't want Local failures to go to the inbox, on the Zimbra tab in Oultook 2010, click the Error Reports dropdown, and change from Save in inbox to Save in Conflicts folder.

    For sharing, we have our own way. Right click on the folder, choose Properties, and then the Sharing tab.

    Are the imported calendar items private?

    As for bandwidth, a lot of times those are server issues, and not necessarily the Outlook connector. Here's a wiki article on ZCO performance:

    ZCS Connector for Outlook Performance - Zimbra :: Wiki

  4. #4
    MACscr is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    If you don't want Local failures to go to the inbox, on the Zimbra tab in Oultook 2010, click the Error Reports dropdown, and change from Save in inbox to Save in Conflicts folder.

    For sharing, we have our own way. Right click on the folder, choose Properties, and then the Sharing tab.

    Are the imported calendar items private?

    As for bandwidth, a lot of times those are server issues, and not necessarily the Outlook connector. Here's a wiki article on ZCO performance:

    ZCS Connector for Outlook Performance - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Thanks for the response, but as mentioned, I dont want the errors to go to the user at all and I just wanted them to go to the server admin or a server log. End users dont need to be aware of errors they cant even interpret.

    None of the imported calendar items should have been private. Why would that make a difference though? If they were imported and marked as private, the end user should be able to see them, right?

    As far as bandwidth, i laid out exactly what the problem is (obviously at 80KB/s, its going to take weeks to do 12GB of data). Can you please check out my second post in this thread? Thats really what i need to figure out now.

  5. #5
    fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,334
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    1. Right now, we only have the choice of sending Local Failures to either the Inbox or the Sync Issues folders. There was a bug (39711) with a similar request, but it was closed as not committed. If you scream loudly enough, perhaps we can implement the feature.

    2. I mentioned private because for delegate calendar syncs, private messages show up with just the appt time, but no subject. But you're right -- for regular initial syncs of the primary store, this is not an issue. You're right that it's probably a migration issue. If you have a migration log, we could take a look. Not sure what is going on there.

    3. As for slow initial syncs, I wouldn't mess around with loading psts in a browser, etc. It might work initially, but you could get into trouble with sync tokens, etc. Do you really need all the data synced? Have you considered archiving, or moving some of it (that you wouldn't want synced) to .pst files?

    We do have a download header only feature (in profile configuration) that would speed up initial syncs by not downloading the message data. Later when you open a message, you would see the data. We don't generally recommend that, but we do in cases of slow download speeds, and 768 kbps certainly qualifies. Also, here's a note from a wiki concerning the subject:

    Note: If you are running McAfee® Security On-Delivery E-mail Scanner feature, the initial sync is very slow. We recommend that this option be turned off for the initial sync with the Zimbra server.

    I assume this is just an initial sync without delegates right now. Delegate syncs can be very slow (calendars especially). There are registry settings for that to limit the amount of data.

  6. #6
    MACscr is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    1. Right now, we only have the choice of sending Local Failures to either the Inbox or the Sync Issues folders. There was a bug (39711) with a similar request, but it was closed as not committed. If you scream loudly enough, perhaps we can implement the feature.

    2. I mentioned private because for delegate calendar syncs, private messages show up with just the appt time, but no subject. But you're right -- for regular initial syncs of the primary store, this is not an issue. You're right that it's probably a migration issue. If you have a migration log, we could take a look. Not sure what is going on there.

    3. As for slow initial syncs, I wouldn't mess around with loading psts in a browser, etc. It might work initially, but you could get into trouble with sync tokens, etc. Do you really need all the data synced? Have you considered archiving, or moving some of it (that you wouldn't want synced) to .pst files?

    We do have a download header only feature (in profile configuration) that would speed up initial syncs by not downloading the message data. Later when you open a message, you would see the data. We don't generally recommend that, but we do in cases of slow download speeds, and 768 kbps certainly qualifies. Also, here's a note from a wiki concerning the subject:

    Note: If you are running McAfee® Security On-Delivery E-mail Scanner feature, the initial sync is very slow. We recommend that this option be turned off for the initial sync with the Zimbra server.

    I assume this is just an initial sync without delegates right now. Delegate syncs can be very slow (calendars especially). There are registry settings for that to limit the amount of data.
    2) Its not really a migration issue, its an upload/import issue. The pst file was simply imported into outlook on the zimbra profile.

    3) Yes, all data is needed. 3GB is not a lot of data (this is one account for example)

    The issues are all about uploading the data from outlook to zimbra, not downloading it. So headers only wont help as thats really for receiving email. Im not sure what delegate syncs your talking about. And no virus scanner is involved in this process (server or client side) as the email virus scanner is on our external mail gateways that are only used for incoming email.

