Thread: Migrating user files to server

hanna.nau is offline New Member

Default Migrating user files to server

Currently i am in process of migration from a mail server outsourced to a local Zimbra mail server.The users use POP3 to download all the e-mails to their PCs.

With the new mail system all the e-mails will have to be imported to the Zimbra server and the protocol will be IMAP.

The users use different email clients: outlook, Thunderbird, outlook express.

I found on Zimbra wiki how to migrate from outlook using the import wizard, also found the way to migrate from Thunderbird files using a temporary IMAP server.

but i didn't find the way to migrate from outlook express.
    I appreciate any help if someone have dealt with a similar case before.

is there anyone who knows how to migrate outlook express files on a local user to the zimbra server

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hanna.nau View Post
    is there anyone who knows how to migrate outlook express files on a local user to the zimbra server
    There is no direct method of importing the email into Zimbra. You can connect Outlook Express directly to a Zimbra IMAP account and that should transfer the email or you could export it from OE, connect to a Zimbra IMAP account the import the email into that account. You could use Thunderbird to do it as well: +"outlook express" +linux +thunderbird - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    There is no direct method of importing the email into Zimbra. You can connect Outlook Express directly to a Zimbra IMAP account and that should transfer the email or you could export it from OE, connect to a Zimbra IMAP account the import the email into that account. You could use Thunderbird to do it as well: +"outlook express" +linux +thunderbird - Yahoo! Search Results
    Thank you for your reply.
    in that case i would prefer to import the files to outlook first because the majority of the users are using outlook.

when i connect to the server using imap the server files will override the client files, and in my case the mailbox on the server side will be empty so i will loose the e-mails stored at the client side. is there a way to reverse this ? i mean by that make the client files override the files on the server at first login ?

spectra is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by hanna.nau View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    in that case i would prefer to import the files to outlook first because the majority of the users are using outlook.

when i connect to the server using imap the server files will override the client files, and in my case the mailbox on the server side will be empty so i will loose the e-mails stored at the client side. is there a way to reverse this ? i mean by that make the client files override the files on the server at first login ?
    So if you have it in Outlook, just dump to a PST file.
    Zimbra then allows you to import from a PST file.
    Search the forum and you will find that how-to

Thread Information