Thread: [SOLVED] Split Domain / Groupwise 7 to zimbra 6

gimecoffee is offline Intermediate Member

Default [SOLVED] Split Domain / Groupwise 7 to zimbra 6

I like the idea presented in this wiki article
    Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki

and I get how to make zimbra the primary but what about doing this with Groupwise(GW) 7 as the secondary that I'm migrating away from. I'd like to make Zimbra my primary mail handler and switch users from the Groupwise 7 server as I'm able over the coarse of a few weeks. I've setup Zimbra to forward all mail to the GW server but once I switch the a user to zimbra, how do I get GW to send mail to a zimbra user (john@example.com) from a user still on the secondary(ralph@example.com? I can't seem find any references to user routing or forwarding for GW.

I've had experience with Postfix and there are docs for Zimbra but I have no experience with GW server and I'm not even sure what this function/feature would be called.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

Thank you
    Rois Cannon

I'd love to have some feedback on this method. I am using it and it appears to be working.

Groupwise 7 (GW) being the primary and Zimbra being secondary during the switch over time period.
    In zimbra -
    All user accounts for the domain are setup
    All user accounts zimbraMailTransport smtp:[GW IP for FQDN]
    Relay MTA for external delivery:[GW IP for FQDN]

In GW -
    * Forward Undeliverable Inbound Messages to Host: [zimbra host name]
    Documents{
    Section 46.1.6 Internet Agent/Configuring Internet Services/Configuring SMTPMIME Services/
    Determining What to Do with Undeliverable Messages
    Novell Doc: GroupWise 7 Administration Guide - Configuring SMTP/MIME Services
    }
    ( Not sure if GW requires a reload for this or not because I'm not the GW admin )

When you are ready to switch a user to the zimbra server -
    In zimbra -
    Set the user zimbraMailTransport lmtp:[zimbra FQDN]:7025 and do a postfix reload
    In GW -
    * Expire the user account.

This setup sends all undeliverable email from GW to zimbra to handle. When you expire the user in GW, GW considers mail sent to that user undeliverable and forwards the message to zimbra for a try at delivering. Since we've change the zimbraMailTransport for that user to the local lmtp, the message will be delivered to the user on zimbra. If this user sends a message to a user of the current domain, zimbra delivers according to that users zimbraMailTransport.

Once I'm done getting everyone rolled to the zimbra server I can take down the GW server and let zimbra become the primary.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Rois Cannon

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gimecoffee View Post
    Once I'm done getting everyone rolled to the zimbra server I can take down the GW server and let zimbra become the primary.

Thoughts? Feedback?
    Yes, that would be the procedure.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Expiring the user's account on GW is not doing what I thought it was. The account I tested on wasn't really setup at all on GW so that's why it came through to zimbra(mis-communication as to the name that was setup.) It turns out that when an account is expired on GW it sends a message back to the originator saying that the account is expired. Anyone know how to change this function to make an account un-deliverable (so GW will forward it to zimbra) without deleting it? I'd like to keep GW around for a very short time as a fall back?

Thoughts?
    Rois Cannon

I ended up using this solution in GW to help me.
    Cool Solutions: Making a Forwarder Appear to Be the Original Sender

I setup an alias for each user in zimbra. Then I switched them over to Zimbra one at time as as I had time. When I did the switch, I setup a forward rule in the GW email client to send all mail to the Zimbra server for that staffer. Since I didn't have to roll everyone on at once I was able to give staffers some individual attention and tweak Zimbra for them personally. Worked really well and most staffers were very happy.

Of coarse I only had 40+ staffers to migrate. This method would probably not be great with hundreds of people to move unless you had lots of time.

Rois Cannon

Thread Information