Thread: Migrate from Large Postfix/Winbind/KRB (Maildirs) to Zimbra

lburton is offline Starter Member

Default Migrate from Large Postfix/Winbind/KRB (Maildirs) to Zimbra

I have been using Zimbra for my personal email for quite a while, and I am looking into moving my school (TJHSST ) to Zimbra.

The issue is I can't use imapsync like I did for my home stuff. I would _need_ to migrate 1700+ users to Zimbra, user account information should be easy enough as they are all in nice user systems (We have ADS on windows, and I sync to Hesiod/OpenLDAP/NIS on linux). I am more worried about Maildir->Zimbra.. and I'm not quite sure how Zimbra stores mail internally as I really haven't looked at it.

But just to get the ball rolling so to speak, does anyone have any ideas? or even better .. a working script.. (this is sounding like a bit of hacky perl to me...)
    Thanks in advance,
    Lee Burton
    Head Student Systems Administrator TJHSST

marcmac is offline Expert Member

You can use zmlmtpinject to grab the rfc822 message files from your old install - should be plenty of info in the forums on this.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

lburton is offline Starter Member

Ok, so from looking at that tool I can run
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlmtpinject -s lburton@tjhsst.edu -d /home/mail/users/2007/lburton/Maildir/cur -r lburton@tjhsst.edu
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlmtpinject -s lburton@tjhsst.edu -d /home/mail/users/2007/lburton/Maildir/new -r lburton@tjhsst.edu
    To _send_ myself all my old mail.. which works, but isn't really optimal.. what is Zimbra's internal mail storage? is there anyway in which to interface more directly with it?
    Also I can setup authentication to work fine with ADS/OpenLDAP.. but about account creation.. should I just run a script that runs zmprov ca user1@domain.com randpasshere

Does that init the mailboxes? I read "The mailbox is created on the Zimbra server upon the userís first log in to the system." at http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...ilbox_Features
    Does that mean they won't be able to recieve mail until they login?
    -Lee

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by lburton
    Ok, so from looking at that tool I can run
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlmtpinject -s lburton@tjhsst.edu -d /home/mail/users/2007/lburton/Maildir/cur -r lburton@tjhsst.edu
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmlmtpinject -s lburton@tjhsst.edu -d /home/mail/users/2007/lburton/Maildir/new -r lburton@tjhsst.edu
    To _send_ myself all my old mail.. which works, but isn't really optimal.. what is Zimbra's internal mail storage? is there anyway in which to interface more directly with it?
    No, since we need to store the metadata in sql. I don't understand what this won't accomplish for you, since it'll allow you to inject mail for any user.
    Also I can setup authentication to work fine with ADS/OpenLDAP.. but about account creation.. should I just run a script that runs zmprov ca user1@domain.com randpasshere

Does that init the mailboxes? I read "The mailbox is created on the Zimbra server upon the userís first log in to the system." at http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...ilbox_Features
    Does that mean they won't be able to recieve mail until they login?
    -Lee
    Yes, you can use a script to create users. The mailbox is created on login or the receipt of a message.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thread Information