    Why do you think importing the pst's through webmail that is on the same LAN as the zimbra server would not work? Also, would it create duplicates or is there an option to not import duplicates when doing the import through zimbra webmail? Is there a cli option for doing the imports? That would definitely be easier.

    Thanks for your time, i really appreciate the help. i definitely need to get this resolved asap. Thanks!

  7. #7
    fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,334
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I thought you were talking about initial syncs being slow ("Actually it looks like the initial syncs are still happening"). That's a one way download from Zimbra to Outlook. No upload from Outlook to Zimbra happens during an initial sync. So is the issue with download or upload?

    3GB of data is fairly reasonable, but you said they had 12 GB ("obviously at 80KB/s, its going to take weeks to do 12GB of data"), which although not unheard of, will take some time. I'm not sure what you expect at 80kb for that amount of data.

    I don't know what you mean when you say: "The pst file was simply imported into outlook on the zimbra profile". And what does "importing the pst's through webmail" mean? Using the Import/Export utility and using a .pst file? Sounds kind of bizarre. What about using the PST import wizard? That does have an option to ignore duplicates.

    I guess I'm not sure exactly what you're doing. How are you originally getting the data in your server? [I would think the normal case is to use the .pst import wizard to get your data into the Zimbra server, then create ZCS Outlook profiles, and initial sync down to ZCO.]

  8. #8
    MACscr is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    I thought you were talking about initial syncs being slow ("Actually it looks like the initial syncs are still happening"). That's a one way download from Zimbra to Outlook. No upload from Outlook to Zimbra happens during an initial sync. So is the issue with download or upload?

    3GB of data is fairly reasonable, but you said they had 12 GB ("obviously at 80KB/s, its going to take weeks to do 12GB of data"), which although not unheard of, will take some time. I'm not sure what you expect at 80kb for that amount of data.

    I don't know what you mean when you say: "The pst file was simply imported into outlook on the zimbra profile". And what does "importing the pst's through webmail" mean? Using the Import/Export utility and using a .pst file? Sounds kind of bizarre. What about using the PST import wizard? That does have an option to ignore duplicates.

    I guess I'm not sure exactly what you're doing. How are you originally getting the data in your server? [I would think the normal case is to use the .pst import wizard to get your data into the Zimbra server, then create ZCS Outlook profiles, and initial sync down to ZCO.]
    oh, im not blaming Zimbra at all for the slow upload speeds. I am just looking for a solution to get around the issue. The issue is just with upload.

    I dont really see the benefit of using the zimbra pst importer unless someone was only doing webmail. With outlook, you simply install the connector, configure the profile, then go into File -> Open -> Import and select the pst file. Then simply choose where you want to import it and to not include duplicates, etc. Its pretty simple. Ive done it many times in the past without issues. I dont really see any benefits to using the Zimbra import pst tool to be honest unless it has some sort of throttling option.

    Ah, i thought there was a web based interface for uploading PST's as well, but im not seeing it. Shoot! I dont have any windows systems at the datacenter where i keep the zimbra server, so i cant really use the import tool from there. Is there a CLI option or something that would work with linux?

  9. #9
    fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,334
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Why go through all this PST stuff? Why wouldn't you just create a Zimbra Collaboration Server profile in Outlook (using the Zimbra Outlook Connector), and just sync normally? Do you not have ZCO?

  10. #10
    MACscr is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    Why go through all this PST stuff? Why wouldn't you just create a Zimbra Collaboration Server profile in Outlook (using the Zimbra Outlook Connector), and just sync normally? Do you not have ZCO?
    Huh? Zimbra NE is ZCO, right? When you install the Outlook connector, it creates a new profile in Outlook, thus non of the existing pop3 email is available, nor the contacts/calendars. Thus they have to be imported one way or another to the server one way or another the first time. LOL, i really dont understand all the confusion here.

    Simple and easy explanation:

    Clients internet upload speed it so slow for intitial upload of PST's, thus need a way to be able to upload them directly from the server or another linux system. Since the pst importer is windows only, thats not an option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 02:36 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
  3. Local signatures files deleteed/rewrites, Outlook 2010, Zimbra 7, ZCO 7
    By ArnisJ in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 04:59 AM
  4. ZOC With Outlook 2010 not syncing contacts/cal
    By cmajkrzak in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
  5. Outlook 2010 (32bit) not syncing
    By rayb2001 in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •