Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zimbra as secondary in split domain not accepting email to server hostname.

soxfan is offline Moderator

Jshtimsj, not to interrupt your troubleshooting steps with Phoenix, but I think you may need to step back and review the Split Domain document a bit more. In the setup the document describes you would have an existing email server for some domain, let's say mydomain.com, and you want to introduce a Zimbra server which will also receive email for the same domain (mydomain.com). If I'm reading your previous posts correctly you seem to trying to send mail to mail.xyz.com and zimbra.xyz.com (or maybe it's xyz.com and zimbra.xyz.com). This isn't how Split Domain works. If you want to use a Split Domain setup you will need to decide if you want Zimbra to be primary or secondary. It sounds like secondary is a better method for you at this point, so you would need to figure out how to forward email from your existing QMail server over to the new Zimbra server for any accounts that you migrate. This is not explained in the Wiki doc. Configuring the Zimbra server as the secondary is described perfectly in the document.

jshtimsj is offline Active Member

I have read the split domain document several times. Using xyz.com as our example I'll try to go through this one more time using the configuration example from the wiki page. Please feel free to point out what I'm missing.

* My domain is xyz.com

* My existing mail infrastructure lives on the host "mail.xyz.com" We only have this one single node. This mail server runs Qmail.

* My domain xyz.com has MX record that points to host "mail.xyz.com" at IP 10.10.0.1

* Users "james@xyz.com" and "bar@xyz.com" exist in the old system.

* I've installed Zimbra on the host "mail1.xyz.com" and created the domain "xyz.com" on it also.

* I've migrated the mailbox of user "james@xyz.com" to the Zimbra system, using imapsync.

I've then continued on to the secondary section running:

$ zmprov md xyz.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @xyz.com
    $ zmprov md xyz.com zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @xyz.com
    $ zmprov md xyz.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:mail.xyz.com

And

$ zmprov mcf zimbraMtaRelayHost mail.xyz.com
    $ zmprov mcf zimbraMtaDnsLookupsEnabled FALSE

Finally it states

Make sure to configure mail.xyz.com to

* accept mail relayed by mail1.xyz.com. - This is done via the /etc/tcp.smtp file in Qmail and is setup.
    * forward mail to mail1.xyz.com for accounts hosted on Zimbra - this is where I am stumped...It appears to me Zimbra does not accept email to its hostname.

From this point I assumed I would be able to send an email from our old mail server to james@mail1.xyz.com or james@10.10.0.5 (the IP of the new zimbra server a.k.a mail1.xyz.com), however it doesn't appear that Zimbra by default accepts emails to its hostname or IP adress. So my question is how does one point email from the old mail server to the new mail server when they are both setup for the xyz.com domain? I setup the alias 'zimbra.xyz.com' later in an attempt to create an alias domain in zimbra, but that didn't work either. Under 'Examples of Mail Flow' it only gives the example of sending from the zimbra server to an account on the primary server, not vice versa, so I'm confused as to what forwarding address should be setup for user accounts on the primary server to use to forward email to the zimbra server. Also I've asked several times and haven't gotten an answer. Does Zimbra accept email to its hostname or IP, or does it only accept email to its primary mail domain by default (in my example xyz.com)? If the later is true, how do you enable Zimbra to accept email to its hostname?

Thanks.

Well, I apologize it does sound like you are on the right track with the Split Domain setup. Unfortunately, I don't know qmail, and I think that is really where your problem lies. I just did a quick search of the forums and it seems like others who are migrating from qmail have had issues similar to what you are running into.

Blame it on Qmail! Can you at least point me to how one does just one of the following (preferably one of the first two) with the lastest Zimbra 6.0.6

* Accept email to the hostname of the Zimbra server (james@mail1.xyz.com)
    * Accept email to the IP address the Zimbra server (james@10.10.0.5)
    * Setup an alias domain.

Thanks

I believe I've found a solution. Qmail does appear to resolve a CNAME RR to the corresponding A RR before sending the email. So in my example when I setup the CNAME zimbra.xyz.com -> mail1.xyz.com and tested sending emails to james@zimbra.xzy.com, the Qmail MTA expanded zimbra.xyz.com -> mail1.xyz.com then sent the email. I should have either created a full sub zone or at least an A record for this. When I changed it to an A record I was able to forward email from my Qmail server to the new Zimbra server using zimbra.xyz.com. I realized this after testing with a Sendmail server which did work with zimbra.xyz.com being a CNAME. Long story short I probably should have setup a sub zone zimbra.xyz.com for the zimbra alias domain with a proper MX, etc. to avoid any MTA confusion.

I still would like to know how to get zimbra to alias its hostname (or IP) to its primary mail domain. Email currently bounces due to it reading /etc/aliases for local delivery and no user aliases being there. So another solution would be to populate /etc/aliases with aliases to xyx.com accounts. Not elegant for large (or small) migrations. Regardless, If the venerable Qmail can do this I know Zimbra (postfix) can.

Thanks again for your time soxfan and phoenix.

No, not "blaming" QMail at all. Just don't know it well enough to comment on how to configure forwarding so that it works with the Split Domain setup. A quick search turned up dot-forward and fastforward mechanisms, but I'm not sure these will work in this scenario or not.

* Accept email to the hostname of the Zimbra server (james@mail1.xyz.com)
    Well, to do this I think you would have to configure Zimbra so that the domain is mail1.xyz.com during initial setup. However, I don't think this is what you want.

Don't know about receiving by IP address or the "alias" domain.

Postfix has a transport table, which allows you to say for this particular email address forward to this server. Not forwarding to a different email address; more like "for jdoe@mydomain.com forward to <IP of server>". Does QMail have anything that works like this?

"Postfix has a transport table, which allows you to say for this particular email address forward to this server. Not forwarding to a different email address; more like "for jdoe@mydomain.com forward to <IP of server>". Does QMail have anything that works like this?"

yes qmail has this ability. the 'smtproutes' file would be one way of accomplishing this as well as forward with .qmail files.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information