Thread: Changing from Debian to Ubuntu

loupy is offline Member

Default Changing from Debian to Ubuntu

I currently have OSS 4.0.2 debian running on my Ubuntu system. Is it possible to just do an upgrade to the real Ubuntu version? Or would I need to uninstall/install - If so, what are the data directories I need to save?
    Last edited by loupy; 10-09-2006 at 08:30 AM.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Search the forums on how to backup.

3RiversTechAdmin is offline Special Member

Default debian -> ubuntu

I had been using the debian ver on ubuntu (i had to repack the .deb control and .sh script files to reflect differently named dependancies) and I decied to try out the ubuntu version. Bad idea, it was completely broke. I switched back to my modifed debian version on my dev box and all is well again.

loupy is offline Member

Thanks 3RiversTechAdmin, for letting me know there are possibly issues. I appreciate your helpful insight. I'll stick with the debian version for now.

Wannabetenor - I did search the forums (and google), and I saw quite a lot of info for backing up and restoring to the same distribution - but that was not my question and therefore the answers were irrelevant. My questions were: Can I simply update from Debian to Ubuntu? and if so are there specific backups related to that? Neither of which are answered in the forums.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by loupy
    My questions were: Can I simply update from Debian to Ubuntu? and if so are there specific backups related to that? Neither of which are answered in the forums.
    That specific question isn't answered but there are threads about moving from one o/s to another or backing-up the system and restoring it on another machine, that information would apply to you.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

loupy is offline Member

Phoenix - Unfortunately I only have one box right now, so I'll wait until another box is available and do a migration. Until then I'll just leave it as is.

Thanks for your help.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

My point was that you should find what you need in the forums, either moving to different hardware or changing operating systems on the same hardware - those subjects have been covered in the forums before.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by loupy
    Wannabetenor - I did search the forums (and google), and I saw quite a lot of info for backing up and restoring to the same distribution - but that was not my question and therefore the answers were irrelevant. My questions were: Can I simply update from Debian to Ubuntu? and if so are there specific backups related to that? Neither of which are answered in the forums.
    Thanks for pointing out that my answers were irrelevant.
    As I recall, your post title was: "Changing from Debian to Ubuntu"

My point was that if you back up the folder, install unbuntu fresh, that you will have the best chance at success.

This topic is covered extensivly.

neilmc is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by wannabetenor
    My point was that if you back up the folder, install unbuntu fresh, that you will have the best chance at success.
    Yep, should work fine.

Maybe a bit like the shift we did from debian OS to CENTOS about a week ago.

I shut down Zimbra, backed up /opt/zimbra

Pulled the hard drive from the machine & connected a new one (could plug the orig. drive back in if I needed to get back to where I started quickly)

Installed CENTOS. Made sure that my hosts file was the same as the old setup and the IP address was the same. Installed the CENTOS version (well the RHEL installer) of 4.02 as a fresh install.

Shut down Zimbra again and restored my backup of /opt/zimbra.

Ran the RHEL installer again but chose upgrade this time. It detected that the db in /opt/zimbra was using an old schema and upgraded it (wasn't just an OS change for us but also a version change). It probably upgraded a lot of other things as well.

At the end it started up and is working nicely.

robbyt is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by neilmc
    Yep, should work fine.

Maybe a bit like the shift we did from debian OS to CENTOS about a week ago.

I shut down Zimbra, backed up /opt/zimbra

Pulled the hard drive from the machine & connected a new one (could plug the orig. drive back in if I needed to get back to where I started quickly)

Installed CENTOS. Made sure that my hosts file was the same as the old setup and the IP address was the same. Installed the CENTOS version (well the RHEL installer) of 4.02 as a fresh install.

Shut down Zimbra again and restored my backup of /opt/zimbra.

Ran the RHEL installer again but chose upgrade this time. It detected that the db in /opt/zimbra was using an old schema and upgraded it (wasn't just an OS change for us but also a version change). It probably upgraded a lot of other things as well.

At the end it started up and is working nicely.
    cheers!
    we're planning on moving from debian to RHEL4/64 soon. glad that it's as easy as this.

thanks for this information!

Thread Information