Thread: Clean install and keeping data

Dirk is offline Moderator

Default Clean install and keeping data

So, this is in regard to the OSS version.

I've upgraded my install a few times as new releases are made, but I cant help thinking that things may be better with a clean install, so I get to thinking that it may be nice to simply install from fresh and then somehow bring the data across.

I think this could be done, but I'm unsure how. Perhaps if I recreate the accounts from scratch on the new install and then use imapsync to bring the mail over (dont know how to use that yet though) but then calendar data etc becomes an issue.

Is there an easy way to add the data to a fresh install in this way, or should I just give up?

for info, one of the reasons I'm considering this is due to the problems with the daily reports, which still dont work on version4, I'm sure the zimbra team will say it does work, and that's exactly why I want a clean 4.0 install rather than the messed up version I have now.

rsharpe is offline Elite Member & Volunteer

You could backup the data then restore it to the new server. There is a forum thread on how to do this for the the OSS.

If that's anything like the 'take a copy of /opt/zimbra and restore it when finished' process that I've been using for backups, then I'm familiar with it. The problem of course is that along with the user data and config data, it will put back anything that may be old or incorrect too.

I may well be barking up the wrong tree, I guess it's my windows background that's making me think a fresh install is the best way.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

IMAPsync should work but you lose calendar/contact data and maybe even conversations. Ideally the upgrade would just fix your issues but no promises
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

cshepherd is offline Active Member

I'm also looking to do the same. I have a faily hacked up Breezy/Zimbra3.0 install and want to start fresh on a Sarge server with Zimbra4.

I've tried copying the entire /opt/zimbra from the old server to the new server and none of the data seems to come across, I'm guessing there's some problems with going cross platform.

I familiarised myself with the backup restore procedure for OSS, and successfully backed up and restored to the same platform.

Is there a more specific MySQL dump and list of files to copy (i.e. Data only) that I can import into any install? I'm expecting to import into a Zimbra3 install and then upgrade, but even better if I can just import into Zimbra4.

imapsync would be fine except I really need all the calendar data (even more important than the e-mails)

Thanks

I did complete this for my home server, which only handles two accounts, I would not like to do it for more accounts than that.

I exported the contacts from each account as a csv. I exported that calendars as ics files

Then I logged in to the accounts via imap and outlook, made a new pst file, copied all the mail into it, imported the ics file into it.

Then recreated the accounts from scratch on the fresh server, import the data drom the pst and cvs, manually remake all aliases and mail filters and job done.

Not a very good method, but it worked without a hitch, which is nice.

cshepherd is offline Active Member

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thread Information