Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Migration 6.04 32bit to 64bit step-by-step and cannot receive mails

adrian15 is offline Member

I have written supposed backup mail server several times. I thought you would have infered that I meant that I actually did not know if it was or not a backup server.

The guy who is in charge to talk to ISP (which it is not me) will hopefully make clear this point.

adrian15

adrian15 is offline Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by adrian15 View Post
    I thought you would have infered that I meant that I actually did not know if it was or not a backup server.

The guy who is in charge to talk to ISP (which it is not me) will hopefully make clear this point.

adrian15
    The ISP mx is actually a mx backup server but only if you pay a fee. So... actually it was not acting as an mx backup server.

I think we are going to setup another zimbra in another server to be a backup-and-send-later server. If I do not find information on how to setup it I will ask it here but I will open a new thread for it.

After changing the mx order (so that our mx had the most priority (the smallest number)) emails were received with no problem at all.

Thank you all for your useful pieces of advice.

adrian15

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by adrian15 View Post
    I think we are going to setup another zimbra in another server to be a backup-and-send-later server.
    My recommendation would be to either use a professional service that provides a backup MX service or use something like a DNS hosting company that has a backup MX as part of the package. I use EasyDNS for my hosting and it provides a service (included in your DNS hosting fee) the will accept mail for yourr domain when your server is down and forward it to your server when it's back on-line - it will store the mail for up-to five days before bouncing it. This set-up means you don't have to bother about the problem of spam (a backup MX is a target for spammers) nor the cost/effort of maintaining a second server. I have no association with EasyDNS other than as a satisfied customer and there are others available if you do a search on google.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

uxbod is offline Moderator

I completely agree with Phoenix that IMHO the most cost effective approach is to use a provider that can offer that type of service. I personally use DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting and have done so for a number of years now. And again, like Phoenix, I have no association with them apart from being a happy Easter bunny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information