Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra to Zimbra migration issue

peemhq is offline Junior Member

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra to Zimbra migration issue

Hi

First of all, greetings.

I'm struggling with some issue related to migration of Zimbra service to new server. Client decided to change hardware and operating system in their Zimbra installation. Now, old server is running 64-bit Ubuntu. New system is CentOS 5.4, as well 64-bit. Because of the network speed between old and new server, all I have is usb hard disk with copy of /opt/zimbra directory made using rsync. From this forum and wiki it seems that my steps should be :

1. install Zimbra on new system.
    2. remove /opt/zimbra/*
    3. rsync /backup/opt/zimbra to /opt/zimbra
    4. run install again, allowing it to update.

As long as ZCS version is exactly the same (zcs-NETWORK-5.0.6_GA_2313), this should work. However, installation hangs on "Initializing Documents...". This is what I can see in logs :

Fri Mar 26 19:05:25 2010 Initializing Documents...
    Fri Mar 26 19:05:25 2010 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled TRUE

Hostname is exactly the same . IP changed, but new server uses DNS which resolves to this new IP with hostname and MX record.

Any ideas what is going on ?? Is this even right way of doing it ??

Regards
    Piotr

abhiz is offline Advanced Member

Please post the output from command

zmcontrol -v

update ur profile too

Note: Run this command as zimbra user.

Hi

This is what I'm getting from zmcontrol -v as zimbra user :

Code:
    $ zmcontrol -v

Release 5.0.6_GA_2313.RHEL5_64_20080522105815 CentOS5_64 NETWORK edition
    Regards
    Piotr

maxxer is online now Trained Alumni

While the procedure you describe should basically work, since it is not I would give a try at this solution:
    Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

it looks a little more complex (but not as you would think), but copies data only, so you should encouter less problems with the new install.

I used that to move from 32 to 64 and after few little mistakes it ran perfectly.
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

borngunners is offline Advanced Member

In addition to what Maxxer said...I was able to migrate from 32bit to 64 bit myself with the community edition. I did follow the procedures from the wiki, but ran into couple of problems... Search borngunners and look through my thread and you will find the solution. At some point during the migration, I did not follow the wiki and choose not to do the upgrade again after copying the zimbra directory. I just ran the command to fix the permission and it all worked

Hi

Thanks for the tips. I will try them now.

However, can you tell me what exactly is that "Initializing Documents" ?? Maybe there is something I could do to make this one working. Reason is that an old server is still working, so I would have to do rsync at some point before finally switching it off. And I'm kind of worried about transferring ~ 450 GB over slow network, as the old server is in different location to the new one.

Regards
    Piotr
    Regards
    Piotr

maxxer is online now Trained Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by peemhq View Post
    However, can you tell me what exactly is that "Initializing Documents" ?? Maybe there is something I could do to make this one working. Reason is that an old server is still working, so I would have to do rsync at some point before finally switching it off. And I'm kind of worried about transferring ~ 450 GB over slow network, as the old server is in different location to the new one.
    if you rsync now, and transfer the "live" system data, you can safely re-run rsync later and will only copy new files, not all the 450GB.

Btw, you can also try disabling Documents in install.sh config menu (given that you have that option in upgrade, not sure ...).

The fact that it's failing while executing zmprov is sympthom there is something more than just documents...
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

Yes, I'm expecting a much smaller amount of data in final rsync. but I'm trying to understand what is going on, because of two things :

1. Upgrade procedure seems to be the best way of setting up new server from point of integrity. All other ones are a little bit more tricky.
    2. I need to be sure that new server provides same service as old one. If the default upgrade procedure fails, I can't guarantee this, which is not good.

Would there be a way for me to debug zmprov process ??

One other thing is permissions. zmfixperm runs fine, but leaves couple of dirs with uid and gid from old server. These dirs are 777, so it shouldn't be a problem, but such uid and gid does not exist on a new machine. Maybe this is related to problems I'm seeing ??
    Regards
    Piotr

I may have some more informations. I've ran an upgrade again, but when it hanged on "Documents" again, I've stopped all zimbra processes and killed all left overs. It finished with errors in log. It seems that those errors might be legitimate, as I've stopped ldap, but maybe this can point to right direction :

Code:
    Tue Apr  6 16:11:12 2010 Initializing Documents...
    Tue Apr  6 16:11:12 2010 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled TRUE
    ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection reset, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.SocketException Connection reset)
    Tue Apr  6 16:25:54 2010 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov mcf zimbraNotebookAccount wiki@clientdomain.com
    ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.ConnectException Connection refused)
    Tue Apr  6 16:25:55 2010 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov in wiki@clientdomain.com
    ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.ConnectException Connection refused)
    Tue Apr  6 16:25:56 2010 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled FALSE
    Tue Apr  6 16:25:57 2010 failed to initialize documents...see logfile for details.
    Tue Apr  6 16:25:57 2010 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled TRUE
    Tue Apr  6 16:25:58 2010 Restarting mailboxd...
    Tue Apr  6 16:25:58 2010 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmmailboxdctl restart
    mailboxd started.
    Tue Apr  6 16:26:01 2010 done.
    Tue Apr  6 16:26:01 2010 *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmupdateauthkeys
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: ZimbraLdapContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException hostname:389)
    Updating /opt/zimbra/.ssh/authorized_keys

Tue Apr  6 16:26:03 2010 checking isEnabled zimbra-ldap
    Tue Apr  6 16:26:03 2010 zimbra-ldap is enabled
    Tue Apr  6 16:26:03 2010 checking isEnabled zimbra-store
    Tue Apr  6 16:26:03 2010 zimbra-store is enabled
    Tue Apr  6 16:26:03 2010 checking isEnabled zimbra-logger
    Tue Apr  6 16:26:03 2010 zimbra-logger is enabled
    Tue Apr  6 16:26:04 2010 checking isEnabled zimbra-mta
    Tue Apr  6 16:26:04 2010 zimbra-mta is enabled
    Tue Apr  6 16:26:04 2010 

Tue Apr  6 16:26:04 2010 Moving /tmp/zmsetup.01001900-000090112480.log to /opt/zimbra/log
    Regards
    Piotr

Ok, Looks like I've sorted it. I was pretty sure that install script or zmcontrol can detect couple of common permission errors and zmfixperm should deal with mostof them, but it seems that it is not the case. All the time I was searching for issue and I saw mysqld process running, so I assumed that it is not a problem. Now, closer investigation showed that this mysql process runs on port 7307, while default my.cnf file sets this to be 7306. This got me thinking and I found out that my.cnf has wrong permissions. Mysql refuses to use world-writable my.cnf file, so changing that to 664 sorted this problem, making upgrade process to run nicely. However, there was no error log in zimbra logs (as this log location is defined in that unused my.cnf file). Not a single log line was added to default logfiles as well, which left me without clues. Thanks for your help anyway.
    Regards
    Piotr

Thread Information