Thread: Exchange public folders migrate to Zimbra

batfastad is offline Elite Member

Question Exchange public folders migrate to Zimbra

Hi everyone

We are currently running SBS 2003 and we make pretty big use of the Public Folders, about 20GB of mail is stored in them. We're a small business of 11 users and I'm gradually migrating us to Zimbra NE (cannot wait to get rid of Exchange!)
    I was planning on creating a company@ourbusiness.com Zimbra account, importing all the mail into that account and then sharing that account out to our Zimbra users.
    But the problem I face is getting that mail out of Exchange Public Folders, as I'm guessing the regular Exchange Migration tool will only work for Exchange mailboxes.

Anyone got an elegant solution to this?

I think my only option is to create a temporary mailbox in Exchange, move all the mail from the public folder into that account, then migrate that account to Zimbra using the Exchange Migration tool.

We're currently using the NE trial but will be going for the Starter Pack of 15 NE licenses once the trial runs out.
    Does the admin@ account count towards our allocation of 15 mailboxes?
    Just wondering if I should use the admin@ account to share out our Public Folders mail/calendars, rather than creating a new company@ account

Cheers, B

uxbod is offline Moderator

I am working on a similar thing and used the approach of creating a resource called teamshare@domain.com (this means a license is not used). For migrating the email I did originally attempt to use the Exchange tool; but due to how it appears to not take across HTML properly Bug 44794 - Migrated messages w/ inline images from exch to zcs are not rendering I am now using Outlook to connect to both Zimbra and Exchange and drag 'n' drop the emails between the two. That approach works very nicely indeed

Interesting. I did not know about that bug but now I think about it, that will be the reason loads of my mails now have that problem. I thought it was just down to me messing about with the "Display External Images" setting about 10 times.

So you can share items out from a resource, that's excellent.
    Certainly better than sharing everything out from the admin account
    Can a user login to that resource and create new shares etc? Eg: new shared calendars/address books?

I take it a resource such as teamshare@domain.com can't be mail-enabled though?

For example, I'm looking to create an alias editorial@domain.com and have it associated with the company@domain.com "shared" account.
    Then I could create mail filters under the company@ account to have mail sent to editorial@domain.com moved into one of those shared folders.
    Can that even work?

If it can, then I guess the only way to it is to use up a license slot and have company@ being a full mailbox and not just a resource.

Cheers, B

Oh it can indeed To answer your questions yes somebody can login to create new shares/address books; or even perform the task from the CLI using zmmailbox.

dalmate is offline Elite Member

To migrate datas of the public folder, we use imapsync tool, it done so cool

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Oh it can indeed To answer your questions yes somebody can login to create new shares/address books; or even perform the task from the CLI using zmmailbox.
    Sweet
    So can I do all that with a resource? Or would I have to have it set up as a full mailbox account?

Cheers, B

When I set it up I could quite happily log into the account and create a shared address book. Performed the same from the command line and then mounted the share to each user with the necessary privileges they required.

Quote Originally Posted by dalmate View Post
    To migrate datas of the public folder, we use imapsync tool, it done so cool
    So I can use imapsync to go from a Public Folder to a new Zimbra account?
    I guess I should be able to.
    One thing that annoyed me with Exchange SBS 2003 is that I never managed to get write-access working to the Public Folders over IMAP.
    But I imapsync only needs to read from Exchange then write to Zimbra

I think imapsync is the best way.

Certainly easier than me moving the Public Folders to a temporary Exchange mailbox then using the Exchange Migration Tool to transfer, especially since the Exchange Migration Tool is apparently broken with that bug.

Thanks for the help!
    I'll definitely look into setting our new Zimbra public folders up under a resource account instead so we don't use a license slot.

Cheers, B

Thread Information