Thread: Migration from SQL Based Application

zlthomps is offline New Member

Default Migration from SQL Based Application

Hello all, new to the community and interested in learning more about the migration process. I found the Wiki located here User Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki, but I didn't see the information I am specifically interested in learning.

We have a web-based application that is currently in development. We will be migrating about 850 database instances each on a devoted server to our singular instance, and we will likely be using Zimbra to support the email scope of our application.

Currently fragments of email messages are handled/stored in a multitude of places within the application's database and historical information has been stored starting at the inception of the system (by design). For instance we have message body, uidl, email accounts, email history etc.. in a variety of different tables. The idea here is that all the information currently stored in the app's database will need migrated to the Zimbra tool.

The plan was that an SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) package would be created to modify and massage this data into a format which is acceptable to be imported into a Zimbra instances. My question is, what exactly would target format look like, and what are the list of requirements for a successful import into Zimbra from an SQL Server database. I've been told that each individual email must be exported in a single txt document, is this correct? If so how this this document be delimited.

Thanks Again & Cheers!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Zimbra doesn't store it's mail in an SQL database, it's stored on the HD.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Bill, I understand that mail messages are stored on the HDD ... however what about importing of email accounts, usernames, and passwords? Also customer email address. As far as individual mail messages, if they are stored on the HDD, how are they stored and in what format? Are these txt files, if so how is the information delimited/formatted within the text file.

Thanks again for the assistance.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by zlthomps View Post
    Thanks Bill, I understand that mail messages are stored on the HDD ... however what about importing of email accounts, usernames, and passwords? Also customer email address. As far as individual mail messages, if they are stored on the HDD, how are they stored and in what format? Are these txt files, if so how is the information delimited/formatted within the text file.
    I'd suggest a good place to start would be the System Architecture section of the Admin Guide. You can create user accounts etc. by using zmprov with a csv file of the accounts you wish to create and there are also some scripts in the forums that give details of what's needed.

You can import mail with zmmailbox or zmlmtpinject and there's further details in the Mail Migration wiki article here: Mail Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks so much Bill, I will review the resources you list, and post with further questions if/when they arise.

Thanks,
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zlthomps View Post
    Thanks so much Bill, I will review the resources you list, and post with further questions if/when they arise.

Thanks,
    Zach
    Bill, is there a sample file anywhere of what a singular email message may look as it resides on the hard drive. The challenge here will be for me to create an SSIS package that will export each email message into its own file from a database containing millions of historical email messages.

Additionally, as I read through the material you have listed I am seeing that I can create an xml file output for the purpose of importing email account settings however this option seems targeted towards Exchange only. Is this option possible for my application exporting data from a database, or is the CSV the best option for importing multiple accounts. If so, do documented requirements exist for this CSV in terms of required column headers, etc...?

Thread Information