Thread: PST Import Fails

In_The_Ville is offline Special Member

Default PST Import Fails

Help! I'm trying repeatedly (and failing) to import a PST file into ZCS 7.

The PC is Windows 7, and it is Outlook 2010.

The error message is as follows:

Error while importing PST C:\Users\Joe\Documents\Outlook Files\joe@xxxx.com.pst: COM Exception. Source : Microsoft Outlook Exception occurred.

Log file is attached.

LMStone is offline Moderator

We use the following technique for performing PST imports:
    1. Use a dedicated, plain Win7-Outlook 2010 virtual machine with a clean profile.
    2. Run scanpst on the file to be imported as many times as it takes to get an error-free run.
    3. Make the registry changes required to increase the maximum size of attachments to match that set on your Zimbra server.
    4. Make the registry changes required to increase the number of errors the PST importer will tolerate before failing and stopping the import.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

In_The_Ville is offline Special Member

What I ended up doing was exporting all of the info to a .PST file and transferred it to another machine, Windows 7 also, but Outlook 2007, and the import worked fine.

Go figure.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by In_The_Ville View Post
    What I ended up doing was exporting all of the info to a .PST file and transferred it to another machine, Windows 7 also, but Outlook 2007, and the import worked fine.

Go figure.
    Different profile!

I confess I don't spend any time trying to sort out profile-related issues, especially when the existing profile works OK for the user.

That's why we have dedicated Win7 VMs just for doing PST imports.

When that's not convenient, I create a new user account on the user's machine, and thereby get a fresh, clean Outlook profile with which to do the import.

Glad a change in profiles worked for you,
    Mark

mvanr is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    We use the following technique for performing PST imports:
    1. Use a dedicated, plain Win7-Outlook 2010 virtual machine with a clean profile.
    2. Run scanpst on the file to be imported as many times as it takes to get an error-free run.
    3. Make the registry changes required to increase the maximum size of attachments to match that set on your Zimbra server.
    4. Make the registry changes required to increase the number of errors the PST importer will tolerate before failing and stopping the import.

Hope that helps,
    Mark
    I am getting the same error on XP with Outlook 2010. The import fails after 4 errors with a "too many errors" message. I set the ErrorThreshold to 0 in the registry as instructed, but it seems to be ignored. Are these definitely the right keys? I'm only interested in importing calendars, contacts and notes - the message will come later via imapsync. Thanks.

pesphil is offline Starter Member

I ran the v7.1 pst import wizard using an XP machine with Outlook 2010 and getting exactly the same error as mentioned above. Created a brand new Outlook profile and still errors out. Moved the pst file to an XP machine running Outlook 2007 and used the same import wizard and it runs fine, no errors.

I tried using a fresh user account and made sure that scanpst reported no errors, but it still fails. Unfortunately, I don't have Outlook 2007. I am at a loss, but this does not inspire me with confidence as to the compatibility of Outlook and Zimbra.

In the process I've lost of all my contacts, calendar and notes and I hope they come back if I uninstall the ZCS Outlook connector. Just as well I am only on a trial version...

Next problem. I ran the ZCO uninstaller which ran without errors reported. I started Outlook hoping to have my contacts and calendar back, but instead I get a message which says "Cannot open your default e-mail folders. An unexpected error has occurred. MAPI was unable to load the information service LSMSSP.DLL. Be sue the service is correctly installed and configured."

I click "Ok" and Outlook shuts down. Great. Now it seems Zimbra has broken Outlook entirely and I've got to try and figure out how to fix the mess it's made.

Thread Information