Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outlook 2010 connector issues

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

Yes -- Zimbra NE has ZCO.

Here were your 2 original statements:

= = =
    3) probably more a migration issue, but many imported calendar items just say Busy and no longer say the the subject of the actual event.

4) Ever noticed that the outlook zimbra connector takes up a lot of bandwidth even way after the imports have been completed? I am not 100% on this, but the small offices internet appears to be extremely slow (almost unusable at times) the same day i switched them to zimbra from imap/pop3.
    = = =

LOL, the reason for the confusion is that nowhere in there was a complete explanation of what you were doing.

"Migration" is a broad term, and I take it generally to mean you used a wizard and got all your data, contacts and calendar included, into our server.

"Imports" is a broad term -- the data could have come from anywhere, but as our tools are called Import wizards, I assumed the same thing I assumed with the first statement.

"After the imports have been completed" means that you are now using ZCO, and syncing both ways.

You also mentioned "initial syncs were still happening", indicating the initial download from the Zimbra server. I didn't understand that you were doing this in a two step process. LOL.

Anyway, if it were me, I would forget the PST stuff, and find a way to import your contact and calendar data into the server. As you say:

"When you install the Outlook connector, it creates a new profile in Outlook, thus non of the existing pop3 email is available."

So why not get it into the Zimbra server before you even deal with Outlook? The Zimbra server (web client) has an import/export utility. You can import comma separated files into Contacts, and .ics files into calendar. Is there a way to get your existing data into those formats (.csv for contacts, .ics for calendar), import into the server via the web client (or rest or curl or something), and afterwards, just sync to Outlook via your normal ZCO profile? Then you're just doing downloads, not uploads.

MACscr is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    Yes -- Zimbra NE has ZCO.

Here were your 2 original statements:

= = =
    3) probably more a migration issue, but many imported calendar items just say Busy and no longer say the the subject of the actual event.

4) Ever noticed that the outlook zimbra connector takes up a lot of bandwidth even way after the imports have been completed? I am not 100% on this, but the small offices internet appears to be extremely slow (almost unusable at times) the same day i switched them to zimbra from imap/pop3.
    = = =

LOL, the reason for the confusion is that nowhere in there was a complete explanation of what you were doing.

"Migration" is a broad term, and I take it generally to mean you used a wizard and got all your data, contacts and calendar included, into our server.

"Imports" is a broad term -- the data could have come from anywhere, but as our tools are called Import wizards, I assumed the same thing I assumed with the first statement.

"After the imports have been completed" means that you are now using ZCO, and syncing both ways.

You also mentioned "initial syncs were still happening", indicating the initial download from the Zimbra server. I didn't understand that you were doing this in a two step process. LOL.

Anyway, if it were me, I would forget the PST stuff, and find a way to import your contact and calendar data into the server. As you say:

"When you install the Outlook connector, it creates a new profile in Outlook, thus non of the existing pop3 email is available."

So why not get it into the Zimbra server before you even deal with Outlook? The Zimbra server (web client) has an import/export utility. You can import comma separated files into Contacts, and .ics files into calendar. Is there a way to get your existing data into those formats (.csv for contacts, .ics for calendar), import into the server via the web client (or rest or curl or something), and afterwards, just sync to Outlook via your normal ZCO profile? Then you're just doing downloads, not uploads.
    Sorry, i thought i had clarified in the second post that the syncing of data was still happening. Syncing is typically two way. But i could see where you might get confused on that.

Getting the calendar/contacts "imported" from the PST's isnt the issue. Its importing all the email from the PST's. As mentioned, they were from pop3 access, so no email was still on the old server and was not able to be migrated from server to server, thus my only option is to upload it. Not having the old email on the zimbra server is not an option.

Thanks for your patience and help on this issue.

Getting out of my league on this, but did you check:

Mail Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki

I know we have IMAPSync. I suppose you could go from POP3 to IMAP, and then use IMAPSync. Kind of messy, I guess.

There is a migration forum where there is probably more info on this. Or you could just look around for better ways to get POP3 mail into Zimbra.

Ideally, it would be great to get everything on the server, and then not have to mess with the slow upload speeds from .PSTs to Zimbra.

imapsync is obviously for server to server and all the rest of the migration wiki's are really about that as well. I definitely did research before posting here. So unless there is a CLI option on the zimbra server or a webgui option on the server, i think my only solution is to get a windows system to a faster upload speed and then individually upload each pst through the pst importer app. Pain in the rear for sure.

Yes -- sounds like a pain in the rear. But you might try the Migration forum. I'm sure others have faced the same issues, and there are people more qualified than myself to give you an answer you are looking for. Sorry I couldn't help more.

One last thing. You did say:

"I dont really see any benefits to using the Zimbra import pst tool to be honest unless it has some sort of throttling option."

The benefit is that you import the data right into the Zimbra server, and then ZCO automatically syncs the stuff down to Outlook. So there are no uploads. I think that's what most people do.

Well obviously when importing things into outlook, it simply uploads it to the zimbra server as well, but then doesnt have to download it back to outlook since its already there.

Could you by chance move this thread to the migrations forum?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information